car insurance query

U

User62651

So my brother has been left a car in the will of a friend of my mums, a decent enough motor maybe worth £8 or £9K.
He is not a car person, can drive but has never owned or sold a car as he lives in a flat in Edinburgh with nowhere to keep it. He wants the cash value, not the car.
He would like me to sell it for him.
Currently it is not insured by anyone. I will need to drive it 3 hours from my mums to my home.
It has just been taxed and it's getting an MOT later this week.

With the intention of only keeping it a short while (and if lockdown movement restrictions are lifted sufficiently) what is the best way to insure it?

1. Can I add it to my wife's own fully comp insurance (even though it's not her car) to enable me to drive it? I am only a named driver on her policy at the moment for our shared car.
2. Me take out my own insurance for it even though it's not my car? Is that even possible?
3. If my brother takes out his own insurance as owner (with no intention of driving it) should I be a named driver on his policy?
4. Is it advantageous to take out a short term policy for say 1 or 2 months or just get a regular yearly one on monthly DD and cancel it if and when the car sells?
5. As a named driver on a fully comp policy does that mean I am already covered and entitled to drive any car?

Likely the car will only be with me short term until it sells.

Feel like I should know this but really looking for the best(cheapest) legal solution.

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
1 & 2 You don't have to be the owner to be the Registered Keeper for tax purposes.

3 Likely to be expensive

4 I suggest you contact a broker and discuss the benefits of both options.

5 No

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can just insure it on a short term cover note (temporary policy) for a few days or weeks. Depending on the make and model cost varies. I insured my mates RS4 on a week cover note last year and it was £35.

On point 5, if you are a policy holder and have a fully comp policy on your vehicle then you are insured to drive another vehicle on a 3rd party only basis as long as that vehicle is insured on a fully comprehensive policy by someone else.

I don't think this applies to named drivers although it may be policy/provider specific.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your insurance covers you to drive a car not belonging to you or not part of a hire purchase agreement. You only get third party insurance though.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Adding a temporary cover note is hardly complex. How will the car be driven to WBAC?
I went from memory of my FiL selling his car through them. I thought they picked it up from you after giving the intial valuation, agreed the price. The collector then confirms everything is right, adjusts the price if necessary and then away they go with the car. I have just checked and you have to take it to a branch still for the final leg meaning you still have to have the note. It's a fair cop guv :D

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I went from memory of my FiL selling his car through them. I thought they picked it up from you after giving the intial valuation, agreed the price. The collector then confirms everything is right, adjusts the price if necessary and then away they go with the car. I have just checked and you have to take it to a branch still for the final leg meaning you still have to have the note. It's a fair cop guv :D

I think there are other companies similar to WBAC who will pick the car up from your house.

I sold the wife's 9yo Fiesta to WBAC last December. They were surprisingly good to deal with. Got an online valuation from them which was £800 more than the next best (I got about a dozen quotes, the majority from Carwow, who use The Car Buying Group, who in turn get a load of garages to provide quotes).

I had to be told to expect them to knock a substantial amount off the online offer once they had inspected it, however, although the car was not in great nick, they only knocked £200 off, so I was more than happy with that. I do know some people have had the opposite experience with them though.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
One thing that needs to be considered here is that if the DVLA have been notified that the current keeper has died then the tax is no longer valid. This would be ceased upon notification and refund issued to the estate.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think there are other companies similar to WBAC who will pick the car up from your house.

I sold the wife's 9yo Fiesta to WBAC last December. They were surprisingly good to deal with. Got an online valuation from them which was £800 more than the next best (I got about a dozen quotes, the majority from Carwow, who use The Car Buying Group, who in turn get a load of garages to provide quotes).

I had to be told to expect them to knock a substantial amount off the online offer once they had inspected it, however, although the car was not in great nick, they only knocked £200 off, so I was more than happy with that. I do know some people have had the opposite experience with them though.
I know two people who have used them, both very risk averse, non confrontational and so dislike the whole car selling business. Both loved the service from WBAC which is why I mentioned them. One of them received the original price quoted, the other slightly less but he knew that would the case as he had dints on the car that he had tried to explain about online but were not fully taken into account at the time. Both were very pleased with the prices received and the no pressure aspect was a big winner for them.

If there are companies that would come and collect, offering a similar service, then that would seem atttractive in the OP circumstances

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I've never had any dealings with such as WBAC or Carwow but I am not really that sure about the ethics of their business.

Of course they will provide a service for those who can't be bothered with the hassle selling privately or to a dealer - and that is great for such as those. But it feels like having them round having given you a valuation you like, then on inspection knocking hundreds off, for some sellers will play on their 'well they are here now so I might as well accept...' instinct - or much worse IMO, they play on the vulnerability of those desperately in need of money quickly...

But I can't deny that what they offer is handy for someone just looking to sell a car with minimum hassle and for whom a couple of hundred pounds won't be a deal breaker.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've never had any dealings with such as WBAC or Carwow but I am not really that sure about the ethics of their business.

Of course they will provide a service for those who can't be bothered with the hassle selling privately or to a dealer - and that is great for such as those. But it feels like having them round having given you a valuation you like, then on inspection knocking hundreds off, for some sellers will play on their 'well they are here now so I might as well accept...' instinct - or much worse IMO, they play on the vulnerability of those desperately in need of money quickly...

But I can't deny that what they offer is handy for someone just looking to sell a car with minimum hassle and for whom a couple of hundred pounds won't be a deal breaker.
I would suggest that WBAC make it very easy to sell a car without the hassle of private selling or part ex-ing with a dealer. Any buyer of a used car will barter the price down according to the cars condition, and the only place the cars bought by WBAC go to is the BCA car auctions.
My expierience of them has been that they have valued cars at more than dealers when part ex-ing, and in the case of my wifes last car £1k after adjusting for a couple of small dents.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your insurance covers you to drive a car not belonging to you or not part of a hire purchase agreement. You only get third party insurance though.

Without trawling through the other threads that is only partially correct .

The other car you will be driving has to be insured by the registered owner of the car. A lot of under 30 year olds will not have this cover on their policies and nearly all under 25 year olds.