The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Been reading a few articles about about the next stage

After each tournament some players are no longer required so who do you see missing out now

Think it was already decided beforehand that

Henderson
Maguire
Wilson
Phillips

Will no longer be called up

The ones who went

Walker
Dunk
Trippier
Shaw ?

Will I think miss the next squad

The ones that are questionable

Grealish and Sterling - good seasons can still see them around

Rashford - if someone can get him back playing then he is a great player

And then there is a conundrum-

Kane !

When looking at the players in and around the u21’s - England could have a very bright future

Branthwaite
Quansah
Lewis
Colwill
Elliot
Wharton
Jones
Delap

The Under 21’s won their Euros last year and many players are now regulars

So any other players that should be put out to international retirement and any other youngesters banging on the door

PaulMdj

Visit site
Been reading a few articles about about the next stage

After each tournament some players are no longer required so who do you see missing out now

Think it was already decided beforehand that

Henderson
Maguire
Wilson
Phillips

Will no longer be called up

The ones who went

Walker
Dunk
Trippier
Shaw ?

Will I think miss the next squad

The ones that are questionable

Grealish and Sterling - good seasons can still see them around

Rashford - if someone can get him back playing then he is a great player

And then there is a conundrum-

Kane !

When looking at the players in and around the u21’s - England could have a very bright future

Branthwaite
Quansah
Lewis
Colwill
Elliot
Wharton
Jones
Delap

The Under 21’s won their Euros last year and many players are now regulars

So any other players that should be put out to international retirement and any other youngesters banging on the door
Both those articles are about the World Cup in 2026, the next squad is in less than 2 months for waste of time cup, otherwise known as The Nations Cup.

It really comes down to whose in charge, if you look at our qualifying campaign for these Euros it didn’t finish until last Nov and quite a few of the Euros squad weren’t even on the radar then, ie, Palmer, Mainoo, Eze, Gordon etc

So it would be virtually impossible to guess who’s coming through for 2 years time.

I’d hope that even if Southgate is in charge he’d use it as an experiment to bring all these young players on.

As all the current squad will be playing next season and unless they retire from international football or are injured in the first few weeks of the season, 99% of them will probably be selected again.

Draw for 2026 WC isn’t until December this year.🤷‍♂️

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is what happens when you let 3rd rate teams in. It will get worse if they expand the number of teams.

The tone was set in the group stages.
You are going to be disappointed when the next World Cup takes place in Canada, Mexico and USA.
The number of teams will increase from 32 to 48, matches 64 to 104 and the tournament will last for 39 days!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You aren't convincing anyone that Walker is a bad defender, because you highlighted a few moments he might have done better. No player is perfect, but Walker would have been in most people's first 11, because he has proved himself time and time again.

Here is another great video, if you think they are useful at proving a point:

That’s very unfair. Defenders could learn a lot by watching how TAA puts his hand up when asking for offside.

Tashyboy

Visit site
For all his flaws arguably kept us in it several times and kept the scoreline respectable last night
And this Homer is a point that is lost on a few. If Pickford had a shocking game Spain would have battered England. They didn’t. If they had the finger would have been pointed at him. Instead Walker is now all of a sudden rammel. I don’t get it.

How anyone can point a finger at ANY player and I include TAA In that is beyond me. The under performance of that team/ squad is down to one person. And he never kicked a ball.

Tashyboy

Visit site
For all these comments about this player should play or that player should play, is this not just falling into the Southgate trap of being too rigid? We may all have our favourite 11 that differs from Southgate's, but would it not be better to basically not have a preferred starting 11 at all? England have a lot of good players, and could probably play a lot of different formations, so surely if England had a top coach, they could do things quite differently from one game to the next, and also make big changes in game as well.

I'd imagine if Pep was England manager, in one game he might choose to play with Kane up front, but ensure the players around him play to his strengths, and run in behind the defence. Then, in the next game, I could see him playing someone like Toney, trying to pin down one or 2 centre backs and giving space to Foden / Bellingham (or whoever). Then he could play Watkins for some pace to run in behind, or he could even play with no recognized CF in a game, but have someone like Palmer making himself a nuisance high up the pitch.

I think doing that will also get more players involved more frequently. It keeps players fresher during a tournament, and on their toes knowing they need to take their opportunities. It gives a lot more players an opportunity to play a bigger role for England, as I'm sure players like Gordon and Eze would get even more game time. Even TAA, as I'm sure England can play a formation that would really benefit from good distribution from the right.

Whereas, I'm not sure the answer is to just replace Kane and a couple of others, and suddenly England become a great team to watch.
And this is a very valid point, Haaland pulls in two players and helps create space. Kane could be still be out there on his own and would not find space.
Another thing I found odd yesterday. When Kane got booked yesterday for studs up. He moaned like the clappers. Has he forgot he got a soft penalty for a studs up challenge against him.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Without googling it, which prem league club had the most players at the Euros.

What no google - aaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

I'm guessing us? It is likely to be another slow start to the season as Pep gives them extra rest or at least delays pre-season. Gives the rest hope ;););)

PaulMdj

Visit site
Read it on the BBC Website this afternoon, City had 9, 1 Club had 10.

City players played the most minutes though.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Read it on the BBC Website this afternoon, City had 9, 1 Club had 10.

City players played the most minutes though.
Not sure which club the BBC said had ten

Man City

14 players: Kevin De Bruyne, Jeremy Doku (both Belgium), Josko Gvardiol, Mateo Kovacic (both Croatia) John Stones, Kyle Walker, Phil Foden (all England), Ruben Dias, Bernardo Silva, Joao Cancelo, Matheus Nunes (all Portugal), Nathan Ake (Netherlands), Rodri (Spain), Manuel Akanji (Switzerland).

They had a good chat about it last night

PaulMdj

Visit site
Not sure which club the BBC said had ten

Man City

14 players: Kevin De Bruyne, Jeremy Doku (both Belgium), Josko Gvardiol, Mateo Kovacic (both Croatia) John Stones, Kyle Walker, Phil Foden (all England), Ruben Dias, Bernardo Silva, Joao Cancelo, Matheus Nunes (all Portugal), Nathan Ake (Netherlands), Rodri (Spain), Manuel Akanji (Switzerland).

They had a good chat about it last night
Opta says different 🤷‍♂️