The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Look at the Clubs, look at Everton, as I said how many of them would be rated so highly fighting relegation for a few seasons.

Not sure about Simon & Mamardashvili being better tbh, good keepers, playing for decent Clubs
Simon is a different keeper for Spain. For Bilbao he is decidedly average and always looks more nervy than he does in internationals.

PaulMdj

Visit site
From your list above…

Pickford - great shot stopper but distribution was very, very poor. Teams on the receiving end of his long kicks are having a field day. Long kicks are for teams where the opposition aren’t great at controlling what’s coming at them, League 1 footie not international footie.

TAA - fullbacks playing high up the pitch get caught out. Walker did and so would TAA - he has history for it. Walker tracks back well, TAA doesn’t. Walker is 34, and a new RB is required. Jury is out for me but I don’t think TAA is either right or wrong. Trippier was brilliant at the last Euros, and has looked very good for Newcastle - should it him?

Stones & Geuhi - 90% ok with that but would like to see another CB coming through - not Harry M.

Shaw/Chilwell - Shaw, fine. Not convinced on Chilwell. Need to find another Chilwell.

Rice/Bellingham/Foden - early days for all 3 together. Could be a stunning midfield but they need some more game time together.

Saka - nailed on.
Kane/Palmer - the change couldn’t come at a better time. But who covers Palmer?
Gordon - fringe player. Needs some game time and, again, now is a good time to try him and maybe a couple of others.
No issue with any of that, but if you’re going to play Palmer, it’s not indtead of Kane, we need a No 9, Palmer isn’t the man to lead the line.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a valid point, but playing devil's advocate, if he was on the same level as the very best keepers, would he perhaps have got a move away from Everton?
He is happy where he is. It is a rare thing these days but whenever his name comes up for a mention, the word quickly comes out ' he is happy'. He is a Washington lad, family still there. Easy to get back to from Liverpool. Nice house, big money, all settled. Very underestimated thing in football, happiness and contentment.

Had we gone down, he would have moved. No question about that, he has to protect his England place, but we didn't.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
No issue with any of that, but if you’re going to play Palmer, it’s not indtead of Kane, we need a No 9, Palmer isn’t the man to lead the line.

How many of the teams at the Euros played with a genuine number 9? If it’s what’s needed, fine, but I think it needs looking at.

PaulMdj

Visit site
How many of the teams at the Euros played with a genuine number 9? If it’s what’s needed, fine, but I think it needs looking at.
Not meant to be rude or come across wrong.😇
Don’t care what other teams do, with players like Watkins and Toney we have players who could better replace Kane, if Palmer is to play, it would be instead of Foden/Saka/Bellingham etc.

D

Deleted member 29109

The whole tournament was poor.
This is what happens when you let 3rd rate teams in. It will get worse if they expand the number of teams.

The tone was set in the group stages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
From your list above…

Pickford - great shot stopper but distribution was very, very poor. Teams on the receiving end of his long kicks are having a field day. Long kicks are for teams where the opposition aren’t great at controlling what’s coming at them, League 1 footie not international footie.
When it comes to Pickford right now there isn’t a better option - a lot of the long kicks were imo down to a lack of options for him

Ramsdale isn’t playing week in week out , Trafford looks to have potential

Not sure whose else there is
TAA - fullbacks playing high up the pitch get caught out. Walker did and so would TAA - he has history for it. Walker tracks back well, TAA doesn’t. Walker is 34, and a new RB is required. Jury is out for me but I don’t think TAA is either right or wrong. Trippier was brilliant at the last Euros, and has looked very good for Newcastle - should it him?

Full backs for City and Liverpool are key and there will always be the chance they get caught high , but it’s weighing up the pros of them being high and contributing to the attack

It works well at those clubs because the CB’s and DM cover

If it’s a flat back four etc then Trippier - he is a solid full back
Stones & Geuhi - 90% ok with that but would like to see another CB coming through - not Harry M.

Think it’s an area that’s ok for England - behind those you have Konsa , Quansah and also Branthwaite coming through

Shaw/Chilwell - Shaw, fine. Not convinced on Chilwell. Need to find another Chilwell.

Think it’s an area that there seems to be a big hole - not sure who else is behind those two and both have injury issues
Rice/Bellingham/Foden - early days for all 3 together. Could be a stunning midfield but they need some more game time together.

Yeah and then you have cover with Mainoo , Gallgher, Maddison and Elliot in the future
Saka - nailed on.
Kane/Palmer - the change couldn’t come at a better time. But who covers Palmer?
Gordon - fringe player. Needs some game time and, again, now is a good time to try him and maybe a couple of others.

Along with Palmer- Rashford , Grealish , Watkins and Toney

Wide left again - get Rashford going again and he is a shoe in there

Swango1980

Visit site
For all these comments about this player should play or that player should play, is this not just falling into the Southgate trap of being too rigid? We may all have our favourite 11 that differs from Southgate's, but would it not be better to basically not have a preferred starting 11 at all? England have a lot of good players, and could probably play a lot of different formations, so surely if England had a top coach, they could do things quite differently from one game to the next, and also make big changes in game as well.

I'd imagine if Pep was England manager, in one game he might choose to play with Kane up front, but ensure the players around him play to his strengths, and run in behind the defence. Then, in the next game, I could see him playing someone like Toney, trying to pin down one or 2 centre backs and giving space to Foden / Bellingham (or whoever). Then he could play Watkins for some pace to run in behind, or he could even play with no recognized CF in a game, but have someone like Palmer making himself a nuisance high up the pitch.

I think doing that will also get more players involved more frequently. It keeps players fresher during a tournament, and on their toes knowing they need to take their opportunities. It gives a lot more players an opportunity to play a bigger role for England, as I'm sure players like Gordon and Eze would get even more game time. Even TAA, as I'm sure England can play a formation that would really benefit from good distribution from the right.

Whereas, I'm not sure the answer is to just replace Kane and a couple of others, and suddenly England become a great team to watch.

RichA

Visit site
Don’t care what other teams do, with players like Watkins and Toney we have players who could better replace Kane, if Palmer is to play, it would be instead of Foden/Saka/Bellingham etc.
Yep. English football needs a right time, right place goal hanger, just in case our midfield playmakers can't conjure up a hatful of goals every game.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just an observation about strikers , I would take the 3 top ones who were in form and fit.
I think historically other national sides have followed that trend.
I think Watkins and Toney were deserving of their call up for their performances in the league. I think they were under utilised but a lot of you didn’t have the confidence to drop Kane.. now you have accepted he was off form and can we forget this tosh about golden boots unless we divide by game time ?!?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Is Rashford a shoe in. Can he get it going again at United. What happens if he ETH doesn't get him playing well. Does he get a transfer elsewhere? Any which way I think at the moment he is a long way for being in the England picture

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For all these comments about this player should play or that player should play, is this not just falling into the Southgate trap of being too rigid? We may all have our favourite 11 that differs from Southgate's, but would it not be better to basically not have a preferred starting 11 at all? England have a lot of good players, and could probably play a lot of different formations, so surely if England had a top coach, they could do things quite differently from one game to the next, and also make big changes in game as well.

I'd imagine if Pep was England manager, in one game he might choose to play with Kane up front, but ensure the players around him play to his strengths, and run in behind the defence. Then, in the next game, I could see him playing someone like Toney, trying to pin down one or 2 centre backs and giving space to Foden / Bellingham (or whoever). Then he could play Watkins for some pace to run in behind, or he could even play with no recognized CF in a game, but have someone like Palmer making himself a nuisance high up the pitch.

I think doing that will also get more players involved more frequently. It keeps players fresher during a tournament, and on their toes knowing they need to take their opportunities. It gives a lot more players an opportunity to play a bigger role for England, as I'm sure players like Gordon and Eze would get even more game time. Even TAA, as I'm sure England can play a formation that would really benefit from good distribution from the right.

Whereas, I'm not sure the answer is to just replace Kane and a couple of others, and suddenly England become a great team to watch.
I don’t think would touch Kane with a barge pole .. all his strikers have to work hard.. one bad performance in front of Pep is a January sale

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

My point was is that the direction the game is going, i.e. big lumbering #9’s are not the answer now. Kane isn’t the fastest, and certainly wasn’t at the Euros. Other teams might still play with a target man but it’s been a far more mobile player with other players coming onto him quicker is support.

D

Deleted member 29109

Not sure what the Plastic Scousers is about.🤷‍♂️
Was going to make a point about them still crying about Liverpool players not being involved, despite them apparently not supporting England, then couldn’t be arsed but clearly didn’t delete the whole message.

Never mind.

We will soon be arguing about what the open should be called and whether there will be an * next the the name of the winner 🫣

PaulMdj

Visit site
Just an observation about strikers , I would take the 3 top ones who were in form and fit.
I think historically other national sides have followed that trend.
I think Watkins and Toney were deserving of their call up for their performances in the league. I think they were under utilised but a lot of you didn’t have the confidence to drop Kane.. now you have accepted he was off form and can we forget this tosh about golden boots unless we divide by game time ?!?
It really had nothing to do with not having confidence about dropping Kane, it’s simply a different opinion to yours.

I would of not dropped Kane at any point, yes, substitute him if required, but come September and the next England game, if he is fit he would start for me, this tournament hasn’t changed my mind about him being one of the top strikers in the world snd England’s best CF.