The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PaulMdj

Visit site
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ I think thereā€™s only Guehi this forum hasnā€™t blamed during this tournament, today its Walker & Pickford.šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

PaulMdj

Visit site
I don't disagree with that, but going back to where this started, having him as our keeper would be an impediment to playing pep ball. If you listed out the best goalkeepers in the world, he'd be well down the list. Clearly, England is somewhat under supplied in that area, given as you say, there isn't a credible alternative right now.
Serious question! Why is well down the list? Been to 2 Finals, a semi-final with his Country, named player of the season in a struggling side 3 out 4 of the last seasons.

Iā€™m really not sure many supposed top keepers would be rated so highly behind Evertonā€™s defence or have done more at international level.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry, but heā€™s played for Dyche for one and half seasons, heā€™s always kicked it long, long for Everton, long for England, since 2017 to be exact.

I totally agree his kicking upfield wasnā€™t as good in this tournament as normal, but some of that was frustration to me as a lot of times the midfield/defence lost the ball and the attacks were non-stop.

As, I think, Hobbit said before stats can be used in many ways and defensively Everton were near the top last season in the PL and had 2 Englishmen at Centre Back, best pairing in the Prem, but also not good enough for England imo.

You've lost me, Paul. I've no idea what you're apologising for or what point you're making? šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

My point was that if Pep were England boss, Pickford wouldn't be a suitable keeper for his style of play.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Serious question! Why is well down the list? Been to 2 Finals, a semi-final with his Country, named player of the season in a struggling side 3 out 4 of the last seasons.

Iā€™m really not sure many supposed top keepers would be rated so highly behind Evertonā€™s defence or have done more at international level.

My list would be (in no particular order but all ahead of Pickford):

Allison
Ederson
Courtois
Oblak
Martinez
ter Stegen
Donnarumma
Sommer
Simon
Maignan
Mamardashvili

Probably Raya and Neuer too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wow imagine people like you a Man Utd fans ā€œmockingā€ Liverpool players , Iā€™m just shocked šŸ™„

Howlers Every game šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ not like you to hyperbole

How about what Cafu says about him

What about Neville

Gary Neville expressed a light-hearted view on Trent Alexander-Arnoldā€™s performance after the 1-1 draw.

The former England defender told ITV: ā€œWeā€™ll look back in 5-10 years and laugh how we couldnā€™t get Trent Alexander-Arnold in the teamā€

ā€œAlexander-Arnold is, rightly and wrongly, persistently berated by fans and pundits alike for his inability to defend. That said, the statistics show that he had racked up the most clearances and interceptions per game out of the quartet with 1.8 and 1.1, respectively. His ball recovery tally is also the highest of the bunch, with him winning the ball back 7.6 times per match. ā€
I'm not a United fan and I happen to agree with the others that TAA isn't an international defender no matter how many links you put up (and can't help noticing a lot are Liverpool biased). Here's one from a Liverpool legend saying he isn't good enough https://www.skysports.com/football/...good-enough-he-needs-competition-at-liverpool

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Allison
Ederson
Courtois
Oblak
Martinez
ter Stegen
Donnarumma
Sommer
Simon
Maignan
Mamardashvili

Probably Raya and Neuer too.

Pickford has done well for England - itā€™s hard to drop him etc , never let them down

But agree on your list

Pickford is a bit like Mignolet when we had him - a decent gk , good shot stopper but I donā€™t think he is at the level of the very best

But he is the best English GK

PaulMdj

Visit site
You've lost me, Paul. I've no idea what you're apologising for or what point you're making? šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

My point was that if Pep were England boss, Pickford wouldn't be a suitable keeper for his style of play.
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚, I was making the point his long kicking isnā€™t down to Dyche, he was kicking it long way before Dyche took over, Dyche is simply utilising one of Pickfords strengths.

Swango1980

Visit site
Kick off Saka straight to Pickford.
Big hump upfield just giving the ball to Spain.
Thatā€™s got to come from the coaches and manager.
What other team kicks off like that ?
Just not good enough.
I can see it being used as a tactic right from the start, making the opposition defend an aerial ball right from the start, and hoping to maybe catch them cold right from the beginning. Although, it happened frequently after kick off it seemed, which again must be a demand from the coaches. But, it was frustrating, because it seemed clear that Kane was never going to win the ball. Knowing that Kane was simply not fit, and this was a tactic asked for by Southgate, then having Toney as the striker would surely have made a lot more sense?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚, I was making the point his long kicking isnā€™t down to Dyche, he was kicking it long way before Dyche took over, Dyche is simply utilising one of Pickfords strengths.

Ah yes! Thanks, that makes sense.

And yes, I think that's a fair point, and as I said earlier, I think he should suit a Southgate side very well (and he has, I would say?).

To be fair to Dyche though, I reckon he'd have Allison playing just as many long balls if he was the Everton keeper! I don't think he took up hoofing as his favoured tactic just because Pickford is good at it!

Swango1980

Visit site
I actually really like Pickford as a goalkeeper. I've said before, but he just seems to have a personality that means he is never phased playing under pressure. Playing under the spot light for England. Whereas plenty of other goalkeepers have looked like they want the ground to swallow them up at times. I really like Pickford's passion as well, not to mention I think he is a very good goalkeeper.

Sure, maybe if Ederson or Allison were English, they'd beat Pickford to the No. 1 jersey. But, they aren't. To me, there isn't even a question right now who England's No. 1 should be, it is Pickford all day long.

PaulMdj

Visit site

Allison -Liverpool
Ederson - City
Courtois - RM
Oblak - Atletico
Martinez - Villa
ter Stegen - Barca
Donnarumma - PSG
Sommer - Inter Milan
Simon -
Maignan - AC Milan
Mamardashvili -

Probably Raya and Neuer too. Arsenal & Bayern
Look at the Clubs, look at Everton, as I said how many of them would be rated so highly fighting relegation for a few seasons.

Not sure about Simon & Mamardashvili being better tbh, good keepers, playing for decent Clubs

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Look at the Clubs, look at Everton, as I said how many of them would be rated so highly fighting relegation for a few seasons.

Not sure about Simon & Mamardashvili being better tbh, good keepers, playing for decent Clubs

It's a valid point, but playing devil's advocate, if he was on the same level as the very best keepers, would he perhaps have got a move away from Everton?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Pickford seems to be the best we have. Henderson hasn't played enough big games to fill me with any confidence and Ramsdale hasn't played much for Arsenal last season so again would seem to be lacking even if both wee better with their distribution

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Kick off Saka straight to Pickford.
Big hump upfield just giving the ball to Spain.
Thatā€™s got to come from the coaches and manager.
What other team kicks off like that ?
Just not good enough.

Made my blood boil. Start of every game. Not even good and accurate long hoofs, made worse by a CF who couldn't manage to get off the ground and compete for a single header.

PaulMdj

Visit site
It's a valid point, but playing devil's advocate, if he was on the same level as the very best keepers, would he perhaps have got a move away from Everton?
He certainly deserves a move, but has been very loyal to us and happily signed contract extensions. Maybe he knows how much heā€™s loved by the fans.šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Pickford

TAA
Stones
Guehi
Shaw/Chilwell

Rice
Bellingham
Foden

Saka
Kane/Palmer
Gordon

From your list aboveā€¦

Pickford - great shot stopper but distribution was very, very poor. Teams on the receiving end of his long kicks are having a field day. Long kicks are for teams where the opposition arenā€™t great at controlling whatā€™s coming at them, League 1 footie not international footie.

TAA - fullbacks playing high up the pitch get caught out. Walker did and so would TAA - he has history for it. Walker tracks back well, TAA doesnā€™t. Walker is 34, and a new RB is required. Jury is out for me but I donā€™t think TAA is either right or wrong. Trippier was brilliant at the last Euros, and has looked very good for Newcastle - should it him?

Stones & Geuhi - 90% ok with that but would like to see another CB coming through - not Harry M.

Shaw/Chilwell - Shaw, fine. Not convinced on Chilwell. Need to find another Chilwell.

Rice/Bellingham/Foden - early days for all 3 together. Could be a stunning midfield but they need some more game time together.

Saka - nailed on.
Kane/Palmer - the change couldnā€™t come at a better time. But who covers Palmer?
Gordon - fringe player. Needs some game time and, again, now is a good time to try him and maybe a couple of others.

PaulMdj

Visit site
For the past few seasons the talk around Pickford has always been ā€œgood keeper, but waiting for him to make a mistakeā€šŸ™„ now itā€™s his ability with his feet.

In the 7 years heā€™s been No1, nobody has seriously challenged him, despite being hyped up as better.

P.S. Walker, imo, was one of our best players at the Euros along with the other defenders, nobody better at RB. he was caught wanting yesterday with the first goal imo, but as Iā€™ve said, please name me a player whoā€™s never made a mistake.