car insurance query

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So my brother has been left a car in the will of a friend of my mums, a decent enough motor maybe worth £8 or £9K.
He is not a car person, can drive but has never owned or sold a car as he lives in a flat in Edinburgh with nowhere to keep it. He wants the cash value, not the car.
He would like me to sell it for him.
Currently it is not insured by anyone. I will need to drive it 3 hours from my mums to my home.
It has just been taxed and it's getting an MOT later this week.

With the intention of only keeping it a short while (and if lockdown movement restrictions are lifted sufficiently) what is the best way to insure it?

1. Can I add it to my wife's own fully comp insurance (even though it's not her car) to enable me to drive it? I am only a named driver on her policy at the moment for our shared car.
2. Me take out my own insurance for it even though it's not my car? Is that even possible?
3. If my brother takes out his own insurance as owner (with no intention of driving it) should I be a named driver on his policy?
4. Is it advantageous to take out a short term policy for say 1 or 2 months or just get a regular yearly one on monthly DD and cancel it if and when the car sells?
5. As a named driver on a fully comp policy does that mean I am already covered and entitled to drive any car?

Likely the car will only be with me short term until it sells.

Feel like I should know this but really looking for the best(cheapest) legal solution.

TIA

One very important point that is being overlooked. -

You will have to register the car in your name and the owner will have to agree to you owning the car whilst you sell it. Most insurance companies will not agree to issuing insurance otherwise.

re post # 16 remember when you tax if when it is sod you get back any unexpired portion of the TAX

Have you considered having it transported to where you want it.

U

User62651

Why not try We Buy Any Car or similar? It might be the simplest way and it'll get it off your hands quickly. Google "Car Buyers, Edinburgh" plenty there.
Pitiful offer received (wbac) but it is an option.

U

User62651