The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Pin-seeker

Visit site
But he wasn't .

He didn't play in '86 until coming on as a late sub in the QF defeat by Argentina.

His contribution at the '88 Euros was similarly (not) worthy of praise. TBF every player was pretty dire in that tournament.

In '90 England struggled to get out of their group and at one stage it looked like lots were going to be needed to separate the teams. None of the team played well. The only decent game we played was against Cameroon and we nearly blew that one.
Just shows how nostalgia plays a big part when talking about players from the past.

4LEX

Visit site
We were really good in the first half, played some excellent football and tore Ireland to pieces. Gordon while being wasteful, showed what having a winger with pace and width can do. He created space and was key to a lot of the good football, just a shame his finishing was woeful. Kane looked like he was running on treacle and snatching at shots again. Rice is much better when he's not simply sitting back, he's so much better as an all action midfielder. The trouble is we've got no one who can sit and protect the defence as Mainoo also likes to get forward.

Second half was as if Southgate was in charge, terrible stuff. We were playing one of the worst teams in Europe and 2-0 is a pretty disappointing scoreline. You don't often get many chances to humilate local rivals, so not to take it was a shame. Maybe the manager being Irish decided to take it easy? I don't want Carsley near the job full time as he's an 'academy coach' and unproven at the highest level. The poor man's Southgate. If we're going to go for a manager from abroad, we should go for the best. Sadly I know how the FA operate and a few wins against easy opposition will be enough for them to save money and go for the easy option.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
We were really good in the first half, played some excellent football and tore Ireland to pieces. Gordon while being wasteful, showed what having a winger with pace and width can do. He created space and was key to a lot of the good football, just a shame his finishing was woeful. Kane looked like he was running on treacle and snatching at shots again. Rice is much better when he's not simply sitting back, he's so much better as an all action midfielder. The trouble is we've got no one who can sit and protect the defence as Mainoo also likes to get forward.

Second half was as if Southgate was in charge, terrible stuff. We were playing one of the worst teams in Europe and 2-0 is a pretty disappointing scoreline. You don't often get many chances to humilate local rivals, so not to take it was a shame. Maybe the manager being Irish decided to take it easy? I don't want Carsley near the job full time as he's an 'academy coach' and unproven at the highest level. The poor man's Southgate. If we're going to go for a manager from abroad, we should go for the best. Sadly I know how the FA operate and a few wins against easy opposition will be enough for them to save money and go for the easy option.
Watching Kane last night was at times painful. Apparently Pep when he had the chance for Messi at City, turned it down. He could not play a high pressing game anymore. Neither can Kane, I said the same during the Euros and the same yesterday. He plods along to a player or keeper so they can clear the ball.Theres no urgency for a 10 yd sprint. Defenders and keepers have all the time in the world to play a pass.
There was plenty to be positive about yesterday, But it is time for a change. Especially up front.

Last edited:

4LEX

Visit site
Watching Kane last night was at times painful. Apparently Pep when he had the chance for Messi at City, turned it down. He could not play a high pressing game anymore. Neither can Kane, I said the same during the Euros and the same yesterday. He plods along to a player or keeper so they can clear the ball.Theres no urgency for a 10 yd sprint. Defenders and keepers have all the time in the world to play a pass.
There was plenty to be positive about yesterday, But it is time for a change. Especially up front.

I think there's major issues to address with the team if we want to win the World Cup.

Kane can't press and his pace has gone. Moving to Bayern was a poor move as he's got used to playing at a lower level and is in the comfort zone. He's still got a lot to offer but it's in the number 10 position, where he can drop deep and link play. The big issue with that is our two best players in Foden and Bellingham operate in the same role. It's going to take a proper manager to make tough decisions and balance the side out, which I don't think Carsley is capable of. I don't think there's anyone that can really replace Kane at his best, Watkins is a very good player but he's no peak Kane.

I feel our best years have been wasted by Southgate and we're going to head back to trying to cram big names into the team. Due to the low level of other top sides and our quality we can still do well, but it's going to involve a fair bit of luck.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I think there's major issues to address with the team if we want to win the World Cup.

Kane can't press and his pace has gone. Moving to Bayern was a poor move as he's got used to playing at a lower level and is in the comfort zone. He's still got a lot to offer but it's in the number 10 position, where he can drop deep and link play. The big issue with that is our two best players in Foden and Bellingham operate in the same role. It's going to take a proper manager to make tough decisions and balance the side out, which I don't think Carsley is capable of. I don't think there's anyone that can really replace Kane at his best, Watkins is a very good player but he's no peak Kane.

I feel our best years have been wasted by Southgate and we're going to head back to trying to cram big names into the team. Due to the low level of other top sides and our quality we can still do well, but it's going to involve a fair bit of luck.
You maybe correct or completely wrong, let’s give Carsley a chance for the few match’s he’s in charge.

I certainly don’t think he’s going to have any issues dealing with ego’s.

The 1st half last night (with a weakened team) was as good as anything we’d seen in Southgate’s 8 years, rather than expecting some high profile foreigner to come in and change it overnight.

We’ve tried that and it came with limited success.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You maybe correct or completely wrong, let’s give Carsley a chance for the few match’s he’s in charge.

I certainly don’t think he’s going to have any issues dealing with ego’s.

The 1st half last night (with a weakened team) was as good as anything we’d seen in Southgate’s 8 years, rather than expecting some high profile foreigner to come in and change it overnight.

We’ve tried that and it came with limited success.
This all day long. 👍

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Interesting reading

In all, 113 different score lines have been achieved in more than 135 years of league football (when considering, for example, winning 12-2 being different from losing 2-12). Before the start of the 2024/25 season, the following clubs have achieved the most of these score lines:

Winning 1-0 (33,957 matches): 442 times - Burnley
Winning 2-0 (24,262 matches): 382 times - Liverpool
Winning 2-1 (30,503 matches): 418 times - Sheffield United
Winning 3-0 (12,947 matches): 227 times - Liverpool
Winning 3-1 (15,320 matches): 253 times - Manchester City
Winning 3-2 (9,525 matches): 158 times - Manchester United
Winning 4-0 (5,614 matches): 131 times - Liverpool
Winning 4-1 (6,555 matches): 117 times - Arsenal
Winning 4-2 (3,888 matches): 75 times - Manchester City
Winning 4-3 (1,671 matches): 32 times - Liverpool
Winning 5-0 (2,338 matches): 59 times - Manchester United
Winning 5-1 (2,533 matches): 54 times - Manchester City
Winning 5-2 (1,573 matches): 33 times - Everton
Winning 5-3 (608 matches): 15 times - Arsenal, Sheffield United, Wolverhampton Wanderers
Winning 5-4 (205 matches): eight times - Leicester City
Winning 6-0 (791 matches): 20 times - Liverpool
Winning 6-1 (964 matches): 22 times - Manchester United
Winning 6-2 (515 matches): 15 times - Aston Villa
Winning 6-3 (212 matches): eight times - West Bromwich Albion
Winning 6-4 (68 matches): five times - Plymouth Argyle, Wolverhampton Wanderers
Winning 6-5 (17 matches): two times - Grimsby Town
Winning 7-0 (292 matches): eight times - Arsenal, Fulham
Winning 7-1 (341 matches): 12 times - Aston Villa
Winning 7-2 (168 matches): seven times - Newcastle United, Sunderland
Winning 7-3 (71 matches): four times - Stockport County
Winning 7-4 (29 matches): three times - Liverpool, Watford
Winning 7-5 (seven matches): two times - Blackburn Rovers
Winning 7-6 (one match): one time - Charlton Athletic
Winning 8-0 (103 matches): six times - Arsenal
Winning 8-1 (94 matches): five times - Wolverhampton Wanderers
Winning 8-2 (49 matches): three times - Chester City
Winning 8-3 (19 matches): two times - Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Sheffield United
Winning 8-4 (five matches): one time - Accrington Stanley, Barnsley, Blackpool, Everton, Leicester City
Winning 8-5 (three matches): one time - Burton Swifts, Derby County, Stockport County
Winning 9-0 (37 matches): four times - Manchester United
Winning 9-1 (34 matches): three times - Blackburn Rovers, Wolverhampton Wanderers
Winning 9-2 (25 matches): two times - Mansfield Town, Middlesbrough, Nottingham Forest
Winning 9-3 (10 matches): one time - Brighton & Hove Albion, Burnley, Darwen, Derby County, Everton, Hartlepool United, Luton Town, Manchester City, Southampton, Tottenham Hotspur
Winning 9-4 (two matches): one time - Bristol City, Gillingham
Winning 10-0 (16 matches): two times - Aston Villa, Sheffield United
Winning 10-1 (11 matches): one time - Birmingham City, Fulham, Gateshead, Hartlepool United, Huddersfield Town, Hull City, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Wrexham
Winning 10-2 (six matches): one time - Birmingham City, Darwen, Fulham, Luton Town, Norwich City, Reading
Winning 10-3 (three matches): one time - Hull City, Middlesbrough, Stoke City
Winning 10-4 (one match): one time - Tottenham Hotspur
Winning 11-0 (one match): one time - Oldham Athletic
Winning 11-1 (seven matches): one time - Aston Villa, Birmingham City, Bradford City, Hull City, Lincoln City, Notts County, Tranmere Rovers
Winning 11-2 (two matches): one time - Oldham Athletic, Sheffield United
Winning 11-3 (one match): one time - Manchester City
Winning 12-0 (eight matches): two times - Birmingham City
Winning 12-1 (one match): one time - Barrow
Winning 12-2 (one match): one time - Aston Villa
Winning 13-0 (two matches): one time - Newcastle United, Stockport County
Winning 13-4 (one match): one time - Tranmere Rovers

Drawing 0-0 (14,992 matches): 397 times - Preston North End
Drawing 1-1 (24,161 matches): 624 times - Nottingham Forest
Drawing 2-2 (10,715 matches): 298 times - Leicester City
Drawing 3-3 (2,336 matches): 72 times - Wolverhampton Wanderers
Drawing 4-4 (321 matches): 14 times - Tottenham Hotspur
Drawing 5-5 (39 matches): three times - Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Grimsby Town, West Ham United
Drawing 6-6 (two matches): one time - Arsenal, Charlton Athletic, Leicester City, Middlesbrough

Losing 0-1 (33,957 matches): 461 times - Birmingham City
Losing 0-2 (24,262 matches): 339 times - Port Vale
Losing 0-3 (12,947 matches): 183 times - Leyton Orient
Losing 0-4 (5,614 matches): 81 times - Lincoln City
Losing 0-5 (2,338 matches): 38 times - Burnley
Losing 0-6 (791 matches): 18 times - Notts County
Losing 0-7 (292 matches): 10 times - Barnsley
Losing 0-8 (103 matches): four times - Birmingham City, Nottingham Forest, Sunderland, Tranmere Rovers
Losing 0-9 (37 matches): three times - Darwen
Losing 0-10 (16 matches): three times - Darwen
Losing 0-11 (one match): one time - Southport
Losing 0-12 (eight matches): two times - Walsall
Losing 0-13 (two matches): one time - Halifax Town, Newport County
Losing 1-2 (30,503 matches): 408 times - Notts County
Losing 1-3 (15,320 matches): 212 times - Notts County
Losing 1-4 (6,555 matches): 102 times - Grimsby Town
Losing 1-5 (2,533 matches): 52 times - Notts County
Losing 1-6 (964 matches): 20 times - Crewe Alexandra
Losing 1-7 (341 matches): eight times - Birmingham City, Burnley, Derby County, Port Vale
Losing 1-8 (94 matches): four times - West Bromwich Albion
Losing 1-9 (34 matches): three times - Notts County
Losing 1-10 (11 matches): two times - Blackpool
Losing 1-11 (seven matches): one time - Carlisle United, Charlton Athletic, Crewe Alexandra, Durham City, Glossop, Newport County, Rotherham United
Losing 1-12 (one match): one time - Gateshead
Losing 2-3 (9,525 matches): 144 times - Wolverhampton Wanderers
Losing 2-4 (3,888 matches): 65 times - Sheffield Wednesday
Losing 2-5 (1,573 matches): 29 times - Blackburn Rovers
Losing 2-6 (515 matches): 13 times - Leicester City
Losing 2-7 (168 matches): eight times - York City
Losing 2-8 (49 matches): four times - Leicester City
Losing 2-9 (25 matches): two times - Lincoln City
Losing 2-10 (six matches): two times - Torquay United
Losing 2-11 (two matches): one time - Cardiff City, Chester City
Losing 2-12 (one match): one time - Accrington
Losing 3-4 (1,671 matches): 32 times - Bolton Wanderers
Losing 3-5 (608 matches): 16 times - Middlesbrough
Losing 3-6 (212 matches): nine times - Cardiff City
Losing 3-7 (71 matches): four times - Darlington, Everton
Losing 3-8 (19 matches): two times - Burnley, Leicester City
Losing 3-9 (10 matches): one time - Lincoln City, Loughborough, Port Vale, Sheffield Wednesday, Stoke City, Swindon Town, Tranmere Rovers, Walsall, West Bromwich Albion, Wolverhampton Wanderers
Losing 3-10 (three matches): one time - Sheffield United, West Bromwich Albion, Wolverhampton Wanderers
Losing 3-11 (one match): one time - Lincoln City
Losing 4-5 (205 matches): five times - Arsenal, Sheffield Wednesday, Stockport County, West Ham United
Losing 4-6 (68 matches): three times - Derby County, Preston North End
Losing 4-7 (29 matches): two times - Ashington, Gillingham, Manchester United, Portsmouth, Swansea City
Losing 4-8 (five matches): one time - Charlton Athletic, Fulham, Lincoln City, Manchester City, Plymouth Argyle
Losing 4-9 (two matches): one time - Exeter City, Gillingham
Losing 4-10 (one match): one time - Everton
Losing 4-13 (one match): one time - Oldham Athletic
Losing 5-6 (17 matches): two times - Crewe Alexandra, Newcastle United, Sunderland
Losing 5-7 (seven matches): one time - Aston Villa, Birmingham City, Mansfield Town, Millwall, Reading, Sheffield United, Tottenham Hotspur
Losing 5-8 (three matches): one time - Blackburn Rovers, Chester City, Walsall
Losing 6-7 (one match): one time - Huddersfield Town

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good to see Carsley not afraid to make a couple of changes.👏👏

If I was arsenal I'd be fuming Saka has started both games when replacements are available

Do we really need to see Kane again and again? Are we just going to reward him with getting to Rooney's caps before we say thanks for your service

Pin-seeker

Visit site
If I was arsenal I'd be fuming Saka has started both games when replacements are available

Do we really need to see Kane again and again? Are we just going to reward him with getting to Rooney's caps before we say thanks for your service
Really cant understand why he’s started tonight.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
If GS was still the manager I guess there would be plenty sticking the boot in (probably myself included) about our inability to break down a well organised defensive minded team.

PaulMdj

Visit site

It’s not a friendly, he was never going to make loads of changes and should Everton, Lpool, City, Bayern, Newcastle etc be any less fuming that their players have started both games? Every position has replacements available!

Kane starts and captains because he’s the best we’ve got and he’s World Class.