Telematics car insurance?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Insurance is due next month, so got a few quotes via Go Compare.

The cheapest policy (by £50) is with Hastings. I clicked through to buy it, and it says it is a telematics policy. It seems they send me a key fob which I pair with my phone, and it then tells them if I am speeding or using the phone while driving.

Is it normal to have this sort of policy for a 62 year old driver? I've got 3 points on my licence so it's not like I'd be seen a high risk.

Also, does this mean they can bump up my premium during the year if they don't like the way I drive?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Insurance is due next month, so got a few quotes via Go Compare.

The cheapest policy (by £50) is with Hastings. I clicked through to buy it, and it says it is a telematics policy. It seems they send me a key fob which I pair with my phone, and it then tells them if I am speeding or using the phone while driving.

Is it normal to have this sort of policy for a 62 year old driver? I've got 3 points on my licence so it's not like I'd be seen a high risk.

Also, does this mean they can bump up my premium during the year if they don't like the way I drive?

Don't do it.

I can get like £100 cheaper or so with telematics but no thanks

They will adjust your policy with how you drive

Yes nobody is perfect so minor things could happen and then you get punished for it

Just like my house insurance I can get money off for having an alarm but I don't declare it as they won't pay out if I don't set it .. it suits them

I'd rather pay the more

Telematics should be for first time drivers or ex banned to prove they have learned

Not for people like yourself

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, that's what I thought, found it bizarre they were offering it to me. Maybe the shape of things to come?

It's to tempt people in on the price..sooner they get you on it they can offer "savings" but realistically they can claim any increases due to minor issues they would never normally know about and rinse you accordingly

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, that's what I thought, found it bizarre they were offering it to me. Maybe the shape of things to come?
Its only offered because you did a comparison site. looking for the cheapest and that is a valid cheaper policy.
Personally I wouldnt take it, but it is a valid way to keep insurance costs down.
One of my brothers has 2 daughters who both used that type of policy. It was a good way to help keep their policy charges down. It wasn't as alarmist as has previously been commented on, and served them well.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its only offered because you did a comparison site. looking for the cheapest and that is a valid cheaper policy.
Personally I wouldnt take it, but it is a valid way to keep insurance costs down.
One of my brothers has 2 daughters who both used that type of policy. It was a good way to help keep their policy charges down. It wasn't as alarmist as has previously been commented on, and served them well.

That's because they increase young drivers costs so high they have to have those policies for a few years to build up no claims.

They have a purpose but shouldn't be the norm.

Of course they will be cheaper as they can charge you according to how they deem your driving rather than when they just get a report of no accidents for another year.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's because they increase young drivers costs so high they have to have those policies for a few years to build up no claims.

They have a purpose but shouldn't be the norm.

Of course they will be cheaper as they can charge you according to how they deem your driving rather than when they just get a report of no accidents for another year.
No, sadly you are incorrect.
Young drivers preniums are higher due to a perceived (correctly) greater risk.
The policies my brothers daughters had/have gave/gives them a monthly refund if they drove/drive correctly and within the law, which they track as you have to actiivate the app on your phone as soon as you start the engine because the telematics tell the car has started.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, sadly you are incorrect.
Young drivers preniums are higher due to a perceived (correctly) greater risk.
The policies my brothers daughters had/have gave/gives them a monthly refund if they drove/drive correctly and within the law, which they track as you have to actiivate the app on your phone as soon as you start the engine because the telematics tell the car has started.
Yes I am aware how it works...

However they also can increase your premium for bad driving habits

So whilst they work for some it's really not worth taking a £50 discount if you could have a near miss you avoided and still get charged for it.

Of course your reply will be "drive perfect" but life isn't perfect and accidents happen or sometimes narrowly dont.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I am aware how it works...

However they also can increase your premium for bad driving habits

So whilst they work for some it's really not worth taking a £50 discount if you could have a near miss you avoided and still get charged for it.

Of course your reply will be "drive perfect" but life isn't perfect and accidents happen or sometimes narrowly dont.
That's the whole point of having them. A reward for good behaivour, and punishment if you don't.
Isn't that what is normal in life, or how it should br?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's the whole point of having them. A reward for good behaivour, and punishment if you don't.
Isn't that what is normal in life, or how it should br?

How normally do they know about bad behaviour?

A speeding fine or an accident claim

Where as they can tell if you accidently drove at 40 in a 30 for say 1 mile then noticed and slowed down

Yes they rewarded impeccable driving but life isn't perfect.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
My biggest issue with these is that if it tracks phone usage then I'd get hammered as I often give my phone to my 2 year old to watch netflix etc on longer journeys or gets given to my missus or someone else to act as DJ.