The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I honestly do not know a single English person not rooting for England.

From your link…

“It (read this 3 times and cannot really work out what IT is) is an establishment which has worked against the interests of the city for decades, and for many, the national team represents that.”

Is a truly pathetic, self pitying whine.

And you Phil are not even from Liverpool. You served in the Royal Air Force for goodness sake! Are you sure you’re not trying to be anti-English just to validate yourself as a Liverpool fan?

Thank you for proving the point

Sorry I’m not sure what my serving in the military has to do with the England football team and someone not supporting the England football team doesn’t mean they are “anti English” - I support the England - Rugby , cricket, hockey teams

a football team is not the beacon for someone patriotism and “London based” England fans need to realise that

4LEX

Visit site
I know plenty that don’t support the England football team despite being English

The England football team become very tribal during the late 90’s and into the 00’s
- Chelsea or London based fans slagging off Gerrard etc because he was playing for Liverpool , the media circus with the Beckham era and also a total disconnect from the team that was London centric

And add in what happened in the late 80’s and a certain ex PM etc

It will always be the club first

I don’t “support” any national team hence not being bothered either way about England

Man Utd players got way more abuse than Gerrard ever did and you don't hear any of the same nonsense from their fans. The England team from 96-2002 had loads of northern players or northern based players in it. Fowler, McManaman, the Neville's, Butt, Scholes, Batty, Becks, Seaman, Shearer etc. It wasn't a London side.

Certain elements of Liverpool's support view themselves as different. I put it down to attention seeking from a minority that tarnishes the decent Liverpool fans.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Man Utd players got way more abuse than Gerrard ever did and you don't hear any of the same nonsense from their fans. The England team from 96-2002 had loads of northern players or northern based players in it. Fowler, McManaman, the Neville's, Butt, Scholes, Batty, Becks, Seaman, Shearer etc. It wasn't a London side.

Certain elements of Liverpool's support view themselves as different. I put it down to attention seeking from a minority that tarnishes the decent Liverpool fans.

Why are people so bothered if someone supports England or not - it’s not compulsory

4LEX

Visit site
Yeah, he's frustrating. He needs to decide, he can either be a world class holding midfielder, maybe second only to Rodri - or just a pretty good box-to-box player. But if he chooses to focus on holding I think his career is all set. Top teams are always crying out for a player like that.

He had a great season for Arsenal playing a more box to box role. Clearly stepped his game up a level or two from West Ham. Unfortunately he has technical limitations that will stop him reaching the level of a Rodri, whatever position he plays. His best role is box to box as he's a physical beast, high levels of fitness, decent tackler and strikes the ball very cleanly. His passing is a bit basic and he's not great at beating the press, so you wouldn't want him sitting infront of the defence full time. He's a leader and captain material, everything you want in a modern midfielder. He had a few iffy games at the start but that was down to the set up more than him IMO.

Compare with Mainoo it's clear he'll never be a holding midfielder either, he's too good going forward. He's also a box to box player except his qualities are more technical and he's better on the ball.

Rice and Mainoo together is quite an attacking set up, which sees Rice doing more sitting. It works a lot better in a back three that we've evolved into during the last few games.

4LEX

Visit site
Why are people so bothered if someone supports England or not - it’s not compulsory

I just find it weird to be honest. Why would you support England in cricket but not football? There's more southern based elitism in cricket than football by about a million miles! You can do what you want but the reasoning you gave makes no sense.

You talk about the people of Liverpool feeling downtrodden and all that stuff, yet towns and cities up north where more jobs and industries were destroyed don't have that outlook.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I know plenty that don’t support the England football team despite being English

The England football team become very tribal during the late 90’s and into the 00’s
- Chelsea or London based fans slagging off Gerrard etc because he was playing for Liverpool , the media circus with the Beckham era and also a total disconnect from the team that was London centric

And add in what happened in the late 80’s and a certain ex PM etc

It will always be the club first

I don’t “support” any national team hence not being bothered either way about England

Wow!!!!!
That’s hilarious,no scouser would ever use that excuse 😂😂

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I honestly do not know a single English person not rooting for England.

From your link…

“It (read this 3 times and cannot really work out what IT is) is an establishment which has worked against the interests of the city for decades, and for many, the national team represents that.”

Is a truly pathetic, self pitying whine.

And you Phil are not even from Liverpool. You served in the Royal Air Force for goodness sake! Are you sure you’re not trying to be anti-English just to validate yourself as a Liverpool fan?
Spot on 👍🏻

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I just find it weird to be honest. Why would you support England in cricket but not football? There's more southern based elitism in cricket than football by about a million miles! You can do what you want but the reasoning you gave makes no sense.

You talk about the people of Liverpool feeling downtrodden and all that stuff, yet towns and cities up north where more jobs and industries were destroyed don't have that outlook.

I find it weird how some get so wound up about it tbh - it’s a sports team at the end of the day , it’s not a requirement for a passport - everything surrounding the England team is a complete circus , it’s the worst thing about tournaments.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thank you for proving the point

Sorry I’m not sure what my serving in the military has to do with the England football team and someone not supporting the England football team doesn’t mean they are “anti English” - I support the England - Rugby , cricket, hockey teams

a football team is not the beacon for someone patriotism and “London based” England fans need to realise that
I assume when you signed up you took an oath of allegiance to the Queen? I also assumed it would have given you a little bit of patriotism to you queen and country?

You’re almost trying too hard to be a scouser…

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I’m trying to understand a man’s motivation for not supporting his country in a sporting event. Seems bizarre… almost concocted.

It’s a sports team - there is no requirement to support a team , I don’t support any national team , half my family is Irish - but I don’t also support them

Why should it bother you - all that should matter is who you want to support

PaulMdj

Visit site

There has never been another town or city that a government minister suggesting putting it into a managed decline, add in the cover up over Hillsborough from the top and you have the main reasons a lot of Scousers are against the establishment.

The majority of Scousers are also fully behind the England team.

The Scouse Not English is a Lpool fans thing.

As for people saying they don’t know any other Englishmen who don’t want England to win, they need to get out more, there are quite a few in the North East who really have no interest in football and don’t care if England win or not.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I assume when you signed up you took an oath of allegiance to the Queen? I also assumed it would have given you a little bit of patriotism to you queen and country?

You’re almost trying too hard to be a scouser…
I took an oath of allegiance to the Queen when joining the British Army, I hope Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland lose every game they play! Or are you saying I should support all 4?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Think it’s more the self pity.
The government has 💩on most of the country.
My Dad was a miner during the miners strike.
Why just the national football team then?
Why not cricket or hockey?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
It’s a sports team - there is no requirement to support a team , I don’t support any national team , half my family is Irish - but I don’t also support them

Why should it bother you - all that should matter is who you want to support
It’s strange is all… I can watch the Olympics and will happily just support GB in every tin pot past time they are competing in simply because of patriotism.

You are a keen observer of football, it should follow that you would want England to win.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
It’s strange is all… I can watch the Olympics and will happily just support GB in every tin pot past time they are competing in simply because of patriotism.

You are a keen observer of football, it should follow that you would want England to win.
You are assigning patriotism to a sports team - that’s not how it works

When it comes to internationals I’m not bothered who wins as long as it’s a good match