The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tad harsh. No-one has got us to two finals and in a one off game it can go either way. Yes we were short on Sunday and definitely out played at times but only a few minutes from extra time and other days we might have got a set piece or a dodgy penalty and nicked it

It's not harsh really. England's pattern for as long as I've followed them has always been to lose to the first decent team we play in a major competition. That has continued under Southgate really.

He did a lot better than those managers that contrived to get us to lose to garbage opposition, of which there have been many, and he deserves great credit for the work he's done boosting morale and togetherness, we're in a much better place now than 2016. However, in the absence of regularly beating the likes of Italy, Germany, Spain, France, Brazil and Argentina at major tournaments, we haven't really transformed from where we were before he took over. We've had some good wins, for example Germany in 2021 and Italy in qualifiers, but the next step is doing it against the very best on a frequent basis in major tournaments, and from what I've seen, Southgate's style of football and tactical nous seems unlikely to ever get us there.

Good move for all parties. There is of course the possibility though, and it's a material one, that whoever comes in does worse. A lot of us (me included) take the solid results Southgate has delivered for granted; it could get worse before it gets better (if indeed it ever does).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not harsh really. England's pattern for as long as I've followed them has always been to lose to the first decent team we play in a major competition. That has continued under Southgate really.

He did a lot better than those managers that contrived to get us to lose to garbage opposition, of which there have been many, and he deserves great credit for the work he's done boosting morale and togetherness, we're in a much better place now than 2016. However, in the absence of regularly beating the likes of Italy, Germany, Spain, France, Brazil and Argentina at major tournaments, we haven't really transformed from where we were before he took over. We've had some good wins, for example Germany in 2021 and Italy in qualifiers, but the next step is doing it against the very best on a frequent basis in major tournaments, and from what I've seen, Southgate's style of football and tactical nous seems unlikely to ever get us there.

Good move for all parties. There is of course the possibility though, and it's a material one, that whoever comes in does worse. A lot of us (me included) take the solid results Southgate has delivered for granted; it could get worse before it gets better (if indeed it ever does).
We have the players to be the best team in the world now. We just don't want to do what Belgium did and give them to a negative, tactically clueless manager like they did with Roberto Martinez. As you say, we regularly lose against other top 8-ish sides, usually by trying to play like the underdogs and sitting back too much. Either of Howe or Potter would be fine by me, they've proven they get teams performing well and in an attacking manner. If it's Carsley we'll just have to wait and see since I don't mind admitting I've watched zero England under-21 games so I have no idea how he sets the team up.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I did laugh a bit when reading GS' leaving speech where he said "England fans are the best in the world". I'd say we are terrible fans, we are abusive with expectations set too high. The negative mindset comes from fear of failure and the abuse the team get when we dont win games comfortably. The press play a huge part in this too. Only have to look at what happened after the missed penalties last time around.

I don't really care who the next manager is, I just want them to install the confidence to play with freedom and make England games fun to watch.

Swango1980

Visit site
Grown men shouldn’t wear football shirts unless playing football.
And to have a name on the back is even worse 😬
And don't get me started with grown men who buy the full kit, yet never actually play football.

In fact, even if they play football, wearing the full kit is unacceptable. Shirt fine, but just get some generic shorts and socks please.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And don't get me started with grown men who buy the full kit, yet never actually play football.

In fact, even if they play football, wearing the full kit is unacceptable. Shirt fine, but just get some generic shorts and socks please.
Utter plonkers … like cyclists who wear Lycra or obese people in tight leggings..

I could go on …

PaulMdj

Visit site
As I’ve said before, never wanted him as manager, but hat’s off to him for giving us some great days, exceeded my expectation of what he’d achieve.

Don’t get the hype over Potter, achieved nothing with Brighton, achieving 41pts both seasons and failed miserably at Chelsea.

Gerrard, Lampard & even Dyche have better records than Potter at PL level and I don’t want any of those 3 either.

Howe or Carsley for me if we stay with an English manager.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
As I’ve said before, never wanted him as manager, but hat’s off to him for giving us some great days, exceeded my expectation of what he’d achieve.

Don’t get the hype over Potter, achieved nothing with Brighton, achieving 41pts both seasons and failed miserably at Chelsea.

Gerrard, Lampard & even Dyche have better records than Potter at PL level and I don’t want any of those 3 either.

Definitely not Gerrard or Lampard for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Not many have done well in the Chelsea job in the last few years. Even more of a poison chalice that United

PaulMdj

Visit site
Lee Carsley as interim manager? That usually means they get the job full time after a couple of wins 🤦🏻
To be fair to the FA we have a match in just over 8 weeks, we need someone to be preparing for the game and stops them knee jerking.

They had less than 3 weeks before the next game when Allardyce resigned and Southgate stood up.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or golfers who don't realise you can play golf in £10 shorts from Next and a £12 golf polo from Amazon. 🤔
I have been known to push the boundaries on clothing etiquette.. a polo shirt is a polo shirt irrespective of the canteen medals and grass stains on the knees or washed out Chinos with frayed pockets are still meeting the letter of the law

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not a bad way to work- that’s what Spain did , promote the guy that’s worked with the younger players
I don’t think it would be a bad thing but I would seriously look at the support staff. For me the tactical guys and in game support let Gareth down .. if they existed .. the other training guys should be kept because I would argue they are doing a good job and wholesale change is bad .. our weaknesses were in selection, tactics and player performance .. maybe a few other bits as well.. but this is the fine tuning to get to the top