The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The only problem with that argument is that the clubs knew that by setting up this rival to the CL they were at risk of losing their places in their respective national leagues. If the ESL had gone ahead then those clubs would (or at least should) have lost their place in their domestic leagues. Any that weren't aware of the implications of entering a league that wasn't approved by UEFA/FIFA etc needs to get better advisors.

clearly the clubs involved sadly were quite comfortable it was should but not would

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The only problem with that argument is that the clubs knew that by setting up this rival to the CL they were at risk of losing their places in their respective national leagues. If the ESL had gone ahead then those clubs would (or at least should) have lost their place in their domestic leagues. Any that weren't aware of the implications of entering a league that wasn't approved by UEFA/FIFA etc needs to get better advisors.

Or they were confident/arrogant enough to believe that the domestic leagues wouldn't dare risk losing that many big names and diminishing their product?

D

Deleted member 16999

Exactly Phil; this was set up as an alternative to the Champions League because of the proposed changes, nothing to do with leaving the Premier League. If anything, their need to stay in their respective domestic leagues was greater to preserve their stock; if they lost their Premier League standing the status of the ESL would have been hugely diminished.
Sorry mate, but to say exactly is to accept the ESL plan, remember this was never discussed or agreed with anyone else outside of themselves, they expected the PL to roll over and have their belly tickled with the promise of more cash and if given a choice PL or ESL, I believe they’d of chosen the ESL.

If then, as some believe, the PL was at risk of failing without them, who would of been held responsible? Not them, they’d be sitting pretty telling everybody “I told you so” so for that reason I believe he has a point.

As for who used Furlough, Bournemouth (initially), Liverpool (initially), Newcastle, Norwich and Spurs (initially)

D

Deleted member 15344

Possibly the same that you suggested Liverpool faced after their fans attacked the Real Madrid team coach?
So just deflection to another team with unrelated incident

Did that action cause the game to be postponed ? Did they throw flares at media studio ? Did they throw bottles at the police ?

There would be no doubt that if Liverpool fans or indeed any other fans had caused a game to be postponed then there would be repercussions including the opposition being awarded the game

The fans protest went beyond peaceful and caused a match to be postponed.

D

Deleted member 16999

I’m sure on here we heard from fans of the Big 6 ( and me) that docking them points for the ESL plan was unfair on the fans and players because it was the owners at fault.

So on what planet would it be fair to the owner and players of Man Utd to, in effect, dock them 3 points by awarding the game to LPool because it was fans at fault?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I wonder if José realises he should have tried playing him yet? ?

I asked the question last week, why did Spurs not start with Bale and Alli against City in the league cup final. I was assured they were not match fit. They have had a good week getting fit. ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I asked the question last week, why did Spurs not start with Bale and Alli against City in the league cup final. I was assured they were not match fit. They have had a good week getting fit. ?
It wasn't me that said that? I figure he thought Lucas's running would be more useful when we didn't have the ball against City. As for Dele he's been pony for a long while, it was a surprise to see him start today.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Sorry mate, but to say exactly is to accept the ESL plan, remember this was never discussed or agreed with anyone else outside of themselves, they expected the PL to roll over and have their belly tickled with the promise of more cash and if given a choice PL or ESL, I believe they’d of chosen the ESL.

If then, as some believe, the PL was at risk of failing without them, who would of been held responsible? Not them, they’d be sitting pretty telling everybody “I told you so” so for that reason I believe he has a point.

As for who used Furlough, Bournemouth (initially), Liverpool (initially), Newcastle, Norwich and Spurs (initially)

And I do accept that was the ESL plan; they planned to leave the Champions League to form a semi closed shop super league whilst remaining in their own domestic leagues.

Whether or not they would have succeeded in achieving their plan is another matter, but for Neville to keep pushing that the primary plan was to abandon the Premier League is, I believe, incorrect. Pillory them for what they have done by all means, but don't pillory them for something that wasn't part of the original plan.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If peaceful doesn’t work that shouldnt ever mean that it can go beyond that

But what do you think will work ? - the Glazers won’t sell because of what happened tonight , for H&G it was the banks that forced the sale through - if they weren’t in debt to the banks they might well still be owners of the club despite the fans protesting

As for fans - it’s a tribal sport and it’s not going to change , fans of City for example won’t want anything to change because things are great for them and their club , same with Chelsea but at the end of the day we are all just the bottom of the ladder , unless every single fan stops buying tickets and stops putting money into the clubs and sky - what do you think will change ?

As for restructuring English football - how are they going to manage that and be able to please every single and fan , what restructuring can be actually possible when we consider the position the sport is in right now and now it’s now more about the business and the money. It’s easy to say it’s needs to change but it’s near impossible to think about how to change it - the big change was made when the Prem League was started - how can that be undone.

Why not, get out of your ivory tower.

I certainly hope that peaceful, and intelligent pressure can be brought to bear, but if it doesnt other pressure may work and I genuinely hope it doesnt have to come to it.

Did the banks just turn up one day and say thats it? No they didnt. The pressure was applied over many months, as well as online intelligent pressure, which in turn led to changes in the board structure and so on. Its a long tale, but the bank was the end game.

It doesnt have to be every fan, why do you persist with this?

Again, why every fan?

Were the German clubs owned by the fans 20 years ago? I dont think so. If you dont attempt anything, you'll get nowhere.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It wasn't me that said that? I figure he thought Lucas's running would be more useful when we didn't have the ball against City. As for Dele he's been pony for a long while, it was a surprise to see him start today.
Nope it was deffo not you who mentioned re Bale. But a front four of Kane, Son, Kane, and Alli will get the goals to keep Spurs in the hunt.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why not, get out of your ivory tower.

I certainly hope that peaceful, and intelligent pressure can be brought to bear, but if it doesnt other pressure may work and I genuinely hope it doesnt have to come to it.

Did the banks just turn up one day and say thats it? No they didnt. The pressure was applied over many months, as well as online intelligent pressure, which in turn led to changes in the board structure and so on. Its a long tale, but the bank was the end game.

It doesnt have to be every fan, why do you persist with this?

Again, why every fan?

Were the German clubs owned by the fans 20 years ago? I dont think so. If you dont attempt anything, you'll get nowhere.

The sound of reason. (y)

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
There would be no doubt that if Liverpool fans or indeed any other fans had caused a game to be postponed then there would be repercussions including the opposition being awarded the game

Ridiculous statement.
It's not happened before, there is no precedent, therefore there has to be doubt ......................... obviously.
Just think about what you're posting, maybe even pretend it's not Manchester United?
Measure twice, cut once. (y)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The way I see it .
If it’s the clubs fault you can’t punish the fans. = ESL
If it’s the fans fault you can’t punish the club = protests.
So not much will happen as usual.