The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Unfortunately that is the norm for a shirt nowadays and it stinks. Wheni was on Holiday last year a guy was showing me his fake shirts from China.I just couldn’t.
Cannot remember the last time I bought a new release shirt. That will change this season. Citys new shirt 3rd shirt is a thing of beauty. Yellow and black stripes. Like the old one City beat Gillingham in the 1st play off final.
Oddly enough that shirt and a few others I have are worth quite a few quid.Old retro shirts are going for stupid money.
Mate bought a fake England shirt to go to the Euros,looked spot on.

The old Barca Kappa tops go for a few quid,beauty that.

Swango1980

Visit site
Honestly, the amount of thickos in this country writing Kane off is hilarious. Very short memories. He just had one of the best seasons of his career, scored over 40 goals in all comps at a goal a game ratio, and he's about to turn 31 so still in his prime. Yet people talk like he's about to retire because he had a bad tournament, when at least 7 of our starters also had a bad tournament by most people's accounts. After a short break, come the next set of qualifiers he will be back smashing goals in. There is no doubt about that.
What's more, 7 games ago just before the tournament started, many of these same people insisted England should definitely win, and if they didn't win only Southgate would be to blame. Their reasoning being that England have many of the finest players on earth, including one of the greatest strikers on earth. At no point did I hear any of these fans insisting Watkins or Toney should be 1st choice striker.

7 games later, Kane is past it. No good. Might as well retire. Might as well throw players like Walker on to the scrap heap, and fans even starting to call Rice rubbish. Won't be long before they start calling Bellingham and Foden no good.

I guess that is why ex players sometimes say playing for England isn't all that enjoyable. So many fans ready to stick the knife in after a poor spell. Even more remarkable to be critical of Walker, given that England still made the final, and defensively England were not actually that bad overall.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Been reading a few articles about about the next stage

After each tournament some players are no longer required so who do you see missing out now

Think it was already decided beforehand that

Henderson
Maguire
Wilson
Phillips

Will no longer be called up

The ones who went

Walker
Dunk
Trippier
Shaw ?

Will I think miss the next squad

The ones that are questionable

Grealish and Sterling - good seasons can still see them around

Rashford - if someone can get him back playing then he is a great player

And then there is a conundrum-

Kane !

When looking at the players in and around the u21’s - England could have a very bright future

Branthwaite
Quansah
Lewis
Colwill
Elliot
Wharton
Jones
Delap

The Under 21’s won their Euros last year and many players are now regulars

So any other players that should be put out to international retirement and any other youngesters banging on the door
Maybe he is not banging on the door just yet but Tino Livramento could be a future England right back....I expect him to get more game time next season now that Trippiers talents are on the wane and he has already shown that he has talent both defensively and offensively and has so far represented England at every age group from Under 15's to Under 21's.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Maybe he is not banging on the door just yet but Tino Livramento could be a future England right back....I expect him to get more game time next season now that Trippiers talents are on the wane and he has already shown that he has talent both defensively and offensively and has so far represented England at every age group from Under 15's to Under 21's.
Forgot about him👍🏻 possibly needs calling up to the senior squad soonest to stop Portugal or Scotland poaching him.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always buy my son the new kit from Ali Baba, they are perfect, I swear they are made in the same factory.

Many years ago I used to work at a Ross Foods factory (since taken over by Heinz I think) where they produced frozen potato products. The chips would come down a conveyor belt and into the bags. Part way through the shift they would stop the line and change all of the packaging from Tesco to Asda for example and then start up the conveyor again. It was exactly the same chips going into the bags just with a different supermarket name printed on it. The same happened for hash browns, potato croquettes etc. Exactly the same product going to different retailers. I'm sure it's not the only industry it happens in.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Many years ago I used to work at a Ross Foods factory (since taken over by Heinz I think) where they produced frozen potato products. The chips would come down a conveyor belt and into the bags. Part way through the shift they would stop the line and change all of the packaging from Tesco to Asda for example and then start up the conveyor again. It was exactly the same chips going into the bags just with a different supermarket name printed on it. The same happened for hash browns, potato croquettes etc. Exactly the same product going to different retailers. I'm sure it's not the only industry it happens in.
HID says this a lot of the time about all sorts including things like shower gel. She recently went to Aldi and got some and said it smelt just like the normal one we get from Waitrose. I pointed out how many factories do you think are producing shower gel (and other stuff) in the UK. All from one place under different packaging

Swango1980

Visit site
HID says this a lot of the time about all sorts including things like shower gel. She recently went to Aldi and got some and said it smelt just like the normal one we get from Waitrose. I pointed out how many factories do you think are producing shower gel (and other stuff) in the UK. All from one place under different packaging
Yes, but the packaging is what is important.

I'd sooner have a Waitrose apple over an Aldi apple :D

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bear in mind, it may be the same line, it may not be the same ingredients, the same spec. It might be, it also may not be. One factory may supply 10 places with shower gel but they may be 10 completely different shower gels in composition.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
football is expensive now , as is most things - look at how much it costs for a new driver , clubs etc

Clubs will charge fortunes on shirts because they need pay players fortunes to try and win things to appease the fans

So fans complaining about shirt prices etc - the moaning should always be directed towards greedy players and agents

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
football is expensive now , as is most things - look at how much it costs for a new driver , clubs etc

Clubs will charge fortunes on shirts because they need pay players fortunes to try and win things to appease the fans

So fans complaining about shirt prices etc - the moaning should always be directed towards greedy players and agents
But the fans also get mugged for the price of food and drink at the ground, programme prices and that is not even counting season tickets. Basically they are being fleeced at every turn. I am glad I only go a few times a season now with a mate who is a season ticket holder.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Is there any difference in price between Aldi and Waitrose. 😖

PaulMdj

Visit site

I take it no owner has ever made a profit or took dividends from a Club?

You do also realise companies like Nike charge the exact same price for a shirt in their shops as the Clubs charge?

Swango1980

Visit site

That old argument. Greedy players and agents. What you really mean is people trying to maximize their value, like people try and do in every walk of life. Let's not pretend that if any of us were footballers, we wouldn't be trying to maximise our income, and instead being very charitable, undervaluing ourselves and just happy to play football for the love of the game. That if we were the star of the team, we'd be happy continuing to earn £40,000 a week whilst many of our average team mates are earning over £200,000 a week.

Players and agents earn that money, because they are in such a position that money floods into their industry. Broadcasters throw billions their way, because people like us buy Sky Sports, and advertisers pay loads to reach out to us. I've no idea how much money a club earns through selling shirts, relative to their other incomings. But, clearly many millions of people out there still buy the club shirts. So, in that sense, they are not over-priced, as clearly enough people buy them. Of course, we all have a choice. We have no requirement that we must buy them. Personally, I don't argue about the price of the shirts, I'm just happy not to buy one without worrying too much about it.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I take it no owner has ever made a profit or took dividends from a Club?

You do also realise companies like Nike charge the exact same price for a shirt in their shops as the Clubs charge?

Oh I’m very sure that many owners will take a slice of the pie themselves - that’s the mucky world of football

The genie left the bottle a long time ago - and costs will just keep going up and people will continue to pay the prices

The sport is a massive money making machine now - and it’s going to cost people a lot of money , it’s not a local team and local support anymore , clubs make millions from abroad and vice versa spend millions to keep them there

There is greed everywhere

Everton are building a new standing to get more money in , tickets will be more expensive etc

It’s not a cheap sport anymore

PaulMdj

Visit site
Oh I’m very sure that many owners will take a slice of the pie themselves - that’s the mucky world of football

The genie left the bottle a long time ago - and costs will just keep going up and people will continue to pay the prices

The sport is a massive money making machine now - and it’s going to cost people a lot of money , it’s not a local team and local support anymore , clubs make millions from abroad and vice versa spend millions to keep them there

There is greed everywhere

Everton are building a new standing to get more money in , tickets will be more expensive etc

It’s not a cheap sport anymore
Totally agree, but your first post suggested putting all the blame on players and agents(who are greedy) when Clubs are more of a business now and all aspects need to make a profit.

A lot of Clubs also put millions back in to the local community creating jobs and opportunities around the local areas.

City have done it around their area and Everton’s new ground has already breathed new life in to a once run down forgotten part of the town whilst at the same time protecting and saving some of the City’s heritage.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yes, my dad used to deliver for R Whites Lemonade in Beckton, they made Lemonade etc for supermarkets too. Same stuff just cheaper.