Current state of play....

Andy_Sorby

Visit site
To all golfers playing our great game,

I read with interest every month all of the letters that are printed in the golf magazines and they pretty much follow a familiar theme; too expensive, slow play and falling membership numbers.

It is being reported in the news that more and more golf clubs are closing due to falling membership numbers. It is important for golf clubs to maximise revenue and remain financially sustainable. However, with golf membership at clubs falling by an average of negative eight each year, then this is becoming increasingly difficult to achieve.

Currently there are approximately 750k members in England with 2.5m ‘Pay & Play’ (P&P) golfers. Therefore, it is easy to do the math that we need to turn more P&P golfers into members but the difficulty is that more people want to become P&P golfers so that they can play a variety of golf courses. This makes commitment to playing golf regularly difficult because they have not made a financial outlay to motivate them to make sure they get value for money. However, being a P&P golfer is becoming increasingly and unnecessarily expensive as they are subsidising the loss of members from golf clubs. It can easily cost upwards of £100 to play four rounds of golf every month on average golf courses at a peak time. This financial outlay could be more expensive than a golf membership that would allow you to play as often as you like.

So why are golfers turning away from playing golf on a regular basis? I think it is important to put this into a social context;

• We live in a world of competing demands with hundreds of TV channels and we are able to watch them when we want and not when TV networks show them. Who sits down to watch F1 at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon anymore? We all Sky+ (other devices are available!) and watch it in the evening when relaxing or the kids have gone to bed.
  • The 30+ years of age golfer is the first generation of golfer faced with large mortgage repayments, due to the property boom of the 2000’s. This causes a considerable squeeze on household income and an additional £850 (average golf membership cost) may be the first thing to be slashed from the household budget.
  • This first generation of the modern family promotes more family time spent together at weekends. In the past, male golfers would be allowed the flexibility to spend time away from the family because they had been working all week.
  • A bigger pull on free time from a large number of newly accessible sports, such as year round indoor skiing.
  • People are choosing to have children later in life, which means that historically, when people started to have more disposable income during mid-thirties, they are now faced with large mortgages and family commitments, such as nursery fees.
  • We live in a world of vouchers so people do not expect to pay full price anymore and will always seek a bargain. Looking for a deal does not promote brand loyalty.

I work for a Sports Governing Body and know all too well how crucial participation figures are to England Golf. Reduced participation figures will ultimately lead to reduced funding from Sport England in the next funding cycle (2017 – 2021), which will impact upon grassroots amateur golf. From what I understand, England Golf have chosen two key strategies to address the falling participation figures; juniors and families. It is easy for an outsider to criticise but I believe that these two strategies are flawed.

• Families; I can see why England Golf have chosen this as a strategy as golf is likely to appeal to families and will deliver large returns for participation quickly. It is a strategy that has been very successful for British Cycling and delivered huge participation returns. Golf is a difficult sport to master and enjoy. It is unlikely that the average family of four would all like golf and continue. It would only take one family member not to enjoy it and the rest of the family would fall away as well. How many golfers have ever seen a family on the golf course? I can’t think of seeing it too many times. In addition, there is a cost factor. To kit four people out with clubs, bags, clothing, footwear, golf balls etc and then green fees is a very large expense that would be out of reach for most families.
  • Juniors; firstly, there are too many other interests to distract kids from a game that essentially can take four or five hours to complete. Particularly, if your friends are not playing it as well. Whilst it is cheap for a junior golfer to become a member of a golf club, it relies on an adult to take them and keep them engaged. A key age for when people leave golf is 18 because other interests begin, such as education, time and money. If England Golf continue to concentrate on juniors, then we are only storing up the problem for a future generation as we would continue to lose golfers at 18+.

The average age of a golfer member is 65+ and this is for obvious reasons because they have more time and increased disposable income. At what point do we concentrate on golfers from the age of 25 to 65? At present, it is too easy for them to drift to other sports and interests. We should be nurturing this key age group of golfers to become the members of the future when they have more time, disposable income and have finished being a nomadic P&P golfer.

Anyone else agree?

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
And finishes the post with a link to an ad... now there's a shock!

Surely not. Who'd have thought that would happen. Long winded waffle to get you click on the link. If the OP had done some decent homework on here, he'll have seen it's been discussed regularly and been able to gander some salient and thought out replies from golfers of all ages and abilities. Shame

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All decent good clubs seem to be doing okay as far as I can see.

Just seems England Golf are suffering as they have no actual business model apart from fleece people who decide to join golf clubs..........

D

Deleted member 15344

Think the OP does make a lot of good points but think there is something missing

Early 2000's before the financial crisis golf was booming - lots of member courses had waiting lists and people struggled to get a game .

People saw this and built sub standard golf courses around the country and this became the home of many golfers who were on waiting lists

Then the crisis hit and the new golfers mainly stopped playing and people picked which courses to play and the better standard courses stayed happy whilst the poorer ones sufered.

I dont believe there is a poblem in golf right now - i think the numbers playing have returned to the level it was.

Next year the EGU are bringing in the extension of maximum HC - they believe this will attract more people to golf - i believe that to be wrong and i think it will have a negative effect on the game

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some points are thought out pretty well, but the stats appear to be cherry picked to make the points you want (where are these stats from? Statements like the one about nobody watching live f1 are far too generic, probably true for golfers, but not for the vast majority.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17920

All decent good clubs seem to be doing okay as far as I can see.

Just seems England Golf are suffering as they have no actual business model apart from fleece people who decide to join golf clubs..........
How exactly do England golf fleece you. It's £6.50 per golfer and do you know whaf happens with that affiliation fee?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Think the OP does make a lot of good points but think there is something missing

Early 2000's before the financial crisis golf was booming - lots of member courses had waiting lists and people struggled to get a game .

People saw this and built sub standard golf courses around the country and this became the home of many golfers who were on waiting lists

Then the crisis hit and the new golfers mainly stopped playing and people picked which courses to play and the better standard courses stayed happy whilst the poorer ones sufered.

I dont believe there is a poblem in golf right now - i think the numbers playing have returned to the level it was.

Next year the EGU are bringing in the extension of maximum HC - they believe this will attract more people to golf - i believe that to be wrong and i think it will have a negative effect on the game

I'd be interested to know what the truth is. For example, on the back of reading the OP I Googled "average age of golfers in the UK." Apparently the average age of golfers in the UK has risen from 41 in 2000 to 48 in 2009. However, the average age of the "avid" golfer has risen to 63. What is an avid golfer? Is it a club member? Is it a club member that plays every week? How many nomdic golfers are there?

How many courses have closed since 2008, and what is that the trend of closures? Has the number of closures slowed down?

How many clubs have waiting lists? How many clubs are within 10% of being full? How many set their budgets at 85% capacity, and how many have money in the bank?

Like many businesses in the UK, if they've got this far through the crash, they're probably working to a robust financial model.

D

Deleted Member 1156

How exactly do England golf fleece you. It's £6.50 per golfer and do you know whaf happens with that affiliation fee?

Yep......you drink it down the pub on Friday evenings :D

I did find that comment a bit strange. It's peanuts and club golfers get a lot for the money with CDH administration and all the other things it pays for.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Some details that were released earlier this year are here ...

http://www.englandgolf.org/library-... Impact of Golf on the Economy of England.pdf

This report was generally used by many many websites etc as the basis for articles produced a few months ago.

Golfer numbers are detailed here
View attachment 15503

Some interesting stuff in there. One figure that I found a little odd. An average of £17.XX spent on golf balls per year. There's lots of players not losing golf balls. I go through that a month, either lost or into the practice bag.