The Gins thread

Mandofred

Visit site
No.3 is on my top three list. Its very nice, subtle flavour and very smooth.

If she likes Tanqueray then, if she hasn’t tried it, their No.10 is very much like London No.3 in its subtleness.
Thanks, I'll check that one out. She likes her gin to have a bite to it.....if it is too smooth she doesn't like it as much.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Isn’t all Gin about marketing?

My wife runs a local Gin Festival so we have a lot of different bottles kicking about very few have been unpleasant.

Nibbs is one of the good ones she will buy, also localish to you if you are near the Silent Pool distillery.
Will have to look this up. havent come across it. But i am not a gin person unless forced to. One of the gastro-pubs around us has a 'Gin Club'. First you choose your glass shape!!!, then your botanical, then your vegetables, then your gin. IMO too much faff, but it brings the ladies in. Give me a pint or shot of wee dram..

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The woman I am seeing at the moment likes Aviation Gin and Tanqueray 10, any similar suggestions as I need to get some in as do not have gin stocks at home. Ideally one off the shelf, easy to get supermarket option and another perhaps a little more exclusive.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Will have to look this up. havent come across it. But i am not a gin person unless forced to. One of the gastro-pubs around us has a 'Gin Club'. First you choose your glass shape!!!, then your botanical, then your vegetables, then your gin. IMO too much faff, but it brings the ladies in. Give me a pint or shot of wee dram..
Not my drink of choice, but sometimes I need to clear the tonic out the fridge to make space for beer.

D-S

Visit site
My wife and distilled our own gin at a gin company in Bristol. Great experience and the botanicals we chose included cardamom with a mild citrus background. If I say so myself it’s not a bad tipple. Fascinating process and a really enjoyable afternoon where we taken through the process and the various flavourings you are allowed.
I am not a fan of the overly floral gins and Tanqueray is always where we come back to after buying different ones. Our local distillery is 6 O’Clock Gin and I would recommend their products particularly the Brunel, but it is a bit on the strong side.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The woman I am seeing at the moment likes Aviation Gin and Tanqueray 10, any similar suggestions as I need to get some in as do not have gin stocks at home. Ideally one off the shelf, easy to get supermarket option and another perhaps a little more exclusive.
What supermarket ?.
I'll.check what they stock

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sainsbury's Whiteley Neil directors cut down to £20 from £29:50 or the Roku at £23.

I've tried Aldi gins and wasn't that impressed especially when the big supermarkets has offers all the time.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
12 noon on Sundays has been gin time going back as long as I can remember. My dad would have a Gordon’s with Schweppes tonic - I’d be given a lemonade till I was old enough to have a G&T with him. Took me years to get the mix right.

A treat would be a Bombay Sapphire. Tried quite a few different gins and tonics but after 40 years I’m indoctrinated to Gordon’s or the Bombay. There’s the odd gin I’ve found palatable but the tonic has got to be Schweppes.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
12 noon on Sundays has been gin time going back as long as I can remember. My dad would have a Gordon’s with Schweppes tonic - I’d be given a lemonade till I was old enough to have a G&T with him. Took me years to get the mix right.

A treat would be a Bombay Sapphire. Tried quite a few different gins and tonics but after 40 years I’m indoctrinated to Gordon’s or the Bombay. There’s the odd gin I’ve found palatable but the tonic has got to be Schweppes.
Funnily enough one of the bartenders mixed me a G&T with Bombay Sapphire a couple of days ago....it was utterly awful and ever since then I've made a point of telling them not to use Bombay!!