The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Because the only way I can understand the only results matter mentality, is if you've never been involved. I imagine you are the same?

When you go every week and plan weekends up and down the country, something changes. It's not about results. You see multiple generations doing as they have for years and you want that to continue. You want owners that respect that. The best season I ever had as a fan was our last championship season.

Why was it your best season ? Was it because the team was winning ?

If it’s not about results what is it ?

What exactly should the owners respect - don’t you want your team to do the best it can on the pitch. It’s a sport - it’s a results based business.

And if it’s down to being “entertained” - there is no better entertainment than winning

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because the only way I can understand the only results matter mentality, is if you've never been involved. I imagine you are the same?

When you go every week and plan weekends up and down the country, something changes. It's not about results. You see multiple generations doing as they have for years and you want that to continue. You want owners that respect that. The best season I ever had as a fan was our last championship season.
Are you suggesting that you acutally want to be entertained :eek:o_O

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you suggesting that you acutally want to be entertained :eek:o_O
That’s part of the problem for me.
A lot of PL teams set up to not lose and stay in the cash cow that is the PL.
Relegation is a disaster financially for clubs.
But it’s no coincidence that the best football is played by the champions .
Lots of fans are happy to win even if they play crap.
But playing well and winning is something else.

Wouldn’t say I have been entertained by some of the games I have seen this season on the TV.
But others have been fantastic to watch.
It’s been very inconsistent from all the teams even City early on!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don't think it's relevant. Whether you're at the game or watching it on TV, you want to be entertained AND win. But if you can't have both I'd rather be winning. At the end of the day, the team could be playing lovely football but if they're losing more than they win, then the manager is getting sacked, so it's not sustainable is it? A new manager is going to come in and everything changes again. Only winning gives you sustainability and consistency.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
sorry but results are all that matters

Proper Glory Hunter Armchair supporter comment that.....If you can’t see that there is so much more to supporting a football club than results then you will never understand what motivates people to support the other 83 teams that make up the pyramid.

D

Deleted member 16999

Spot on, this is bloke who tried to tell us we should of been happy with Fat Sam.?‍♂️

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Why was it your best season ? Was it because the team was winning ?

If it’s not about results what is it ?

What exactly should the owners respect - don’t you want your team to do the best it can on the pitch. It’s a sport - it’s a results based business.

Because I got to go to grounds I've never been to before, I got to travel to a whole set of new places with a huge group of mates I met only through love of West Ham.

Respect the fans. Look at Cities owners.

- World class training facilities, helping set up for the future longevity of the club.
- World class stadium, with infrastructure to help fans.
- No need to be in the papers, just quietly go along with their business.

As regards to winning being the only way to be entertained. I went to Wales in 06 against your lot, we lost on pens. It was the most enjoyable match I've ever seen live. A win would have been incredible, but we still had a great weekend regardless. I booed when we beat hull 2-1 with a penalty that shouldn't have been given and an own goal.

D

Deleted member 15344

Proper Glory Hunter Armchair supporter comment that.....If you can’t see that there is so much more to supporting a football club than results then you will never understand what motivates people to support the other 83 teams that make up the pyramid.

Where did I say that results is the only reason to support a club ?‍♂️

Some are reading far too much into one comment

D

Deleted member 15344

Because I got to go to grounds I've never been to before, I got to travel to a whole set of new places with a huge group of mates I met only through love of West Ham.

Respect the fans. Look at Cities owners.

- World class training facilities, helping set up for the future longevity of the club.
- World class stadium, with infrastructure to help fans.
- No need to be in the papers, just quietly go along with their business.

As regards to winning being the only way to be entertained. I went to Wales in 06 against your lot, we lost on pens. It was the most enjoyable match I've ever seen live. A win would have been incredible, but we still had a great weekend regardless. I booed when we beat hull 2-1 with a penalty that shouldn't have been given and an own goal.

What do you think has helped City owners provide that for their club - money

If the club doesn’t have that level of money how do they get it ? By performing better on the pitch and getting the results to bring the financial rewards

If you expect owners to act like owners who are able to use their interest payments to finance a club then you need owners with the same level of finance - so if they don’t have the finances to do that they aren’t “respecting the fans”

Where West Ham fans not complaining because the owners weren’t spending enough on players etc ?

Football is an ugly financial business and it became that way 30 plus years ago - we all want to see the best players we can get playing for us to get us the trophies and the wins

If you boo your team when they win - well I guess that’s where toxic atmospheres come about from - I have no doubt that if West Ham were playing lovely football but losing and got relegated you would be demanding the manager out etc.

Are you not delighted right now that West Ham will be looking to get into Europe for the first time in a number of years ? The rewards that will bring ?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
What do you think has helped City owners provide that for their club - money

If the club doesn’t have that level of money how do they get it ? By performing better on the pitch and getting the results to bring the financial rewards

If you expect owners to act like owners who are able to use their interest payments to finance a club then you need owners with the same level of finance - so if they don’t have the finances to do that they aren’t “respecting the fans”

Where West Ham fans not complaining because the owners weren’t spending enough on players etc ?

Football is an ugly financial business and it became that way 30 plus years ago - we all want to see the best players we can get playing for us to get us the trophies and the wins

If you boo your team when they win - well I guess that’s where toxic atmospheres come about from - I have no doubt that if West Ham were playing lovely football but losing and got relegated you would be demanding the manager out etc.

Are you not delighted right now that West Ham will be looking to get into Europe for the first time in a number of years ? The rewards that will bring ?

Honestly you had to be there to understand it. It was the worst most soul destroying football I’ve ever seen in my life and I’ve been going to West Ham for 45 years.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
so if they don’t have the finances to do that they aren’t “respecting the fans”

I have no doubt that if West Ham were playing lovely football but losing and got relegated you would be demanding the manager out etc.

- We are the 18th richest club in the world. Owners have lent money at 4-6% Interest rates, whilst making £XX million from the sale of the Boleyn. Obviously that's going to cause a problem for fans.

- We were, we've had another year of "record signings". However this season the net spend was 7 million, with an injury prone right back playing alone up front.

- Incorrect, we got 30 something points under Zola and stayed up barely, most were really wanting him to succeed.

- No I could care less, we've been in the Europa league before and lost to Romanias 2nd best team, because the owners valued premier league placing over everything else.

D

Deleted member 15344

Honestly you had to be there to understand it. It was the worst most soul destroying football I’ve ever seen in my life and I’ve been going to West Ham for 45 years.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26641431

How much was it also down to the run of results the club was having and the results in the season overall - lost 15 times at that stage , close to the relegation zone , a fear of dropping points again from a winning position ?

If the team were higher up at that stage playing the same defensive football would the reaction be the same - I remember the Graham 1-0 years at Arsenal as they won title and trophies with very defensive football - would Arsenal fans take their current style and enjoyment over that ?

Let’s be clear here - I’m not saying fans only support a team because of what they win or their results but from what I see 99.9% of the time fans get disgruntled and angry when their club isn’t doing well on the pitch or as well as they should be doing , yes fans will always want more and indeed the full package of wonderful flowing football along with winning , plus owners who care - but it’s fantasy world in modern football. City owners didn’t buy City because they care - they don’t pile money because they care imo - it’s all down the rewards whether that be status or financial rewards - I may have gone too cynical in regards football but imo it’s a consequence of the level of money in the sport now

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Speaking of styles of football, did anyone see Big Sam's rant last night?? I thought it was hilarious. Michail Antonio said something innocuous about how Sam's teams are difficult, knocking it forward to the big man etc, and he took real umbrage with it, started saying how his forwards were both 5'9 and how his reputation is unfair. :LOL: It was class.

Here it is.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Speaking of styles of football, did anyone see Big Sam's rant last night?? I thought it was hilarious. Michail Antonio said something innocuous about how Sam's teams are difficult, knocking it forward to the big man etc, and he took real umbrage with it, started saying how his forwards were both 5'9 and how his reputation is unfair. :LOL: It was class.

Here it is.

"I am a man that saves football clubs"

West Brom relegated, boiler man graces championship grounds around the land.

D

Deleted member 15344

- We are the 18th richest club in the world. Owners have lent money at 4-6% Interest rates, whilst making £XX million from the sale of the Boleyn. Obviously that's going to cause a problem for fans.

18th in terms of value - and it’s around £500mil - that’s what it would cost someone to buy the club , that doesn’t equate to bundles of money being able to be spent
- We were, we've had another year of "record signings". However this season the net spend was 7 million, with an injury prone right back playing alone up front.

And a lot of clubs are being financially tight right now due to the level of Covid losses -West Ham don’t have piles of money to be able to be spent on players , need to balance the books

- Incorrect, we got 30 something points under Zola and stayed up barely, most were really wanting him to succeed.

Of course you want him to succeed - because you want success and results, but in the end he was fired because of the results
- No I could care less, we've been in the Europa league before and lost to Romanias 2nd best team, because the owners valued premier league placing over everything else.

So you want the players to be signed , team to be built it yet but you don’t care about being Europe which will help you bring in the players ?‍♂️

Maybe I don’t understand or just don’t understand West Ham fans who seem confused at exactly what they want or what they want is not achievable ?‍♂️
or do you just want to be like Man City ?

Edit - happy to see it’s a good discussion without getting snidey ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
"I am a man that saves football clubs"

West Brom relegated, boiler man graces championship grounds around the land.
Yeah, I was honestly waiting for him to say something along the lines of "I keep clubs up but this time I wasn't good enough" but it never really came in so many words. Steadfastly unwilling to self-deprecate right to the end. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 15344

Here it is.

It was embarrassing- I’m amazed he isn’t staying to help West Brom get back into the Prem - but that would be too hard for him

For some reason he then started onto a rant about Liverpool as well ?‍♂️

Happy to see him disappear from football - how he ever became an international manager I’ll never know

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
18th in terms of value - and it’s around £500mil - that’s what it would cost someone to buy the club , that doesn’t equate to bundles of money being able to be spent

And a lot of clubs are being financially tight right now due to the level of Covid losses -West Ham don’t have piles of money to be able to be spent on players , need to balance the books

Of course you want him to succeed - because you want success and results, but in the end he was fired because of the results

So you want the players to be signed , team to be built it yet but you don’t care about being Europe which will help you bring in the players ?‍♂️

Maybe I don’t understand or just don’t understand West Ham fans who seem confused at exactly what they want or what they want is not achievable ?‍♂️
or do you just want to be like Man City ?

It's actually revenue, hence why it's annoying. We aren't worth 500 mil, we don't own a stadium and we have 2 sub par training grounds in poorer areas of London.

I'd love to be like man city, I know you are sceptical. But they don't need the money, it's a notch on their belt and a bragging tool. Everything they've touched has been for the long term benefit of the club and that old industrial area in Manchester.

I hope you do get lucky and manage to get season ticket, I guarantee your outlook on football will change.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was embarrassing- I’m amazed he isn’t staying to help West Brom get back into the Prem - but that would be too hard for him

For some reason he then started onto a rant about Liverpool as well ?‍♂️

Happy to see him disappear from football - how he ever became an international manager I’ll never know
Well he became known for getting the best out of some poor, overhyped players, so he was perfect for England really.