The National Trust

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As part of Mr and Missis T's plans to grow old gracefully. We decided to join the National Trust, it just seemed to seamlessly fit in with what the old stinks a piss/ old farts / coffin Dodgers do. Drink gin, wear Skechers and eat ice cream. So as part of Mr and Missis T's retirement, today we went to Sudbury Hall I think it was called. Home of the National trust kids toys museum and a stately home. It's fair to say that we were not the only ones that A, stunka tiddle and B appreciated this green and pleasant lads proud heritage where the well off got rich at the expense of us poor folk ( nowt new there and for gods sake don't start another Brexit thread).
Anyway me and Missis T had a fantastic day there, even managed to pull in an English tea with a couple of scones ( pronounced scons).
I just love these places. The lives the rich and noble lived. They were something to behold, well for the men that was. I cannot remember exactly which earl it was. But Earl shagnasty the 6th rings a bell. He was married to Earless Shagnasty for 22 yrs and had 17 kids. No wonder they were rich, the child allowance must of been the best part of 7 and six a week, which for you young whippersnappers in today's money is about five grand a week. Looking at some of the bedrooms, who wouldn't be turned on by lying on your back looking at a fox with a decapitated pheasant in its mouth.
Suffice to say, where I live, the destruction of Clumber house and Rufford abbey in the 50's sticks in my throat. Seeing these grand old houses in ruins as against the National trust taking them over. Well it's a no brainer. I would sooner read stories of 6 yr old skinny kids spending 12 hours a day up a chimney and said scullery maid pregnant at 14. Than seeing a 500 yr old pile of rubble.
If your bored get yourself along to a national trust property, or better still, join. One bit of advice though, have a shower before you visit.
Back on the CA' DI Ponti, Nero D' AVOLA.
Love Tash.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
As it 'appens myself and Mrs Mega had a day out today at the Rothschild pile Waddesdon Manor... We passed on having some of the home brew, Chateau Laffite, with our lunch but had a thoroughly good day out checking on how the landed gentry live... Highly recommend...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As it 'appens myself and Mrs Mega had a day out today at the Rothschild pile Waddesdon Manor... We passed on having some of the home brew, Chateau Laffite, with our lunch but had a thoroughly good day out checking on how the landed gentry live... Highly recommend...

One of the few things we miss since we left Milton Keynes is Waddesdon! If you get the chance to go when they put on the lights extravaganza at Xmas well worth doing, especially if you couple it with when the xmas markets are on out the front.

The annual membership worth it just for the gardens some of these places have, especially now we have a dog again

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best thing I did when I left the forces was get me and hid life membership which in the 90's was £600, great deal at the time and enjoy visiting the properties and gardens. HID says that she will become a volunteer gardener when she retires at the local property.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I think we are members for 3 years now, maybe 4. We had a road trip planned in Devon/Cornwall/Somerset, and the membership is worth its fee in parking alone. Now with the little one we hardly ever go, but for Xmas there usually is something on, and also some of them have parkruns which we go to and stay on after.

Wolf

Visit site
I think the national Trust is awesome and not just for coffin dodgers, nappy wearing old folk and the Harris tweed brigade.

Mrs Wolf and I have been to some real nice places. One of my favourites is Knowle House situated within the Knowle Park, views are stunning the home is fascinating, you can wander through the golf course that's takes up part the land and see beautiful little deer roaming. Then back to the house for coffee and cake what's not to like. Hoping to go round a few uo this way soon as well.

Also one of my PT clients is now the chief Potter for the NT he makes and provides all the China they use and sell.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lots of good places to visit in Somerset and Wiltshire if you are a NT member and in the area. How the other half lived back in the day. Must have been a great life to be super rich in the olden days.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m almost 30 my wife is 23 we are members national trust but mainly Chatsworth Gold members as are a stones throw away we spend a lot of time there.

We are spoiled to be fair as we have some cracking NT locations near us in the Peak District.

We don’t stink of tiddle just yet but she’s a Horticulturist, I’m an Architect and we have two dogs. So we often go visit the gardens and grounds and appreciate the architecture rather than the internal decor as we get dragged around by the dogs that can’t go in.

We get our moneys worth from parking alone really and it gives us endless locations to walk the dogs.

If there’s any exhibitions on locally we will sometimes leave the dogs at home and have a snoop.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Funny enough I am planning to get HID membership of the NT and the RHS as part of her birthday present. As a one car family she tends to come on a lot of golf trips with my and is more than happy to go off and do her own thing looking at NT places or anything to do with gardening so think it makes sense to get her membership. I tend to take these places a little for granted but on the rare occasion we do go to a house together I am always fascinated by the history so maybe I am just in NT denial

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Used to have a bee in my bonnet about the NT because of their rules on photography. Cant for the life of my remember what bugged me about it but it seemed to matter at the time :unsure:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Used to have a bee in my bonnet about the NT because of their rules on photography. Cant for the life of my remember what bugged me about it but it seemed to matter at the time :unsure:

Tripods, inside, are a no no and flash photography is also banned inside... Not sure how they deal with the latter as most folk that use their device to take a piccie haven't a clue how to turn off the flash...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had it when our kids were young. There are some great places up here to walk in the gardens / grounds, all followed up by quality cake in the cafe afterwards. A NT cafe NEVER lets you down. Also handy to have on UK holidays as there is always somewhere to go to.

We lapsed a while back but I can see a stage when we retire where we take it up again. They have some fascinating places to go to.

Flash photography is usually banned because it affects the paint pigment in paintings. I think that is the case from memory. I first came across that on honeymoon in Italy where they make a point of that in the Basilica's, museums etc. I assume it for that reason, possibly because it would anoy other people if flashes were going off continuously. I agree with Megasteve's comment though. Nowadays people just get their camera out and press the button. They have no idea how to turn the flash off.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Been a member for 2 years now, loads of places to go in Scotland and England.
Was doing an archaeological dig at Brodie Castle last time i was home, my son loved it.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I worked for them a while ago and they do have some lovely properties. It's interesting that their constitution disallows them from selling off any of their properties..

Brockhampton estate near Bromyard in Herefordshire must be one of the most beautiful places in England. Love it.

Wolf

Visit site
Funny enough I am planning to get HID membership of the NT and the RHS as part of her birthday present. As a one car family she tends to come on a lot of golf trips with my and is more than happy to go off and do her own thing looking at NT places or anything to do with gardening so think it makes sense to get her membership. I tend to take these places a little for granted but on the rare occasion we do go to a house together I am always fascinated by the history so maybe I am just in NT denial
I love how your present to her benefits your ability to go to golf and have a pint 😂

Absolutely legendary Homer

Tashyboy

Visit site
I’m almost 30 my wife is 23 we are members national trust but mainly Chatsworth Gold members as are a stones throw away we spend a lot of time there.

We are spoiled to be fair as we have some cracking NT locations near us in the Peak District.

We don’t stink of tiddle just yet but she’s a Horticulturist, I’m an Architect and we have two dogs. So we often go visit the gardens and grounds and appreciate the architecture rather than the internal decor as we get dragged around by the dogs that can’t go in.

We get our moneys worth from parking alone really and it gives us endless locations to walk the dogs.

If there’s any exhibitions on locally we will sometimes leave the dogs at home and have a snoop.

Did a stonking walk around Chatsworth last year, starting at the church where JFKs relative is buried. ☹️

Tashyboy

Visit site
One of the few things we miss since we left Milton Keynes is Waddesdon! If you get the chance to go when they put on the lights extravaganza at Xmas well worth doing, especially if you couple it with when the xmas markets are on out the front.

The annual membership worth it just for the gardens some of these places have, especially now we have a dog again
Checked it out and Missis T has that road trip look in her eye.