The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s been a strange tournament. England have only won 1 game in 90 minutes, France haven’t scored from open play, yet both are in the semis.
I remember the year Portugal won it they were terrible as well. Came 3rd in their group, but it was the first year where they changed the rule and some 3rd places went through. Then like us they went to extra time/pens in each round.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s been a strange tournament. England have only won 1 game in 90 minutes, France haven’t scored from open play, yet both are in the semis.
France and England are playing ugly, Holland are a bit better but not great. Only Spain are playing with any style or genuine quality. Now, of course, style doesn't always win games or tournaments and at the sharp end of things it's winning that counts. It isn't exactly satisfying though.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Holland lost to Austria.
Austria lost to Turkey.
Turkey lost to Holland.

What a silly tournament!

Anyway, one of the two perennial underperformers will be in the final.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Unbeaten though, unlike the Dutch who have lost 1 game and only scraped through as one of the best 3rd place finishes.
But that’s tournament football for you.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
With southgits penchant for putting square pegs in round holes he can't drop Harry so he will put him in goal so he can remember what it looks like. Pickford can play at centre forward because we need a keeper on the pitch.

AAC

Visit site
I genuinely have not watched a game of football in over 25 years, however I watched most of last nights game (apart from nodding off for a few minutes), it's got worse !!!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm laughing my head off.

Top edge over the slips still counts 4 runs.

Whatever England do is reported as bad or lucky. Keep moaning, it's funny. 😁

Yesterday, had to listen to a load of Welsh folk telling me how heavily England would lose. My reply, "there's football on? How are Wales doing?" 😁😁😁
I'd say it's a safe bet most folk on here who have been criticising England's performances are England fans.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I'd say it's a safe bet most folk on here who have been criticising England's performances are England fans.
Its called being honest, and most of the English folk who’ve been criticising have also stated they hope we win.

Winning and playing good football would be fantastic, but I’ll take winning with poor performances if that’s what it needs.
The post 1980 education system has done its job then!😉

It's also the generation of fans who support a team based on what they win, rather than where they're from.
Very few on here are “glory hunters” in fact I believe all who post have followed their Clubs since childhood and 99% of those have seen their team win very little.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its called being honest, and most of the English folk who’ve been criticising have also stated they hope we win.

Winning and playing good football would be fantastic, but I’ll take winning with poor performances if that’s what it needs.

Very few on here are “glory hunters” in fact I believe all who post have followed their Clubs since childhood and 99% of those have seen their team win very little.
Yes I agree.
It comes from the build up where were told this is the best squad we’ve ever had.
So much talent going forward.
Bit of a question mark about the defence.

But we have been very poor going forward and the defence has played quite well.

If we win ugly great but some nice football from our stars would be nice.!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Strange one for me I watched first half in hotel in London the only other people watching were two young women and their father from South Korea and they were rooting for England 🤷🏼‍♂️

Watched highlights later and was surprised and delighted we won, but still hoping for improvement

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I agree.
It comes from the build up where were told this is the best squad we’ve ever had.

We have to leave Kane no closer than on the bench. Currently the attack is blunted by his absence from where he should be and his major lack of pace.
As we play now, we have nothing up top to aim at or feed.
He might know where the net is, but thats no good when he is so out of position and so slow to get anywhere.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes I agree.

But we do have a great squad filled with award winning players who play at the highest level and they should not be doing so poorly.

Regarding the defending, we have Played Denmark, Switzerland, Serbia, Slovenia and Slovakia, our defence should be able to cope admirably with this rank of team, the worry has been when we play anything half decent which we yet have to.

It is all about context and many seem to not take in to account the above when discussing the issues

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have to leave Kane no closer than on the bench. Currently the attack is blunted by his absence from where he should be and his major lack of pace.
As we play now, we have nothing up top to aim at or feed.
He might know where the net is, but thats no good when he is so out of position and so slow to get anywhere.
Yes I agree.
He’s scored both his goals in the six yd box .
But imo the service to him is non existent .
He seems a bit lost and falls to deep then dosnt have the pace to get back into position.

If we’re going to sit back against the Dutch we need some pace and for me that’s Watkins or Toney.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But we do have a great squad filled with award winning players who play at the highest level and they should not be doing so poorly.

Regarding the defending, we have Played Denmark, Switzerland, Serbia, Slovenia and Slovakia, our defence should be able to cope admirably with this rank of team, the worry has been when we play anything half decent which we yet have to.

It is all about context and many seem to not take in to account the above when discussing the issues
Teams are very organised now with very big busses parked in front of goal.
We should be beating them with the squad we have but we’re stifled by conservative tactics.

We look like Portugal playing a CF on sentiment he’s way off the pace but is first on the team sheet as captain.