The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Not true. The Green and Gold protests in 2010 were on the back of 3 titles in a row and a CL.

Do you mean for a final where they wore the old Green and Yellow Man Utd shirts and scarves- and that was it , they ditched it a couple weeks later

Unfortunately the sport is rotten to the core - every team wants the money, whether that’s getting into the Prem or CL , the players want the millions , the agents want their share. The fans want to see the players arrive - they want to see the success and trophies. The owners won’t care about protests because they still get their money. Football is a business now and stopped being about the sport a long time ago

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
If United were closer to City and had a chance to win the title then they wouldn’t have a done a thing today - there is no way they would have damaged any chance of winning a trophy , the exact reason why they didn’t do a thing at Roma - because if the club was winning instead of being in the shadows of City and Liverpool over the past 4/5 years then the fans wouldn’t be protesting.

I just think you are so wrong.
Neither of us actually know, so lets leave it for others to surmise for themselves.
I'm going to stop rinsing and repeating on this subject.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I mentioned months ago I am not renewing my season ticket. Am happy with City, very happy. But the changing of fixtures for TV,. VAR, bloody VAR. It’s tipped me over the edge. Quite frankly the match going fans. The Prem league in chasing the pounds are taking the piss. Me I have had enough. If the Prem league wants to put telly paying fans first then shove it al watch it on telly. But not Sky, BT, Amazon. This super league idea is the straw that’s broke the camels back for a lot of fans. Not I suspect so much for the fans of Chelsea and City.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The super european league isn't going ahead. Not too sure why they are protesting any more. Seems you can protest and be offended by everything nowadays. Find something better to do nothing will change. On other notes I hope the game gets abandoned and both lose the points!!!

4LEX

Visit site
Do you mean for a final where they wore the old Green and Yellow Man Utd shirts and scarves- and that was it , they ditched it a couple weeks later

I think more people attended the protest against AC Milan that year than today, it's just a more volatile protest now. However that wasn't your point, you claimed if Utd were successful they'd be no protest, which I just proved was wrong.

And today was picked because it's a much bigger game with TV viewers of 600m, compared to a nothing game against Roma on BT Sport. No one cared about that game. What happened today is the first time in the history of the Premier League a game was cancelled due to fan protests.

This has been bubbling for years and the European Super League was the final straw, this is just the start of it.

D

Deleted member 1418

The irony of Comrade Neville going on about the evils of rich foreign owners whilst taking money from the broadcaster that bears a large share of the responsibiliity for the situation we find ourselveslves in is mind blowing.

Do you think he forgot about his rich foreign mate who invested in Salford? ??

D

Deleted member 15344

I think more people attended the protest against AC Milan that year than today, it's just a more volatile protest now. However that wasn't your point, you claimed if Utd were successful they'd be no protest, which I just proved was wrong.

And today was picked because it's a much bigger game with TV viewers of 600m, compared to a nothing game against Roma on BT Sport. No one cared about that game. What happened today is the first time in the history of the Premier League a game was cancelled due to fan protests.

This has been bubbling for years and the European Super League was the final straw, this is just the start of it.

The protests today were designed to cause disruption to the game , postponed etc because there was no trophy on the line - if there was a trophy on the line it wouldn’t have happened. The Premier League should now award the game to Liverpool

Previously their protests where very low key , wearing colours and a couple of banners - but it just died away as they kept winning titles , and if they had kept winning most wouldn’t care on who owned them as long as they kept the players arriving.

This all started back in 1991 and Man Utd where the first club to take advantage of the millions on offer .

It’s funny that after they all talk about how money is ruining the sport etc - they then talk about how Man Utd will improve and the answer - spend millions on more players.

I have no idea what the answer is but I don’t think things are going to change - when your team wins 99.9% won’t care who the owner is and what their links are etc. Whether that’s US Hedge Funds , US Sports owners , Russian Oil billionaires , Middle East billionaires.

It’s too far gone to change now. And when the summer comes along social media will be awash with clubs spending millions more

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Do you think he forgot about his rich foreign mate who invested in Salford? ??

I'd be interested to know why they needed a board meeting to decide if Salford City were going to furlough staff; I'd have thought that didn't need much thinking about in his position.

I'd also be interested to know if Neville turned his hotel over to NHS staff at the height of the crisis to save NHS staff long commutes, like a "dangerous" football club owner from SW6 did, despite being banned from running his business in the country where he undertook this act of kindness.

D

Deleted member 16999

I'd be interested to know why they needed a board meeting to decide if Salford City were going to furlough staff; I'd have thought that didn't need much thinking about in his position.

I'd also be interested to know if Neville turned his hotel over to NHS staff at the height of the crisis to save NHS staff long commutes, like a "dangerous" football club owner from SW6 did, despite being banned from running his business in the country where he undertook this act of kindness.
Mate, he and Giggs were one of the first with Abramovich to open his hotel’s to NHS Staff, it was reported on 18/19 March last year.

Salford held a board meeting because he’s only 1 of 4 votes and it was discounted straight away.

Maybe some of your frustration with him could be aimed at the Big 6 Clubs whose billionaires did use the furlough scheme.;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The super european league isn't going ahead. Not too sure why they are protesting any more. Seems you can protest and be offended by everything nowadays. Find something better to do nothing will change. On other notes I hope the game gets abandoned and both lose the points!!!

its not going ahead this time in the format proposed, the protests are aimed at the owners of the clubs who no doubt will continue to try and go down this route with a new proposal sooner rather than later

4LEX

Visit site
The protests today were designed to cause disruption to the game , postponed etc because there was no trophy on the line - if there was a trophy on the line it wouldn’t have happened. The Premier League should now award the game to Liverpool

Previously their protests where very low key , wearing colours and a couple of banners - but it just died away as they kept winning titles , and if they had kept winning most wouldn’t care on who owned them as long as they kept the players arriving.

This all started back in 1991 and Man Utd where the first club to take advantage of the millions on offer .

It’s funny that after they all talk about how money is ruining the sport etc - they then talk about how Man Utd will improve and the answer - spend millions on more players.

I have no idea what the answer is but I don’t think things are going to change - when your team wins 99.9% won’t care who the owner is and what their links are etc. Whether that’s US Hedge Funds , US Sports owners , Russian Oil billionaires , Middle East billionaires.

It’s too far gone to change now. And when the summer comes along social media will be awash with clubs spending millions more

The protests were huge in 2010 but the fact you can't remember them shows that line of protest doesn't work. Direct protests have done more today than than anything since 2005. That shows this change in tactic has worked a treat.

I think after the ESL plan they'd be protests whatever, even if Utd had the title won. Ferguson and trophies definitely helped cool the tension in the past, now it's all out war on the owners.

The rest I agree on. Bit of excitement at the end of poor season. The rematch will be a night game and the potential is even higher for that to be targeted I imagine.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The protests were huge in 2010 but the fact you can't remember them shows that line of protest doesn't work. Direct protests have done more today than than anything since 2005. That shows this change in tactic has worked a treat.

I think after the ESL plan they'd be protests whatever, even if Utd had the title won. Ferguson and trophies definitely helped cool the tension in the past, now it's all out war on the owners.

The rest I agree on. Bit of excitement at the end of poor season. The rematch will be a night game and the potential is even higher for that to be targeted I imagine.

that was always the issue with them cancelling today, hard to see how its not on a bigger scale when it is rescheduled

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Even if you've surmised some things correctly (its an opinion) and may agree with some, some not, it's not what MATTERS!!!

I dont want to "profit" from fans rightfully protesting about removal of terrible owners. Some of it mis-guided, but overall, I'm behind them. If there were 10k Liverpool fans protesting some divvies would do something daft, and probably the same for any set of 10k footy fans.

You can nit-pick, try and profit from it, or maybe get on the bandwagon and try and help to restructure English football.

We helped to get rid of our previous bad owners, so its not impossible, people who want to give up, go ahead, but no fight, no change.

We dont need owner and business "apologists" and "splitters", we need unity.

Yours, one scouse barsteward.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even if you've surmised some things correctly (its an opinion) and may agree with some, some not, it's not what MATTERS!!!

I dont want to "profit" from fans rightfully protesting about removal of terrible owners. Some of it mis-guided, but overall, I'm behind them. If there were 10k Liverpool fans protesting some divvies would do something daft, and probably the same for any set of 10k footy fans.

You can nit-pick, try and profit from it, or maybe get on the bandwagon and try and help to restructure English football.

We helped to get rid of our previous bad owners, so its not impossible, people who want to give up, go ahead, but no fight, no change.

Not from my lot. Unless you're going to let us clone each supporter three times to make it up to 10k.

But being serious, even in the 3-4000 we get at home games there are a fair share of idiots. Every club has them and it's up to the decent fans to call them out on the unacceptable behaviour, rather than try to excuse it or make out another club is worse etc.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not from my lot. Unless you're going to let us clone each supporter three times to make it up to 10k.

But being serious, even in the 3-4000 we get at home games there are a fair share of idiots. Every club has them and it's up to the decent fans to call them out on the unacceptable behaviour, rather than try to excuse it or make out another club is worse etc.

Yes, but sometimes more easily said than done, especially in mob situations.

It is a very emotive subject that they are dealing with.

D

Deleted member 15344

Nothing to do with trying to profit from anything - more about this level of protest cannot happen to cause a game to be called off

Also have no issue at all with people doing any sort of peaceful protest - but that wasn’t peaceful , there are plenty of videos all over social media of what was happening , and also what was being chanted by a good number outside the ground

Where was all this “fans together” etc when Bury went out of business - did Sky and Neville do anything to help them out. Those same fans protesting today “peacefully” will be at the front of the queue buying tickets and shirts helping put money into the owners pockets.

Restructuring English football imo is a pipe dream - it’s gone way beyond being able to make any meaningful changes to the sport. Come the summer if UTD buy Haaland for example and spend £150mil on him anything about the owners will be pushed to the back of peoples minds

For something meaningful to happen it must affect the whole of the sport in Europe - wage caps , maximum transfer fees , even distribution of all Telly money , 50% of all money from the Telly rights goes to the Football league, remove the CL and have it back to the European Cup and UEFA Cup , being in foreign player restrictions, limit spending on only what a club makes , remove agent fees - we could go on but the people at the heart of the sport are as bad as the owners - Prem League , UEFA , FIFA , Sky etc

Last edited by a moderator: