The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Merse is old school, he's got his issues but he is genuine. I think he struggles to articulate things in the heat of the moment but a lot of what he says generally is spot on. I don't think he realised that tech was available in the competition. As far as I know it's never been available in the EFL beyond The Championship to date, let alone the first round of the EFL Cup.

Sutton is clever and sly, he knows what he's doing and winds people up very well. Two totally different type of pundit.
He dilefinitely struggles to articulate his opinion in the heat of the moment, and usually just resorts to shouting. Shout loud enough, and he must be right :)

PaulMdj

Visit site
Merse is old school, he's got his issues but he is genuine. I think he struggles to articulate things in the heat of the moment but a lot of what he says generally is spot on. I don't think he realised that tech was available in the competition. As far as I know it's never been available in the EFL beyond The Championship to date, let alone the first round of the EFL Cup.

Sutton is clever and sly, he knows what he's doing and winds people up very well. Two totally different type of pundit.
Good try, but goal line technology has been in use in the EFL since 2017/18, for all Championship matches and in the play offs for league 1 & 2 at times, so no reason why it wouldn’t be used in sll comps

Plus why didn’t the other pundits or presenter help him out, the camera zoomed in on the Ref looking at his wrist then awarding a goal.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good try, but goal line technology has been in use in the EFL since 2017/18, for all Championship matches and in the play offs for league 1 & 2 at times, so no reason why it wouldn’t be used in sll comps

Plus why didn’t the other pundits or presenter help him out, the camera zoomed in on the Ref looking at his wrist then awarding a goal.
I honestly think Sky are happy when he has one of his braindead rants because they whack it up on Facebook or Twitter and get loads of clicks. The other panel members have probably been instructed not to intervene.

Given that all the good pundits and presenter have gone he's all they have left.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Merson is a clown , always has been , I’m sure he is just there just so that others can look good
Disageee. Given everything he has had to deal with I think he still comes across as someone with a passion for the game and enjoys being able to share what he is seeing with the viewers and describes it almost from a fans perspective. He isn't the most educated or articulated man but I'd rather have his heart on the sleeve punditry than a sterile relay of events from someone with no passion basically talking from a TV screen. I'd also argue most of us would be unable to go into a studio like that and perform as well as Merson

PaulMdj

Visit site
Disageee. Given everything he has had to deal with I think he still comes across as someone with a passion for the game and enjoys being able to share what he is seeing with the viewers and describes it almost from a fans perspective. He isn't the most educated or articulated man but I'd rather have his heart on the sleeve punditry than a sterile relay of events from someone with no passion basically talking from a TV screen. I'd also argue most of us would be unable to go into a studio like that and perform as well as Merson
So rather than someone actually getting the facts correct, you rather someone with passion made things up!😵‍💫

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So rather than someone actually getting the facts correct, you rather someone with passion made things up!😵‍💫
If you ever watch Merson for any period of time, he'll have the rant and then the camera will go to other events and come back and he'll paraphrase in a more sane and accurate way. I have seen the likes of Ainsworth, Michael Dawson and Karen Cairney also get carried away not be totally accurate in what they are describing so it isn't limited to Merson

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Merson is a clown , always has been , I’m sure he is just there just so that others can look good

I actually used to really enjoy listening to him. He said it as he saw it, and I generally agreed with many of his views.

Sadly, as time has gone on he seems to have morphed into the sort of pundit who deliberately offers opinions which are the polar opposite to what most right minded people are thinking, merely to provoke a debate or reaction. Whilst I am not saying that is wrong necessarily, it really becomes an issue when those opinions are so ridiculously stupid they actually detract from the point someone is trying to get across.

And that is what Paul Merson has become.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I actually used to really enjoy listening to him. He said it as he saw it, and I generally agreed with many of his views.

Sadly, as time has gone on he seems to have morphed into the sort of pundit who deliberately offers opinions which are the polar opposite to what most right minded people are thinking, merely to provoke a debate or reaction. Whilst I am not saying that is wrong necessarily, it really becomes an issue when those opinions are so ridiculously stupid they actually detract from the point someone is trying to get across.

Has become or has been asked to provide views in this manner?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

In that past he used to be part of that selling gang with the likes of Thompson etc and he was sort of the young cheeky chap that every now and then put out some pearl of wisdom and gave the Arsenal slant on things

Since they all left it’s got boring and stale and some has he

Billysboots

Visit site
Has become or has been asked to provide views in this manner?

Who knows? Some merit in Sky asking him to provoke discussion.

But if that’s the case they’ve made him look like a washed up has-been. It’s actually quite sad to watch him these days - he’s not an insightful expert, but a bit of a figure of fun.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Who knows? Some merit in Sky asking him to provoke discussion.

But if that’s the case they’ve made him look like a washed up has-been. It’s actually quite sad to watch him these days - he’s not an insightful expert, but a bit of a figure of fun.
Wasn't the same said about Kamara as well. He never got it factually correct either at a match or in the studio (remember the sending off at Pompey he hadn't seen?)

Billysboots

Visit site
Wasn't the same said about Kamara as well. He never got it factually correct either at a match or in the studio (remember the sending off at Pompey he hadn't seen?)

But Chris Kamara was always the same. He never tried to be something that he wasn’t.

Merson is either trying to be Sky Sports’ version of Sutton, or has been told to be. He doesn’t possess the intelligence or ability to articulate like Sutton does, and it shows.

Billysboots

Visit site
Looks like Kalvin Phillips is going on loan to Ipswich.
I don’t see this being a good move for him.

Could be a really good move. He’ll be working with a good coach, in a team which nobody expects to see achieve much at this level. It might be just the sort of move he needs.