The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

RichA

Visit site
Does anybody else not really care who wins?
I want England to win, but I'm just not as revved up as I think I should be, or expected to be.
Approaching the end of extra time I found myself thinking it wouldn't be so bad if Switzerland scored a late winter. If you're playing for penalties with 20 minutes to go I don't think you deserve to win them. And I can live without any more of this torturous misery.
Now we have to go through it again on Wednesday.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it’s a bit mean to down play Switzerland, the Germans were very lucky … we are not winning pretty , but the euros are like that , the games are never open scoring or exciting to be fair

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Madness but he is so clinical when taking them

Shearer and Ferdinand battling it out to who talks the most 💩

The match was turgid again - but they managed to win again

Saka the shining star - quality from him , shame he didn’t have a forward in the box to make use of his quality

They really do need to up their level next and that includes making some big changes

it’s not going to be good enough to beat the likes of Spain , or Holland and even Turkey

But it will be Guehi back in for Konsa

Largely agree, but we didn’t think it would be good enough to compete with Switzerland, and despite not creating much we were largely in control of the game.

Sadly, I think we need to accept that, if England are somehow going to win this, it won’t be because of the manager. He is reactive, rather than being on the front foot. He refuses to seize the initiative, and has been lucky beyond belief. How many times does he need to see the impact of the likes of Palmer and Eze, before he realises that it is those players who have no fear and who will provide the moments to win matches?

The changes he has made have all been forced upon him. The substitutions have been made either because players have picked up knocks, or in response to going behind. Not one proactive substitution as far as I can recall so far this tournament.

Alas, I fear Southgate has surrounded himself by a back room team who are likeminded. It doesn’t seem that anyone is taking him to one side and suggesting to him that Harry Kane has been utterly blunt so far, despite a couple of goals. The captain needs dropping. And he’s not alone.

There isn’t a side left in this tournament which England should fear. But as a result of the manager’s rank conservatism, none of those left will fear us when they really should.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Well we’re through, no idea how, when in every game we’ve looked beatable.

I wasn’t as impressed with Switzerland tonight, they’ve been far better up to this match, maybe we do have a bit of fear factor about us, maybe the opposition are watching England and saying the same as us.

I genuinely don’t fear any team left in the comp, because if any of them turn up, they’ll batter us, but at the same time if they play as bad as they all have at times, then we could beat them, personally I reckon it’s been an awful Euros overall.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think England were much better tonight, dominated most of the game.
Big up to the penalty takers, especially Palmer having the balls to take the first and Trent for the last to put us through. Let's not forget Pickford save as well.
Don't suppose many will agree but I think Southgate got his tactics spot on. He knows more than anyone on here what he has to do and the decisions he has to make.
Too many folk think that we can just walk through teams and score for fun. No one can, France have proved that.

Anyway, onwards and upwards to the semis. 👍

Pin-seeker

Visit site

I wasn’t as impressed with Switzerland tonight, they’ve been far better up to this match, maybe we do have a bit of fear factor about us, maybe the opposition are watching England and saying the same as us.

I genuinely don’t fear any team left in the comp, because if any of them turn up, they’ll batter us, but at the same time if they play as bad as they all have at times, then we could beat them, personally I reckon it’s been an awful Euros overall.
I’d fear spain,best team in the tournament by a country mile imo.
Every thing they do is positive.
The first group games were good,but after that I agree it’s been really poor.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I think England were much better tonight, dominated most of the game.
Big up to the penalty takers, especially Palmer having the balls to take the first and Trent for the last to put us through. Let's not forget Pickford save as well.
Don't suppose many will agree but I think Southgate got his tactics spot on. He knows more than anyone on here what he has to do and the decisions he has to make.
Too many folk think that we can just walk through teams and score for fun. No one can, France have proved that.

Anyway, onwards and upwards to the semis. 👍
Dominated but their keeper didn’t make a save for over a hour.
94mins the game before.
That’s not good enough imo.

Golfnut1957

Visit site

So what you're saying is we might win, but then again we might not.