The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, but sometimes more easily said than done, especially in mob situations.

It is a very emotive subject that they are dealing with.

Apologies, I could've been clearer. I was more suggesting calling out the bad behaviour afterwards, rather than being an apologist for it, not suggesting that fans should be confronting those fans at the time and possibly making the situation worse.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nothing to do with trying to profit from anything - more about this level of protest cannot happen to cause a game to be called off

Also have no issue at all with people doing any sort of peaceful protest - but that wasn’t peaceful , there are plenty of videos all over social media of what was happening , and also what was being chanted by a good number outside the ground

Where was all this “fans together” etc when Bury went out of business - did Sky and Neville do anything to help them out. Those same fans protesting today “peacefully” will be at the front of the queue buying tickets and shirts helping put money into the owners pockets.

Restructuring English football imo is a pipe dream - it’s gone way beyond being able to make any meaningful changes to the sport. Come the summer if UTD buy Haaland for example and spend £150mil on him anything about the owners will be pushed to the back of peoples minds

For something meaningful to happen it must affect the whole of the sport in Europe - wage caps , maximum transfer fees , even distribution of all Telly money , 50% of all money from the Telly rights goes to the Football league, remove the CL and have it back to the European Cup and UEFA Cup , being in foreign player restrictions, limit spending on only what a club makes , remove agent fees - we could go on but the people at the heart of the sport are as bad as the owners - Prem League , UEFA , FIFA , Sky etc

You said we should get the 3 points, that is IMO trying to profit from it.

Peaceful doesnt always work. I'm not saying burn, fight and damage, but banners and hashtags wont work on their own.

Yes, we can all point fingers and engage in whatabouttery, and that will dilute the message. There is a bigger chance of a Bury not happening of we re-structure correctly.

I agree on lots of what needs to happen, but we wont get there by fans slagging off other fans, diluting the message, and getting picked off by the ones with vested interests. That is the reason why we havent been able to have a unified message and pressure group of fans for 40 years. If we did, change would happen, believe me.

Ready to burn your armchair? ;)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Mate, he and Giggs were one of the first with Abramovich to open his hotel’s to NHS Staff, it was reported on 18/19 March last year.

Salford held a board meeting because he’s only 1 of 4 votes and it was discounted straight away.

Maybe some of your frustration with him could be aimed at the Big 6 Clubs whose billionaires did use the furlough scheme.;)

It may have been reported up north Paul, it didn't get reported that I saw down here; was Abramovich widely reported up north?

My frustration has already been directed towards those owners who did use the furlough scheme, trust me.

I'd have less of an issue with Neville if he resigned his position at Sky in protest at what their involvement has done to the game, but he seems quite happy to take the money whilst criticising everyone other than his employer. I believe he's also misrepresenting what was proposed.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It may have been reported up north Paul, it didn't get reported that I saw down here; was Abramovich widely reported up north?

My frustration has already been directed towards those owners who did use the furlough scheme, trust me.

I'd have less of an issue with Neville if he resigned his position at Sky in protest at what their involvement has done to the game, but he seems quite happy to take the money whilst criticising everyone other than his employer. I believe he's also misrepresenting what was proposed.

This all day ? as I have said many times the hypocrisy across footbal at all levels is something else.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
The protests today were designed to cause disruption to the game , postponed etc because there was no trophy on the line - if there was a trophy on the line it wouldn’t have happened. The Premier League should now award the game to Liverpool

Previously their protests where very low key , wearing colours and a couple of banners - but it just died away as they kept winning titles , and if they had kept winning most wouldn’t care on who owned them as long as they kept the players arriving.

This all started back in 1991 and Man Utd where the first club to take advantage of the millions on offer .

It’s funny that after they all talk about how money is ruining the sport etc - they then talk about how Man Utd will improve and the answer - spend millions on more players.

I have no idea what the answer is but I don’t think things are going to change - when your team wins 99.9% won’t care who the owner is and what their links are etc. Whether that’s US Hedge Funds , US Sports owners , Russian Oil billionaires , Middle East billionaires.

It’s too far gone to change now. And when the summer comes along social media will be awash with clubs spending millions more

Have we both missed a trick Phil? There was a trophy on the line; would the protest have happened if a Liverpool win wouldn't have handed City the title?

D

Deleted member 16999

Not denying he’s a pita or agreeing with everything he says, but he has done a lot of good which can also be recognised, it was reported on BBC and Sky about what they did, and yes, Abramovich was on both as well.(y)

D

Deleted member 15344

You said we should get the 3 points, that is IMO trying to profit from it.

Peaceful doesnt always work. I'm not saying burn, fight and damage, but banners and hashtags wont work on their own.

Yes, we can all point fingers and engage in whatabouttery, and that will dilute the message. There is a bigger chance of a Bury not happening of we re-structure correctly.

I agree on lots of what needs to happen, but we wont get there by fans slagging off other fans, diluting the message, and getting picked off by the ones with vested interests. That is the reason why we havent been able to have a unified message and pressure group of fans for 40 years. If we did, change would happen, believe me.

Ready to burn your armchair? ;)

If peaceful doesn’t work that shouldnt ever mean that it can go beyond that

But what do you think will work ? - the Glazers won’t sell because of what happened tonight , for H&G it was the banks that forced the sale through - if they weren’t in debt to the banks they might well still be owners of the club despite the fans protesting

As for fans - it’s a tribal sport and it’s not going to change , fans of City for example won’t want anything to change because things are great for them and their club , same with Chelsea but at the end of the day we are all just the bottom of the ladder , unless every single fan stops buying tickets and stops putting money into the clubs and sky - what do you think will change ?

As for restructuring English football - how are they going to manage that and be able to please every single and fan , what restructuring can be actually possible when we consider the position the sport is in right now and now it’s now more about the business and the money. It’s easy to say it’s needs to change but it’s near impossible to think about how to change it - the big change was made when the Prem League was started - how can that be undone.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Not denying he’s a pita or agreeing with everything he says, but he has done a lot of good which can also be recognised, it was reported on BBC and Sky about what they did, and yes, Abramovich was on both as well.(y)

Not denying he's done good, but he is in danger of losing any goodwill for the good he has done by continuing to bang this particular drum, presumably at his employer's behest.

You must have heard of Jones the sheep... ;)

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd be interested to know why they needed a board meeting to decide if Salford City were going to furlough staff; I'd have thought that didn't need much thinking about in his position.

I'd also be interested to know if Neville turned his hotel over to NHS staff at the height of the crisis to save NHS staff long commutes, like a "dangerous" football club owner from SW6 did, despite being banned from running his business in the country where he undertook this act of kindness.

Yes, he did.

D

Deleted member 16999

Not denying he's done good, but he is in danger of losing any goodwill for the good he has done by continuing to bang this particular drum, presumably at his employer's behest.

You must have heard of Jones the sheep... ;)
I normally close my ears when him and Carragher start, but today I thought Carragher come across very well, Neville as you say is becoming too emotional and is in danger of being called out.

D

Deleted member 15344

Maybe it was just me but he kept implying that the clubs were leaving the English league to set up their own league ? He seemed to be getting what was proposed all wrong - or he was putting it across wrong.

They were attempting to replace the CL as opposed to the League - all the Sky Prem money etc would still be there etc.

In regards the furlough- I know a few proposed to use it including shamefully Liverpool ( again Neville kept bringing that up ) but did any clubs actually use it in the end ?

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I normally close my ears when him and Carragher start, but today I thought Carragher come across very well, Neville as you say is becoming too emotional and is in danger of being called out.

He was downright rude talking to the anchor (that's not a euphemism) Dave, so much so that Mrs. BiM was moved to comment.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The protests today were designed to cause disruption to the game , postponed etc because there was no trophy on the line - if there was a trophy on the line it wouldn’t have happened. The Premier League should now award the game to Liverpool

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That's brilliant, but I think it's in the wrong thread.
Laughter - the best medicine ............... I think that's the one you're after. (y)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If peaceful doesn’t work that shouldnt ever mean that it can go beyond that

But what do you think will work ? - the Glazers won’t sell because of what happened tonight , for H&G it was the banks that forced the sale through - if they weren’t in debt to the banks they might well still be owners of the club despite the fans protesting

As for fans - it’s a tribal sport and it’s not going to change , fans of City for example won’t want anything to change because things are great for them and their club , same with Chelsea but at the end of the day we are all just the bottom of the ladder , unless every single fan stops buying tickets and stops putting money into the clubs and sky - what do you think will change ?

As for restructuring English football - how are they going to manage that and be able to please every single and fan , what restructuring can be actually possible when we consider the position the sport is in right now and now it’s now more about the business and the money. It’s easy to say it’s needs to change but it’s near impossible to think about how to change it - the big change was made when the Prem League was started - how can that be undone.

Why not? Without going too far off topic, you were part of the military - is that only ever used for peaceful situations?

Chelsea fans done their bit the other week.

You can never please every single fan, now you're being daft.

If the fans unite, if the Govt gets involved in legislation etc, it cab create a critical momentum that would be hard to stop.

Or you can just give right up, but enjoy slagging all and sundry off, who tries to be at least be part of the change.

If it fails, send AC-12 in. (y)

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Maybe it was just me but he kept implying that the clubs were leaving the English league to set up their own league ? He seemed to be getting what was proposed all wrong - or he was putting it across wrong.

They were attempting to replace the CL as opposed to the League - all the Sky Prem money etc would still be there etc.

In regards the furlough- I know a few proposed to use it including shamefully Liverpool ( again Neville kept bringing that up ) but did any clubs actually use it in the end ?

Exactly Phil; this was set up as an alternative to the Champions League because of the proposed changes, nothing to do with leaving the Premier League. If anything, their need to stay in their respective domestic leagues was greater to preserve their stock; if they lost their Premier League standing the status of the ESL would have been hugely diminished.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly Phil; this was set up as an alternative to the Champions League because of the proposed changes, nothing to do with leaving the Premier League. If anything, their need to stay in their respective domestic leagues was greater to preserve their stock; if they lost their Premier League standing the status of the ESL would have been hugely diminished.

The only problem with that argument is that the clubs knew that by setting up this rival to the CL they were at risk of losing their places in their respective national leagues. If the ESL had gone ahead then those clubs would (or at least should) have lost their place in their domestic leagues. Any that weren't aware of the implications of entering a league that wasn't approved by UEFA/FIFA etc needs to get better advisors.

D

Deleted member 15344

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That's brilliant, but I think it's in the wrong thread.
Laughter - the best medicine ............... I think that's the one you're after. (y)

So what punishment should the club face due to the actions of the fans today then ?

Why not? Without going too far off topic, you were part of the military - is that only ever used for peaceful situations?

Chelsea fans done their bit the other week.

You can never please every single fan, now you're being daft.

If the fans unite, if the Govt gets involved in legislation etc, it cab create a critical momentum that would be hard to stop.

Or you can just give right up, but enjoy slagging all and sundry off, who tries to be at least be part of the change.

If it fails, send AC-12 in. (y)

Military and football fans ?‍♂️ I don’t understand that tangent

A peaceful protest is everyone’s right - going beyond that is breaking the law - no one is justified to do that just to remove a sport club owner

And Chelsea fans protested peaceful and their owner acted.

Are you going to stop buying tickets ? Or sky ? BT sports to stop putting money into their pockets ?

Government getting involved in sport ? Really - all those millions they get from the foreign owners

And you can’t “unite all fans” because everyone will always be looking at from their own clubs perspective - it’s near impossible

But what changes exactly would you like to see and you think can be implemented across the sport