Car insurance?

Arleneg

Visit site
Yeah, I had a similar situation with my policy. As long as your insurance covers driving other people's cars, you should be okay. Just make sure to give your insurer a quick call to confirm that driving a van is included and that everything’s good to go.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the UK is like the US on this issue, cars, not drivers, are insured.
There is a premium added if a car is regularly driven by somebody under twenty-five years of age.

This doesn't pertain to any law.
It's simply insurance company practice in our admittedly underregulated private sector.
Law simply requires insurance for any aggrieved party, of course, and optionally for your own person and property.

My cars and house are insured in tandem by the same company for a decent discount.
Named driver/s are the insured persons in the UK, not the car as an entity.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Named driver/s are the insured persons in the UK, not the car as an entity.
Ah! It's completely different then.

A Peel P50 and a stretch Rolls limo, then, would make no difference in the insurance rate if it's the driver insured,
even though the Rolls would cost so much more to repair or replace.

Hard to understand how that's possible.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
@Ye Olde Boomer .
How expensive is ensuring a car these days in the US?
When staying in Hi in the late 90s it was very expensive compared with the UK. It cost about $600 for 6 months for our little Hyundai Accent.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah! It's completely different then.

A Peel P50 and a stretch Rolls limo, then, would make no difference in the insurance rate if it's the driver insured,
even though the Rolls would cost so much more to repair or replace.

Hard to understand how that's possible.
No, the driver is the insured party to drive a particular car. Yes, there would be insurance on a car, but rarely is the policy an any driver policy but normally a named driver/s only.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the UK is like the US on this issue, cars, not drivers, are insured.
There is a premium added if a car is regularly driven by somebody under twenty-five years of age.

This doesn't pertain to any law.
It's simply insurance company practice in our admittedly underregulated private sector.
Law simply requires insurance for any aggrieved party, of course, and optionally for your own person and property.

My cars and house are insured in tandem by the same company for a decent discount.

In the UK car insurance prices for the young are horrendous and it is the same for the elderly but not quite as bad.

We too have a minimum requirement for 3rd party liability for car insurance but we do not need the high levels of cover that is needed in the US because courts will generally give lower compensation for any claim made for personal injury.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Update my grandson has bought a 2005 Fiesta 1250 cc, for £900, with a 9 months MOT .
He hopes to pass his driving test next week.
Any guesses what his insurance will cost, as me , my wife as named driver
( both clean licences), and installing a black box,

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Update my grandson has bought a 2005 Fiesta 1250 cc, for £900, with a 9 months MOT .
£4500

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
The Boy was charged about 1400 for a fairly hot DS3 a couple of years ago...

My lad was in a similar ballpark. He had a black box fitted, and his insurance company have been top drawer. He gets a monthly report and, because he’s a careful lad behind the wheel, he often receives a rebate on his premiums.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d hope nothing like that. My lad passed a couple of years ago and, whilst I can’t recall what he was paying on a 2010 Corsa with me as a named driver, it was nowhere near that much.

Thought i was being generous with that!

My company took the Mick when I put the niro on.. after selling me the policy they tried to cancel it as my car didn't exist (that make and model in the UK apparently) they could find the 2020 version or the 22 version but 2 specs below not the 3 or 4 spec and one rude guy on the phone basically said "tough" and after 2 hours with a very helpful lady she got the underwriters to agree that it exists.

Think it was when I found a used one and asked her to run the plate (mine was brand new so plate hadn't tagged yet) she goes oh that doesn't exist either and I was like yeah see what I mean thats an actual car how can your system claim it doesn't exist

I find the whole system very much how much they can charge

Admiral once said £700 for renewal I said sorry I have got a quote for £500 so I'm going to go.. they said we can do you £600 as loyalty bonus.. erm that's still not £500 is it.

Legalised theft most the time. Made up numbers .. I mean no offence to those who work in insurance I mean the computers that work out risk have some backwards formula that just favours what the hell they fancy that week.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My lad was in a similar ballpark. He had a black box fitted, and his insurance company have been top drawer. He gets a monthly report and, because he’s a careful lad behind the wheel, he often receives a rebate on his premiums.
They told hime to send the black box back after 6 months.......he was taught well you see... ;)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It will be two different prices before and after he passes his test, after will be significantly more expensive, probably at least as much as he paid for the car depending on where you live.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
@Ye Olde Boomer .
How expensive is ensuring a car these days in the US?
When staying in Hi in the late 90s it was very expensive compared with the UK. It cost about $600 for 6 months for our little Hyundai Accent.
The US is very much like similar economically placed nations--the UK, the EU, Japan, So. Korea, et al--in that EVERYTHING is expensive.
It's much cheaper for seniors though.
It's horrifically expensive for very young drivers as it is there,
but the rates don't go back upward for seniors as one of the posts suggested yours do.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
£2,500 ish

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
It will be two different prices before and after he passes his test, after will be significantly more expensive, probably at least as much as he paid for the car depending on where you live.
He just asked for a quote. but said on his application he had recently passed his test.
He was quoted around £1500
without a black box and without my name as a named driver.