Can a provisional driver get an insurance quote .?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My grandson will be sitting his test in a few weeks.
How can he get insurance quotes without a full licence. Before he actually buys a car.
He has seen a car he likes and has the reg number.
Any ideas ??

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
My grandson will be sitting his test in a few weeks.
How can he get insurance quotes without a full licence. Before he actually buys a car.
He has seen a car he likes and has the reg number.
Any ideas ??
Yeah black, box and if he is 17 ish you will be looking at between £2,000 and £3,000

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
If he doesn't buy a car and just I added him to my insurance ( even though he's no chance of me letting him drive it lol)
1-How much would my premium rise.
2- would he accumulate some no claims bonus.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If he doesn't buy a car and just I added him to my insurance ( even though he's no chance of me letting him drive it lol)
Only way you can find that out is to get your insurance to quote. Take note though that what you suggest is known as ‘fronting’ and is illegal. If anything happens and the insurance company find out he was the main driver it could even void the insurance.
Putting it in his name then adding you as a named driver can work out cheaper than not adding you as a named driver, but it’s still gonna cost.

Edit: I’m an idiot, answered to the complete opposite of what williamalex1 posted. Back to sleep for me.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A named driver who isn’t the main driver doesn’t normally earn any no claims.
If your talking about making him the main driver and you just a nearest driver on your policy would see you policy voided in the event of an accident with all the repercussions that would bring.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Only way you can find that out is to get your insurance to quote. Take note though that what you suggest is known as ‘fronting’ and is illegal. If anything happens and the insurance company find out he was the main driver it could even void the insurance.
Putting it in his name then adding you as a named driver can work out cheaper than not adding you as a named driver, but it’s still gonna cost.
Don't think he is suggesting fronting, just adding him onto his own insurance for his (williamalexs) car. Which sounds like it would cost more and not really benefit him.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've not read any of the replies to this thread and am probably going to repeat what has already been said.
It's cheaper to insure a learner driver than a driver who has recently so passed his test .
Also should you pass your test whilst obviously insured as a learner you must tell your insurer that your licence is now a full one ,as such you will probably be asked to stump up more money .
The reasons the insurance companies give is that a learner has a responsible person beside them and a newly passed driver will be solo ,and will have nobody to tell them they are an idiot in charge of a two ton guided missile.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
With our 18 year old daughter:

As a provisional driver, it cost a few hundred pounds to add her to insurance policy on a new Polo for driving practice.

We want her to get experience of driving locally and building up confidence and insurance, rather than passing test at 18, likely not driving until she starts work at 21, then needing virtually to learn all over again. We recognise we are priviledged to be able to give her that opportunity. So, when she passed the test:

1. We got a 10 year old small, low powered and low spec'd Aygo
2. Insurance is in her name so that she can accumulate no claims and answer the question "have you had car insurance in your name before" (as the answer is no if you have onky ever been named on someone else's policy)

If you stop there it is very expensive.

3. We added my wife, and me as extra drivers on her policy (policy is still in my daughter's name as the main driver, which she is), and that reduced the premium significantly from very expensive to expensive. That was without a black box.

Look at Martin Lewis's website about how to minimise car insurance costs. It requires a bit of time and effort, but is well worth it. Insurance premiums have risen a lot lately for everyone. You can get as many quotes as you like before buying a car (we did this to check costs when looking at what car to buy), and then, if you decide to buy a car, you take the quote up (check the validity time of the quotes) to start on the day you collect the car.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quite a few years ago now but eldest had her own car and own insurance when she was a learner. Her insurance came down when she passed.

However, when it came up for renewal she couldn't use any online comparison sites for quotes as they wouldn't accept she had a years no claims.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quite a few years ago now but eldest had her own car and own insurance when she was a learner. Her insurance came down when she passed.

However, when it came up for renewal she couldn't use any online comparison sites for quotes as they wouldn't accept she had a years no claims.
Just shows how things have changed I took out a policy when I was 17 but did not pass my driving test until I was 26 by then I had full no claims no, company queried it.

I had scrapped the car but kept the policy going so I could still drive any car, something which most policies will now only do when you are 25 or older.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Update, he's going to call Marmalade young drivers insurance broker, to find his his best options
Maybe adding both his grandparents as named drivers, a black box, a dash cam etc will help a little.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
The thing I like about a black box is it makes them drive properly. The box will measure accelration, breaking and speed. I had a client who's son lost his insurance within 2 weeks of passing his test due to a really bad black box reading or 10.

My 17 year old son is learning at the moment and no matter how nice and cool and respectful he is, in a car with a few mates he will turn in to a lunatic or some semblance of one. The black box will focus his mind on driving correctly as his hormones encourage him to be an idiot.

How I got through my early years driving an RD350 I don't know, but there certainly was a lot less traffic and congestion than there is now and I did lose my license at 18 for driving at 94mph in a 30mph, nowdays that would be a year ban and a retake at a minimum not a 1 month ban and a £120 fine.

Springveldt

Visit site
We added my 17 year old daughter onto my wife's car and it took her premium from something like £260 a year to £500. We were told that when our daughter passes her test then the premium will go up by quite a bit more.

I know my niece's (had just turned 18) insurance was £2200 for the year on a small Citroen C1 when she passed her test 4 months ago.

Daughter is sitting her test next month, not looking forward to paying for her insurance.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember being quoted £3000 to add daughter onto our insurance for the Mazda 323 when she was a learner many years ago.

Didn't take them up on it!