The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Yep and well done to them for Beating Serbia 1-0, drawing 1-1 with Denmark and 0-0 with Sebia, beating Slovenia 2-1 and drawing 1-1 with Switzerland. Well done lads, I'm not sure how we made it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So I'm no football tactician whatsoever but as a back 3 could we not have Stones, Guehi and Konsa? I know little of the latter two but they've been awesome and overall looked very calm and collected. Then it is a toss up between Walker and TAA (Walker not at his best in this tournament) and Shaw if fit or Trippier.

Is that crazy and unbalanced and can't work? Just strikes me our 3 best defenders are then the back 3...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I'm no football tactician whatsoever but as a back 3 could we not have Stones, Guehi and Konsa? I know little of the latter two but they've been awesome and overall looked very calm and collected. Then it is a toss up between Walker and TAA (Walker not at his best in this tournament) and Shaw if fit or Trippier.

Is that crazy and unbalanced and can't work? Just strikes me our 3 best defenders are then the back 3...
Yes it’s basically the way he played yesterday.
Back three plus two wingbacks.

I think the way the Dutch play Gakpo wide we’re going to need a RB to cover him as CBs don’t like being that wide.

But God knows what GS will do.!

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

I think the way the Dutch play Gakpo wide we’re going to need a RB to cover him as CBs don’t like being that wide.

There are 9 players that will start regardless of form

Pickford
Walker
Stones
Trippier
Rice
Bellingham
Foden
Saka
Kane

That leaves one midfielder and one defender

I suspect Guehi will come back in and Mainoo will get the midfield spot

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Stop Gakpo, you largely stop Holland. Comfortably their most dangerous player.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When he brought Shaw on I was wondering how many crosses we would see .. I think it was 2-3 and a number spurned opportunities.
Trippier could replace walker if need be .. so could TAA.
I don’t see any of this as an issue. What I see as an issue is a striker who isn’t mobile enough. I would burn out Watkins and Toney - I want them making runs and dragging the defenders all over the show .. Kane did not do this enough plus some of the closing down was lethargic from his part.
Now Foden - I think he played well he came deep and picked up and connected as much as possible ( Bellingham as well) for me this was key, Rice and Mainoo can’t do it themselves and to be honest they are all midfielders and that’s box to box irrespective of your attacking or defensive prowess. ( Foden and Bellingham had not done in previous games)
I still found the wingers being starved but less so.. Saka put in a reasonable performance in but a few more attempts to beat his man who he could, would’ve been great .. And yeah Kane did not get in position to capitalise, which indicates his game is a bit off.
I cannot remember the other wing side ..
Palmer is a good replacement to have and I want to see Gordon play .. the subs did confuse me a bit with Eze and Mainoo etc
I was trying to explain to my wife that we really need a fast striker like Owen or Rooney … in fact just a fast guy doesn’t need to be mega skill full just quick and kick a ball then the defenders will be stressed and the back line will be different giving the midfield more space/depth

PaulMdj

Visit site
When he brought Shaw on I was wondering how many crosses we would see .. I think it was 2-3 and a number spurned opportunities.
Trippier could replace walker if need be .. so could TAA.
I don’t see any of this as an issue. What I see as an issue is a striker who isn’t mobile enough. I would burn out Watkins and Toney - I want them making runs and dragging the defenders all over the show .. Kane did not do this enough plus some of the closing down was lethargic from his part.
Now Foden - I think he played well he came deep and picked up and connected as much as possible ( Bellingham as well) for me this was key, Rice and Mainoo can’t do it themselves and to be honest they are all midfielders and that’s box to box irrespective of your attacking or defensive prowess. ( Foden and Bellingham had not done in previous games)
I still found the wingers being starved but less so.. Saka put in a reasonable performance in but a few more attempts to beat his man who he could, would’ve been great .. And yeah Kane did not get in position to capitalise, which indicates his game is a bit off.
I cannot remember the other wing side ..
Palmer is a good replacement to have and I want to see Gordon play .. the subs did confuse me a bit with Eze and Mainoo etc
I was trying to explain to my wife that we really need a fast striker like Owen or Rooney … in fact just a fast guy doesn’t need to be mega skill full just quick and kick a ball then the defenders will be stressed and the back line will be different giving the midfield more space/depth
Can I ask though. If you saw the wingers being starved, then surely that means Kane is getting no service, so why if you changed him for Toney or Watkins would they get the service?

Part of the main issue for me, regardless of who starts or plays, is the fact we are not getting the ball forward enough or when we are we are not putting enough crosses in or trying to get the ball in to the box.

It’s all backwards and sidewards. We have 1 up front with no support and the opposition have 2-3 staying back in defence.

Personally I’d like Kane to play alongside Toney or Watkins, then regardless of who plays in midfield tell them to get the ball up.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I just worry about his concentration while defending.
Might be better than Walkers right now who has been poor in the last two goals and involved in both the goals conceded

If playing wing backs then their role should be about what they can provide going forward

Even when he came on he was involved straight away

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Turkey were brilliant last night, and got beat. Germany didn’t have their best game but competed and pushed a very good side to extra time. Both no doubt wish they would be where England are, i.e. in the semi-finals, even if it meant playing negative football.

It’s not pretty but it’s been proven time and again to be effective. But is this squad good enough to win the Euro’s? Not in the way we would like. They might steal it, and that’s good enough for the record books.
  • The right back looks like it’s a tournament too many.
  • Do England even have a left back?
  • Shaw looks like he’s just back from injury, isn’t match sharp and does he have 90 mins in him?
  • Gallagher isn’t good enough? Definitely not good enough!
  • Kane isn’t even a shadow of his best.

• Bellingham looks very good, occasionally.
  • Foden looked like he’d found some form in the last match.
  • Saka was great in the last match.

• Mainoo, showed glimpses in his match but looked a bit raw.
  • Eze caused a few problems.
  • Toney? Worth a punt but in a team of ponderous players playing ponderously will he make that much difference?
But that’s three better than decent, the rest being bang average at best in this tournament. England have shown time and again in the last 4 years that this is as good as it gets.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can I ask though. If you saw the wingers being starved, then surely that means Kane is getting no service, so why if you changed him for Toney or Watkins would they get the service?

Part of the main issue for me, regardless of who starts or plays, is the fact we are not getting the ball forward enough or when we are we are not putting enough crosses in or trying to get the ball in to the box.

It’s all backwards and sidewards. We have 1 up front with no support and the opposition have 2-3 staying back in defence.

Personally I’d like Kane to play alongside Toney or Watkins, then regardless of who plays in midfield tell them to get the ball up.
The problem is it’s too compressed, having Kane on doesn’t resolve this. There is no room between the opposition’s defensive and midfield lines, which Bellingham and Foden work in with an energetic CF and wingers ( Saka / palmer / Gordon/ Eze ) .
The key is the CF being quick/mobile and strong - someone who draws attention as it influences the defensive lines.
I understand you want Kane on but he hasn’t been at the level, park the emotions and history- make the change to win the game.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Although I watched it and it was better,( could it get worse). Southgate along with VAR Is killing the game for me. Foden is struggling, but with the lack of movement from Kane. It’s not a suprise. If Luke Shaw starts and I cannot see why not. It at least adds balance.
Forget England for a minute but the over riding feeling amongst the lads we have talked to over the weekend is, this is one of the worst tournaments we have ever seen, with the exception of Spain.
Probably the highlights being the smaller teams playing well.

PaulMdj

Visit site
The problem is it’s too compressed, having Kane on doesn’t resolve this. There is no room between the opposition’s defensive and midfield lines, which Bellingham and Foden work in with an energetic CF and wingers ( Saka / palmer / Gordon/ Eze ) .
The key is the CF being quick/mobile and strong - someone who draws attention as it influences the defensive lines.
I understand you want Kane on but he hasn’t been at the level, park the emotions and history- make the change to win the game.
It’s not about emotions, not in the least, it’s about ability.

The Dutch defence would rather play against any other English forward than Harry Kane, Southgate is not in any way, shape or form, going to drop his Captain, Kane, from the semi-final line up.

Therefore we need to ensure there is a supply and he needs to be supported, hence my solution to play 2 up front.

You’re right about there being no room between the lines of the opposition, just like we are too compact between our defence and midfield, our whole team needs to push 5 yards further up the field.

Look what happened last night when we played the ball to Saka a lot more, we need to do the same down the left, however, Foden is his choice.🤷‍♂️

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
It’s not about emotions, not in the least, it’s about ability.

The Dutch defence would rather play against any other English forward than Harry Kane, Southgate is not in any way, shape or form, going to drop Kane from the semi-final line up.

Therefore we need to ensure there is a supply and he needs to be supported, hence my solution to play 2 up front.

You’re right about there being no room between the lines of the opposition, just like we are too compact between our defence and midfield, our whole team needs to push 5 yards further up the field.

Look what happened last night when we played the ball to Saka a lot more, we need to do the same down the left, however, Foden is his choice.🤷‍♂️

There is zero point providing supply to a player who is 5 yards off the pace behind the wide players sitting deep outside the box

Multiple times Saka for example had the beating of his marker looked up and there was no one in the box , no runners from the middle no oppo wide player coming in at the back post and no centre forward on the penalty spot

It’s the same when the ball went to Trippier - everyone knows it’s not going in on his left foot , they know he isn’t going to overlap

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Although I watched it and it was better,( could it get worse). Southgate along with VAR Is killing the game for me. Foden is struggling, but with the lack of movement from Kane. It’s not a suprise. If Luke Shaw starts and I cannot see why not. It at least adds balance.
Forget England for a minute but the over riding feeling amongst the lads we have talked to over the weekend is, this is one of the worst tournaments we have ever seen, with the exception of Spain.
Probably the highlights being the smaller teams playing well.
One of the things I've noticed is that he is often showing for the ball and not getting it. I think the players are worried he doesn't have space, other players are too close to him. At City, they'd just give it to him as everyone in that City team have fantastic close control and touch. The England players need to trust Foden and give him the ball. It's his touches and passing when people are on him that open things up, create space.