Tow hang, I had no idea until I looked at it today

I have a superb putter for last 7 years, I'll not change
Any deficiency is down to me
My putter has won on tour & won majors. It's plenty good enough
All by itself? How impressive!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I have had to look into the meaning of toe hang.

I bought this putter in 1976 for £5 second hand and used it until 1989.
Petron Impala U1. Still got it.

Petron Impala U1.jpg

Then in 1989 I paid £25 for this putter brand new. Still using it.
Ben Sayers Opel Line One.
I'm still not sure if this qualifies as toe hang.

BS OL 1.jpg

I own several putters, but they are all older than the Opel Line 1 apart from a Ben Sayers Opel Line 3. ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have had to look into the meaning of toe hang.

I bought this putter in 1976 for £5 second hand and used it until 1989.
Petron Impala U1. Still got it.

View attachment 51911

Then in 1989 I paid £25 for this putter brand new. Still using it.
Ben Sayers Opel Line One.
I'm still not sure if this qualifies as toe hang.

View attachment 51912

I own several putters, but they are all older than the Opel Line 1 apart from a Ben Sayers Opel Line 3. ;)
If you balance the putter shaft on your finger with the face pointing up, then let gravity show you how much toe-hang there is. You let it hang and the face is pointing straight at the sky, it's face-balanced. If the toe drops lower than the heel it's toe-hang.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you balance the putter shaft on your finger with the face pointing up, then let gravity show you how much toe-hang there is. You let it hang and the face is pointing straight at the sky, it's face-balanced. If the toe drops lower than the heel it's toe-hang.

I've spent a lot of the day on the putting mat with a face balanced and a toe hang

Could bearly seperate them. No one style seems to suit more than the other.

However I did find my miss was left on a dead straight putt. So I guess toe hanging should help fight that

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My mate has about 15 or more putters now, he grabs them all off ebay but it's quite the collection. One he liked for a while was the Seemore Giant - absolutely massive thing. But that's gone back in the cupboard now. Latest thing he turned up with was an Odyssey Backstryke. Absolutely hideous-looking thing, and God knows whether it's face-balanced or what. That would put me off holing putts just from looking at it. When you glance at him hitting a putt with it, you do a double take as it looks like he's holding it backwards or sideways for a second.
Golf Gods got me with a bit of karma for this - I played a match with him Saturday morning and he putted like prime Tiger with that Backstryke. Holing 15-footers all over the place. Gave me faith that the magic dart is out there, somewhere, I just need to find it. :LOL:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I spent a bit of time with the Scotty and the 2 ball to see if toe hang or face balance suited me

On short to medium putts they were pretty similar , it was the lag putting that the Scotty was better at

Felt I had to hit the 2 ball harder and it would fly past but the Scotty was a smoother stroke and would finish nearer .. if I tried same with 2 ball would be short

Going to give a few rounds but I finished more confident with the Scotty which is toe hang .. and as putting is a confidence game I'm gonna try it.

Springveldt

Visit site
I remember that, don't you need an adaptor to grip it to your putter?
Sellotape does the job just fine...

Used it before I bought my Ping Anser 2a few years ago, the app recommend a slight toe hang putter. Also said I had the putting stroke of a scratch golfer.

On second thoughts, maybe the sellotape didn't work fine as I've now switched to a face balanced mallet and I'm putting much better and I putt like a 20 handicapper. :LOL:

RichA

Visit site
The style and size of grip seems to have a greater effect on my putting than the design of the head.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The style and size of grip seems to have a greater effect on my putting than the design of the head.
This is the down-side of buying putters second-hand, they arrive with all manner of useless grips on them. The last one I bought had an old-school skinny style grip, so I spent another £30 getting a Superstroke 2.0 put on - only to now have the thing up on Ebay for sale. :LOL:

I've just tried my new O-Works #7 on the practise green at lunchtime - this one has a thicker, rounder grip. I think it's too thick for me, and I prefer a flat part on the front instead of it being rounded. Not to mention the fact it's heavily worn (even though the putter head looks good as new, oddly.) But I'm going to have to force myself to try it for a few weeks before throwing money at another replacement grip. 🤦‍♂️

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
This is the down-side of buying putters second-hand, they arrive with all manner of useless grips on them. The last one I bought had an old-school skinny style grip, so I spent another £30 getting a Superstroke 2.0 put on - only to now have the thing up on Ebay for sale. :LOL:

I've just tried my new O-Works #7 on the practise green at lunchtime - this one has a thicker, rounder grip. I think it's too thick for me, and I prefer a flat part on the front instead of it being rounded. Not to mention the fact it's heavily worn (even though the putter head looks good as new, oddly.) But I'm going to have to force myself to try it for a few weeks before throwing money at another replacement grip. 🤦‍♂️

Piggybacking on this post I’ve always found it very amusing that people fiddle about with putters in the winter. It’s out of season for the vast majority of the U.K., and the greens are invariably awful.

By all means buy putters in winter, if that’s what people want to do, and fiddle about with thin/fat grips but do people really believe that a putter that suits a green in winter will be spot on in summer.

Bit of advice; change your irons/woods anytime of the year, the ball spends the majority of the time in the air. Change the putter when the greens are at least half decent.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Piggybacking on this post I’ve always found it very amusing that people fiddle about with putters in the winter. It’s out of season for the vast majority of the U.K., and the greens are invariably awful.

By all means buy putters in winter, if that’s what people want to do, and fiddle about with thin/fat grips but do people really believe that a putter that suits a green in winter will be spot on in summer.

Bit of advice; change your irons/woods anytime of the year, the ball spends the majority of the time in the air. Change the putter when the greens are at least half decent.
I think this time of year is just ripe for changing anything and everything, as we think we can do that while the course is a pile of poo and 'bed in' the changes before the spring season starts. And it's partially out of boredom probably. But I don't still want to be experimenting and changing equipment when the course is actually playable, I'd rather be settled I think. I get what you're saying though, it's hard to judge properly.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think this time of year is just ripe for changing anything and everything, as we think we can do that while the course is a pile of poo and 'bed in' the changes before the spring season starts. And it's partially out of boredom probably. But I don't still want to be experimenting and changing equipment when the course is actually playable, I'd rather be settled I think. I get what you're saying though, it's hard to judge properly.

There’s some sense in what you say but I’d rather put my faith in 55yrs of golf, which from the early 70’s was played off 5 or below.