The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But you have understood that the opposition’s defensive and midfield lines are compressed and high up the field ? .. it’s your CF that creates the separation.. and he isn’t, which is why all your attacking midfielders don’t have space or are closed down fast.
Look across at the other teams that score, they create the separation early on with some well timed runs and balls over the top. Apart from the Spanish but they move the ball quickly through each other compensating- we don’t move it quickly enough nor do our wingers or speed men offer an out let like to 2 Spanish youngsters

Exactly this for me. We need the centre forward to be looking to run in behind the defence, or at least giving the option for that to happen. I can't think of one occasion when Kane has looked for that type of ball to be played. I know people will argue that isn't Kane's game but if the defence know that no-one is going to run in behind them they can push up a lot further and compress the game. With Watkins or Toney giving the option to run in behind the opposition defence will sit deeper and give more space to our midfield.

PaulMdj

Visit site
But you have understood that the opposition’s defensive and midfield lines are compressed and high up the field ? .. it’s your CF that creates the separation.. and he isn’t, which is why all your attacking midfielders don’t have space or are closed down fast.
Look across at the other teams that score, they create the separation early on with some well timed runs and balls over the top. Apart from the Spanish but they move the ball quickly through each other compensating- we don’t move it quickly enough nor do our wingers or speed men offer an out let like to 2 Spanish youngsters
So as Clubchamp stated, the issue is the tactics and Southgate, not Kane.

We can see it, the opposition can see it, but for some reason, known only to Southgate, he isn’t going to change it.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lineker leading calls for Frank Lampard to be the next England manager - because he has done well as a pundit for the BBC! Be careful what you wish for by wanting Southgate out.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lineker leading calls for Frank Lampard to be the next England manager - because he has done well as a pundit for the BBC! Be careful what you wish for by wanting Southgate out.
I must admit, while he wouldn't be my favourite candidate, I don't think he's as bad as people make out. He did well to begin with at Chelsea under the transfer ban and brought some youth players through. Struggled when the ban was lifted and they perhaps went a bit overboard bringing players in - just standard Chelsea things. International and club management are different beasts as well.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I must admit, while he wouldn't be my favourite candidate, I don't think he's as bad as people make out. He did well to begin with at Chelsea under the transfer ban and brought some youth players through. Struggled when the ban was lifted and they perhaps went a bit overboard bringing players in - just standard Chelsea things. International and club management are different beasts as well.
Thing is international management is so different especially not working with the players every day. I don't know if he would have the tactical nous at that level. Definitely wouldn't be one of my top three choices

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thing is international management is so different especially not working with the players every day. I don't know if he would have the tactical nous at that level. Definitely wouldn't be one of my top three choices
All honesty I don't think he'd be any worse than Southgate. Had he really achieved any more in management than Lampard has? Granted it probably wouldn't be a massive improvement either.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Lampard?

Chelsea manager, having inherited a decent squad managed some decent results but failed miserably thereafter.
Derby County, failed miserably.
Everton, failed miserably.
Chelsea, a second bite of the cherry and a chance to redeem himself. Failed miserably.

Stunning footballer but typically is assumed would make a good manager. NOoooo!

Some great players coming through for England, and they need a top manager. Not Lampard.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Lampard as with a number of ex players didn’t give themselves the time to learn management first , develop their management skills - it’s very rare for it to work when doing it on the job

If he had stayed at Derby longer then I suspect he would have done better

But I think he would have a different mindset and mentality to Southgate and might see a better brand of football

He seems to talk well in the studio

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lampard as with a number of ex players didn’t give themselves the time to learn management first , develop their management skills - it’s very rare for it to work when doing it on the job

If he had stayed at Derby longer then I suspect he would have done better

But I think he would have a different mindset and mentality to Southgate and might see a better brand of football

He seems to talk well in the studio
Talking in a studio is easy when you're not involved directly. Doesn't make him a good international manager and I think whoever comes in will serve a "better brand"

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lampard is an interesting one.

He did well at Derby

Chelsea are a basket case, you can't judge anyone based on there

Everton, kept us up when we were in trouble, thank you. Second season he tried to play a brand of football beyond the players he had. Silly and pig headed really, you have to play to the strengths of the players, see Dyche. With better players................

I'm not saying he should be the next manager but I think he deserves another chance somewhere before being written off.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

He did well at Derby

Everton, kept us up when we were in trouble, thank you. Second season he tried to play a brand of football beyond the players he had. Silly and pig headed really, you have to play to the strengths of the players, see Dyche. With better players................

I'm not saying he should be the next manager but I think he deserves another chance somewhere before being written off.

I think he will get another job - but what I would have liked to have seen him or Rooney or Gerrard etc is go to the U21 job and develop from there

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

He did well at Derby

100% my thoughts on him. Will be interesting to see him in his next role. Doubt it will be England, but another Prem side may take a punt on him.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

He did well at Derby

Maybe an advisory role or U21's to get that sort of experience. I wonder if a couple of seasons as a PL manager and ideally in Europe at the same time would help get him up to speed on different styles of playing. Easy to discuss it in a studio with stats and slow motion replays but a different kettle of fish to do it on the sidelines and having to adjust on the hoof (as Southgate seems to be demonstrating)

PaulMdj

Visit site
Why not if he is doing the job well - that’s how other countries are working and doing well - where did the Spanish manager come from
It will be interesting to see what the FA do there. Carsley has done very well in the role, it would follow the template of some other nations, keep a degree of continuity.
Been involved with England Youth in different roles since 2015, manager of U21’s since 2001 and has worked with Palmer, Gordon, Mainoo, Quansah, Branthwaite, Elliot, Jones and quite a few more.

Should certainly be considered when Southgate steps down.