Sky's the limit

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
First of all I have to say I like Sky's coverage of golf. I have a Sky Sports subscription and watch a lot of their golf coverage. I like their team, commentators, analysts and presenters, and all in all I think they do a great job given their business model (i.e. commercial broadcaster reliant on advertising revenue)

However, I am sick as a parrot (Brian) that they have bagged the exclusive rights to The Open and for me this will ruin my favourite sporting occasion in the year. There is nothing better than pulling up the drawbridge on Open Sunday and watching six hours of interrupted live coverage, and now because of the R&A's greed (in my opinion), we won't have this unrivalled opportunity any longer. Instead we will be tortured with bl**dy adverts butting in every 10 minutes and ruining continuity and atmosphere, despite the Sky team's undoubted efforts to make the experience something close to watchable. And I'm not happy about this.

Coupled with their ludicrous overbid for Premiership Football I can see the subscription charges rocketing through the roof. When this does happen, as it inevitably will in the not too distant future (despite what the say about not passing costs on to the punters...yet) it will be time for me to drop my subscription.

I love my televised golf but I won't pay through the nose to subsidise football and other expensive exclusive broadcasting rights. In my view Sky should not have been awarded The Open. A bit naïve perhaps in a world that is driven by greed and corporate money-making, but spare a though for those who love The Open, who've watched it year in and year out and who will no longer be able to do so because the can't afford Sky.

It's a shame and a bad show R&A!!

Last edited:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
do we really need yet another thread on this?

Ah, I'm new round here (as of last weekend) and did a search but came up with nowt. Perhaps if this has already been beaten to death then this thread can be deleted / locked. Had a look but can't seem to see any way to remove it myself.

Last edited:
G

guest100718

There are limits on how often you can show an advert on UK tv. And I think the R&A have also had something written in to the contract. But like you i'll miss watching the uninterrupted stuff.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site