The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Southgate for me will be remembered as a thoroughly decent, articulate fella. A safe pair of hands. But always too conservative to make the best of the wonderful talent he has had at his disposal.

The next manager, if chosen correctly, has the foundations to secure a decade of success. But the FA has to go for someone who can take the squad to that next level. More of the same would be a cardinal sin.

And before anyone asks, no, I don’t know who that will be. Nobody leaps out. Just as they didn’t when United were allegedly looking to replace ten Hag.

Eddie Howe would be ideal for all parties. Get the impression Newcastle want to appoint someone big but Howe has performed well so can't ditch him. Fa offers him job and Newcastle get paid off.

Always plays attacking football

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Eddie Howe would be ideal for all parties. Get the impression Newcastle want to appoint someone big but Howe has performed well so can't ditch him. Fa offers him job and Newcastle get paid off.

Always plays attacking football
I'm not sure he would go. He is unlikely to get a better club set up than Newcastle, the big 4 rarely appoint English managers now. Everything is lined up there for him, the club work with him, not against him, he is building the team up. In a few years, yes, but right now, I don't think he would take it.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Definitely not Gerrard or Lampard for me.
I would just get a consortium of posters from this forum, because what I've read over the last 3 weeks, we would win the next few Finals, mopping up everyone 6-0 in the early stages and beating the teams that are good 3-0 after going out scoring an early goal and building on this by banging in a couple more

PaulMdj

Visit site
I'm not sure he would go. He is unlikely to get a better club set up than Newcastle, the big 4 rarely appoint English managers now. Everything is lined up there for him, the club work with him, not against him, he is building the team up. In a few years, yes, but right now, I don't think he would take it.
Unless of course the owners want a “bigger” manager and he wants the England job.

That way it’s a win/win for the owners.🤷‍♂️

D

Deleted member 29109

I would just get a consortium of posters from this forum, because what I've read over the last 3 weeks, we would win the next few Finals, mopping up everyone 6-0 in the early stages and beating the teams that are good 3-0 after going out scoring an early goal and building on this by banging in a couple more
All England have to do is press or get the ball forward quickly and cross it to a striker in the box.

How difficult can it be?

D

Deleted member 29109

It doesn’t matter who the FA appoint. It will be the wrong person and the armchair experts will know better.

I’d like to see Bielsa or Emma Hayes.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tricky one. On the one hand, he has a great job and apparently would have to take a pay cut to join England. On the other hand, England manager must be a tough job for an Englishman to turn down. Especially for someone who never managed a cap in their playing days. He may see it as the pinnacle of his career, and as others mentioned, how much job security does he really have at Newcastle? After a season where they didn't improve upon the previous year, big money owners don't often show patience if he has a slow start to the new season. And the England job offer doesn't usually come twice.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Think Howe would do a good job , don’t really know about Potter , don’t think Lampard would be the worst choice

But I agree that the owners at Newcastle would want a “big name” in there

Maybe Southgate 😁

PaulMdj

Visit site
Think Howe would do a good job , don’t really know about Potter , don’t think Lampard would be the worst choice

But I agree that the owners at Newcastle would want a “big name” in there

Maybe Southgate 😁
He’s off to Lpool in Jan once Slot is sacked.😬

We’ll all know Lpool just love an ex-England manager.😇

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Today's news re England manager re fans who want him gone reminds me of that great Chinese curse
'Be careful what you wish for'

Massive respect for Gareth, a solid manager and hopefully as time passes his record will be remembered for what it was (very good) he gave England almost 8 years of solid management. Rather impressive to be even international manager for that long these days.

Time to part ways, thanks for the good times.

I'm sure the fans will get behind the new guy for the first 4 games of the world cup at least before turning.

simsini

Visit site
Greece won the Euros playing like Southgate does, but they had to play that way based on their players. England should be able to compete playing more expansive football without being terrified of the opposition. We need an attacking manager who will let the players express themselves freely.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So your opinion is more valid than anyone else here?

It's not just here though is it? Social media, the media, pundits (some of who never even played the game) all know better than the manager and slate them regardless.

It really is a poisoned chalice.

It's why when big Sam arrived I thought would be great. Our fans hated him and he literally doesn't care. Be great to have a manager who's like I know best sod you all.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Would probably cost too much to get him out of his contract.
Potter or Carsley wouldn’t cost anything.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not just here though is it? Social media, the media, pundits (some of who never even played the game) all know better than the manager and slate them regardless.

It really is a poisoned chalice.

It's why when big Sam arrived I thought would be great. Our fans hated him and he literally doesn't care. Be great to have a manager who's like I know best sod you all.

I kind of think that is exactly what Gareth thought. There has been lots of consistent opinion as to what he should do from "experts"/pundits as well as the fans. He didn't react and stuck to his guns.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I kind of think that is exactly what Gareth thought. There has been lots of consistent opinion as to what he should do from "experts"/pundits as well as the fans. He didn't react and stuck to his guns.

Thing is big Sam has that arrogance of a personality where as Gareth seemed like it prob got to him a bit.