Council Tax

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't know how many people are in the same boat as me but I pay my CT over 10 instalments which means the next 2 months are CT free.
Is anyone else already planning how to spend the extra money available?
Or maybe you pay yours over 12 months?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know how many people are in the same boat as me but I pay my CT over 10 instalments which means the next 2 months are CT free.
Is anyone else already planning how to spend the extra money available?
Or maybe you pay yours over 12 months?

In the same boat bob
Love this time of year

However my insurance is always due in January (pay in a lump car and house) so normally goes to that
Just switched energy aswell so had 2 payments close together

DCB

Visit site
Our Garden refuse collection will not be covered by council tax this coming year, so, to get an uplift is costing an extra £35 for the year. So that's part of month 11 gone already 😠

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Our Garden refuse collection will not be covered by council tax this coming year, so, to get an uplift is costing an extra £35 for the year. So that's part of month 11 gone already 😠
we have had that for a couple of years now,,, £35 per year, only problem is they stop in November and start again in march ... cheeky buggers

Pin-seeker

Visit site
You lot must be paying a lot for your council tax.
I could hardly go on a shopping spree with 2month off.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
we have had that for a couple of years now,,, £35 per year, only problem is they stop in November and start again in march ... cheeky buggers

Same here.
To make things worse, since last year, they now switch off the street lights between 00.00 and 06.00 to save money.
It didn't stop them raising the CT by the maximum allowed and will no doubt do the same again this year.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just paid ours....... €121 for the year. But we have to pay separately for our bins.... €4/month.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Same here.
To make things worse, since last year, they now switch off the street lights between 00.00 and 06.00 to save money.
It didn't stop them raising the CT by the maximum allowed and will no doubt do the same again this year.
i had an issue with the garden refuse collection. i have a load of apple trees and used to make Cider with them, but havn't bothered the last couple of years. We get a lead of Redwings descend on the garden mid oct and they eat all the sweet apples withing a week more or less, but they don't like the cookers, unfortunately i have at least 10 trees with cookers on and so have put them in the garden bin only to get a stick on the bin saying it was food waste and it should go in my food waste bin , which is the size of a small bucket and would take about 6 months or more to dispose of them in this way. have written to them and at each turn it was passed to their superior until i was at the top of the chain, whole still hasn't replied, but the collections stopped 2 months ago, so still have piles of rotten apples up the back of the garden.

Wolf

Visit site
Is it really bad to say I don't even know how much our council tax is and is we pay over 10 or 12 months :eek:

The Mrs set up the DD for it from our joint bills account we each have a SO from our own accounts that goes into bills account each month and everything is paid, I don't even check it just know it ticks over and we have nothing outstanding.

The only thing I am still getting used to is no gas, we have to purchase oil every few months to fill a tank that heats the house as we're in a non gas area and I don't even know how that works or what it costs.. On a brighter note I do know how much my golf costs me so I know priorities are in the right place.

D

Deleted member 18121

Same as..... £192 per month to blow on something else! whoop.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
we are the same as you Bob, on the same day as the direct debit we are just transferring it in to our Holiday Savings Account, we are used to living without it each month so won't miss it.
I am sure it is just over £200 a month for each of the 10 months

U

User62651

We get the 10 months of payments via DD like OP. 2 months off is handy and help with whatever utility bill comes next, I dont see it as any kind of bonus to be spent. Council tax is high imo, the ratings are based on 1991 property prices, I'm in an very modest attic-converted originally 2 bed house and they have me in band F.
Going off track sligthly we've never had garden rubbish collection, we've never had glass collection either. We get landfill once per 3 weeks and recycle bin (paper and plastics and tins) ever 2 weeks. Isn't enough on the landfill collection, I've a pickup so can DIY the rubbish to local recycling centre myself but should I be expected to do that for general rubbish when I pay council tax? I have a woodburner that I get can rid of paper in but I hear in the news Gove wants to ban them too.:eek:
Only thing I could do to help that I dont is compost food waste but not being a veggie gardener that amount of compost wouldn't be of much use.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Nice set of new wedges thanks to the ten month payment that the Mrs. doesn't need to know about.

The upcoming release of the PM Grinds are looking rather tasty I must say

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
we are the same as you Bob, on the same day as the direct debit we are just transferring it in to our Holiday Savings Account, we are used to living without it each month so won't miss it.
I am sure it is just over £200 a month for each of the 10 months

Not many Scots know that in England they have their water rates bills on top of the community charge. It is all inclusive in Scotland

We are 10 months and the dates are quite acceptable as we have double car insurance from beginning of Feb.
We have a separate slush fund which easily covers the normal household bills other than food.
Handy to dip into when there is an emergency.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not many Scots know that in England they have their water rates bills on top of the community charge. It is all inclusive in Scotland

We are 10 months and the dates are quite acceptable as we have double car insurance from beginning of Feb.
We have a separate slush fund which easily covers the normal household bills other than food.
Handy to dip into when there is an emergency.

Really it’s inclusive in Scotland? What a brilliant idea I like that

Hate being on a metre it’s bloody annoying.. whoever decided to put our house on it was a sod