Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29109

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Kyle Walker may not have been great but TAA isn't a defender and would cost goals if played there. Also if we want to be a side passing from the back his distribution in the matches he played was shocking. There must younger options coming through who can get given a run out (isn't that the idea of friendlies) and to a degree the Nations Cup event

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
The video of the Slovakia goal shows two centre backs going for the same ball, neither winning it, leaving us completely exposed.

His positioning throughout the tournament was poor

Whether that’s done to moving around or lack of support from his CB or wide area as well as no support from someone sitting in the middle

But England were poor defensively down their right hand side with most of the danger and goals coming from there and they were poor offensively from the left hand side

For a team that were set up to be low block and solid they were exposed many times especially by runners getting in round the back and through a soft centre

It’s why there needs to be a mindset change and get the full backs higher to support on both wide areas and being more disciplined in the middle

Spain controlled the middle with Rodri being at his best but then his replacement just carrying on the role

If Rice wants to be in that company he needs to learn from Rodri
IMG_8238.jpeg

Also the team of Euros

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He plays for Dyche; there isn't a keeper in the league that spends more time hoofing it than he does. "He hit 968 long passes in the past Premier League season, 77 more than Luton goalkeeper Thomas Kaminski and over 200 more than any other player in the competition." (Skysports)

I do agree that there isn't an obvious alternative, but the importance of the role of the keeper cannot be overstated for teams that want to play out to beat the press (which is what we'd be doing in the Pep system to which my post was in response to). It's no coincidence that Klopp and Pep both dropped a serious wedge of cash on goalkeepers.

Pickford is a good keeper, no doubt, and I'm not knocking him. Suits a Southgate side very well, but if we wanted to be brilliant at playing out from the back, the ideal scenario would be to have a keeper that plays that way week in week out. It's not easy for any player to completely adapt how they normally play when moving from club to country.
At the moment, his saves outweigh his passing. The other keepers coming through have had a go and their passing does not outweigh their saves. He is safe for the time being. It needs someone else to come through who is strong in both departments but they are not there yet.

Swango1980

Visit site

The video doesn’t help him either

Also the goal against Switzerland his man getting around the back to get in front of him

He had a very poor tournament

England conceded 6 goals with 4 coming from his side and then the one playing the forward onside
You aren't convincing anyone that Walker is a bad defender, because you highlighted a few moments he might have done better. No player is perfect, but Walker would have been in most people's first 11, because he has proved himself time and time again.

Here is another great video, if you think they are useful at proving a point:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

The video doesn’t help him either

Also the goal against Switzerland his man getting around the back to get in front of him

He had a very poor tournament

England conceded 6 goals with 4 coming from his side and then the one playing the forward onside
Not a great video, TBH. In my opinion, only one of those goals was down to Walker - Spain's winning goal.

The first goal v Switz, not sure what we could have done there?? If he's being called out, then let's call out Guehi for Spain's winner last night.

Second goal - Slovakia - he was trying to cover two men and opted (rightly) to cover the man in his position. No comment about Stones being a statue, nor Guehi letting his man go.

Third goal v Spain - he was rightly tracking the man in the centre....doing a DM job...where was Rice? Joining in the three man party around Yamal.

Fourth goal v Spain - fair enough.

Fifth goal v Netherlands - not sure what he was supposed to do here? Covering for another Rice error.

I think he saved more than he allegedly gave away.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
His positioning throughout the tournament was poor

Whether that’s done to moving around or lack of support from his CB or wide area as well as no support from someone sitting in the middle

But England were poor defensively down their left hand side with most of the danger and goals coming from there and they were poor offensively from the left hand side

For a team that were set up to be low block and solid they were exposed many times especially by runners getting in round the back and through a soft centre

It’s why there needs to be a mindset change and get the full backs higher to support on both wide areas and being more disciplined in the middle

Spain controlled the middle with Rodri being at his best but then his replacement just carrying on the role

If Rice wants to be in that company he needs to learn from Rodri
And as many have said if Southgate carries on nothing will change and if we get a new manager it will be down to them to decide how they want to set up. Rice v Rodri isn't a fair comparison as Rice isn't the same quality. That may be another conundrum to solve going forward. What other options are out there? I can't understand why you want to keep highlighting the flaws. It is done and dusted and all hindsight.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
You aren't convincing anyone that Walker is a bad defender, because you highlighted a few moments he might have done better. No player is perfect, but Walker would have been in most people's first 11, because he has proved himself time and time again.

😂😂😂

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Guess we could put videos of every single player making a mistake the leads to goals 🙄

You can also add this as well

Swango1980

Visit site

Guess we could put videos of every single player making a mistake the leads to goals 🙄

You can also add this as well

I mean, you have the biggest blinkers of any fan I have ever heard of.

I won't bore everyone by responding of Kyle Walker videos of him defending like a world class right back. Because, regardless of what you dredge from youTube or Twitter, you will never convince anyone in here that TAA can defend. During nearly every Liverpool game, we have people in here come on and mock TAA defending abilities, because he makes howlers in what appears to be nearly every game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I mean, you have the biggest blinkers of any fan I have ever heard of.

I won't bore everyone by responding of Kyle Walker videos of him defending like a world class right back. Because, regardless of what you dredge from youTube or Twitter, you will never convince anyone in here that TAA can defend. During nearly every Liverpool game, we have people in here come on and mock TAA defending abilities, because he makes howlers in what appears to be nearly every game.
Not sure why the point is being made. Walker is a better defender than TAA. End of. It is simple red coloured glasses and no amount of twitter links or videos will change the fact TAA can't defend

PaulMdj

Visit site
He plays for Dyche; there isn't a keeper in the league that spends more time hoofing it than he does. "He hit 968 long passes in the past Premier League season, 77 more than Luton goalkeeper Thomas Kaminski and over 200 more than any other player in the competition." (Skysports)

I do agree that there isn't an obvious alternative, but the importance of the role of the keeper cannot be overstated for teams that want to play out to beat the press (which is what we'd be doing in the Pep system to which my post was in response to). It's no coincidence that Klopp and Pep both dropped a serious wedge of cash on goalkeepers.

Pickford is a good keeper, no doubt, and I'm not knocking him. Suits a Southgate side very well, but if we wanted to be brilliant at playing out from the back, the ideal scenario would be to have a keeper that plays that way week in week out. It's not easy for any player to completely adapt how they normally play when moving from club to country.
Sorry, but he’s played for Dyche for one and half seasons, he’s always kicked it long, long for Everton, long for England, since 2017 to be exact.

I totally agree his kicking upfield wasn’t as good in this tournament as normal, but some of that was frustration to me as a lot of times the midfield/defence lost the ball and the attacks were non-stop.

As, I think, Hobbit said before stats can be used in many ways and defensively Everton were near the top last season in the PL and had 2 Englishmen at Centre Back, best pairing in the Prem, but also not good enough for England imo.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At the moment, his saves outweigh his passing. The other keepers coming through have had a go and their passing does not outweigh their saves. He is safe for the time being. It needs someone else to come through who is strong in both departments but they are not there yet.

I don't disagree with that, but going back to where this started, having him as our keeper would be an impediment to playing pep ball. If you listed out the best goalkeepers in the world, he'd be well down the list. Clearly, England is somewhat under supplied in that area, given as you say, there isn't a credible alternative right now.