The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Whilst I agree wholeheartedly that footballers and football referees should act more like their rugby counterparts, part of the problem is the type of punishments available. In rugby, Give away a foul in your defensive third (and sometimes in your own half) and you can almost guarantee that you will have points scored against you. Unless they start giving penalties for every offence in football then the punishment is almost meaningless. They even tried the 10 yards thing a few years ago but it stayed as a free kick, even if you were 2 yards out and nothing came of the free lick as the whole opposition was on the goal line.
Agree it is more difficult partly because scoring is a rare occurance in Football in comparison to Rugby. However if a multitude of tools were used, ie. 10 yds or attackers choice (would not want at this stage to go as far as penalties), sin bins, yellow cards, etc then things can surely only improve.

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
I believe they have been trying something similar in Football at Junior/Youth level, but for me tackling it bottom to top is completly the wrong order of things.
I agree! Juniors model their behaviour on their heroes, which are PL players, who behave appallingly! That's the group who have to be sorted! The scenes of melees of players pushing and shoving that have happened recently needs to be eliminated! The whole culture of football is different to the likes of Rugby etc. I can't imagine Football ever matching Rugby's mixed crowds, for example!

Swango1980

Visit site
Sorry but they are not, they were all born as humans beings with all of their failings. This is learned behavious nothing more nothing less, and the football authorites need to start to tackle it soon or there is a great danger football at grass roots will die due to the lack of people wishing to referee.

We had a bried discussion on refereeing decisions the other day and I was going to come to you, but now maybe is the time. Referee's will not improve at the top level unless we get sufficient number of people, some of whom need to have played the game at some level (doesn't need to be full proffesional) wishing to get involved. That will not happen until people can feel safe in the knowledge that they will have the backing of the authorities when they instigate some form of disciplinary process, particularly for the indimidation of officials, at all levels. These things have been tried before before pundits, and the authorities start to complain that matches are devoid of their star players due to the increased number odf suspensions and sendings off. I have no faith in that happening as the big money players have way too much power. Mikeing up may be worth a try thpough it would need to be backed up by more punitive measures.
I have to disagree to an extent (but not 100%). They are clearly not all equal by the time they enter their sport. If they were, you'd either have virtually all football players not over reacting to anything (just like rugby players), or you'd have rugby players rolling around 30 times and pretending to cry every time they feel they got hard done by.

However, maybe we are saying the same thing, but coming from different angles. I was simply saying they are different by their very nature (maybe I should say by the sport they elected to play), whether those behaviours are learned, genetic or both. Based on the rules of the game, sadly it pays to cry and scream if you think you are fouled in football, whereas it really doesn't pay if you play rugby or a boxer.

I didn't watch football back before the PL, where the game was probably much more aggressive. I suspect crying and moaning was less of an advantage, and also gave the impression that you couldn't hack the aggression by your opponent, so you might have been better to react less? Rightly, the rules have changed so that we hopefully see less bad injuries, but it has probably meant that it has created many more whinging footballers.

I'm all for doing more to protect match officials. Most of us have been hugely critical of referees before. It is inevitable they will make mistakes, although I think the way they use VAR has introduced some strange ones. Whether the VAR sometimes feel they need to be involved, or scared to get involved. or whether the onfield referee feels pressured to reverse a decision, even if they are not entirely comfortable, simply because it is easier to agree with VAR once called over.

But, the more I think about it, the more I think hearing the ref and VAR would go a long way to help. Simply hearing the referee speak would help people see him as a person, rather than an entity that is there to make the odd bad decision. They'd see the good decisions they make, the measured way they speak about certain high profile decisions. As we just said above, we'd hear an open conversation between ref and VAR, rather than just assume VAR is 100% saying it should be one decision and then the ref either having to agree or not.

Another thought: Sin bin for swearing? Player taken off the pitch for 5 minutes? As I understand it, they do it in junior football?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have to disagree to an extent (but not 100%). They are clearly not all equal by the time they enter their sport. If they were, you'd either have virtually all football players not over reacting to anything (just like rugby players), or you'd have rugby players rolling around 30 times and pretending to cry every time they feel they got hard done by.

However, maybe we are saying the same thing, but coming from different angles. I was simply saying they are different by their very nature (maybe I should say by the sport they elected to play), whether those behaviours are learned, genetic or both. Based on the rules of the game, sadly it pays to cry and scream if you think you are fouled in football, whereas it really doesn't pay if you play rugby or a boxer.

I didn't watch football back before the PL, where the game was probably much more aggressive. I suspect crying and moaning was less of an advantage, and also gave the impression that you couldn't hack the aggression by your opponent, so you might have been better to react less? Rightly, the rules have changed so that we hopefully see less bad injuries, but it has probably meant that it has created many more whinging footballers.

I'm all for doing more to protect match officials. Most of us have been hugely critical of referees before. It is inevitable they will make mistakes, although I think the way they use VAR has introduced some strange ones. Whether the VAR sometimes feel they need to be involved, or scared to get involved. or whether the onfield referee feels pressured to reverse a decision, even if they are not entirely comfortable, simply because it is easier to agree with VAR once called over.

But, the more I think about it, the more I think hearing the ref and VAR would go a long way to help. Simply hearing the referee speak would help people see him as a person, rather than an entity that is there to make the odd bad decision. They'd see the good decisions they make, the measured way they speak about certain high profile decisions. As we just said above, we'd hear an open conversation between ref and VAR, rather than just assume VAR is 100% saying it should be one decision and then the ref either having to agree or not.

Another thought: Sin bin for swearing? Player taken off the pitch for 5 minutes? As I understand it, they do it in junior football?
In last nights derby Pickford just ran into Robertson outside his box and Robbo just laughed at him.
unfortunately the ref booked him for laughing ,
Thats what used to happen years ago.
But should have he gone down ?
holding his face ,screaming in agony.
NO but he was booked for laughing, that’s how poor refs are Now.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In last nights derby Pickford just ran into Robertson outside his box and Robbo just laughed at him.

whereas he didnt book Robertson when he told him to F off twice in the first 5 minutes. Swings and roundabouts on all accounts.....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought he kicked the ball away when it was an Everton free kick, stopping them from taking it quickly? I'd guess that is what the booking was for. Pickford is just a nugget 🤷‍♂️. Stupid of him to barge Robertson.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
whereas he didnt book Robertson when he told him to F off twice in the first 5 minutes. Swings and roundabouts on all accounts.....
Isn’t that the problem though. Two wrongs.?
professional referees should not be making bad decisions like that.
he should book him for that, it’s basically why the Wolves lad was sent off.
Swearing has been tolerated by refs for years ( wrongly imo) remember the Rooney one when they trialed body cameras.
the refs have the power to stop this but they have chosen not to use them.

But I wasn’t aware that laughing was a bookable offence.

Swango1980

Visit site
He didn't book him for laughing. He booked him for kicking the ball away.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought he kicked the ball away when it was an Everton free kick, stopping them from taking it quickly? I'd guess that is what the booking was for. Pickford is just a nugget 🤷‍♂️. Stupid of him to barge Robertson.
I thought the ref had forgotten his cards after some of the tackles by Tarkoski.

would he have booked Robbo if Pickford hadn’t done that, I don’t think so.
Him and two defenders were fighting for the ball .

D

Deleted member 15344

He was on a wind up, he succeeded. The yellow was for his part in that.

Tarkowski, it's a derby, you have to have some derby tackles 😄. They all got up again didn't they 😉

Surprised that Coady got away with grabbing Robbo by the throat considering Casemiro was sent off for it by VAR recently

Pickford again reacted to Robbo carrying on after the whistle which set it all off

The referee let a lot go

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
For pity’s sake. If BT Sport insist on employing Glenn Hoddle to spout rubbish, can someone, somewhere please tell him to STOP MUMBLING.

For the first season or so I thought it might be a microphone issue, but quite clearly the man simply doesn’t know how to project his voice. If he can’t learn, or wont, get rid of him once and for all.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surprised that Coady got away with grabbing Robbo by the throat considering Casemiro was sent off for it by VAR recently

Pickford again reacted to Robbo carrying on after the whistle which set it all off

The referee let a lot go

Except that Casemiro didn't grab anyone by the throat.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He was on a wind up, he succeeded. The yellow was for his part in that.

Tarkowski, it's a derby, you have to have some derby tackles 😄. They all got up again didn't they 😉
The one on the wind up was Pickford .
He tried it with Nunez got no joy.
Robbo played the ball into the penalty area . Probably didn’t hear the whistle ,it’s quite loud in Anfield.

” you got the ball back didn’t you”;)

Last edited:

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
Think you’re pushing it a bit there mate.
Yes my eyebrows went up like a Macdonalds advert when I read that.;)
he was ok at best.
Maybe so, as I haven't seen him play for a while but, at least to me, always seemed to be a threat when he was running down his wing either with the ball or onto a pass. Maybe it's just because I prefer seeing movement, as opposed to the pretty dreary 'pass the ball around the triangle' play that seems to be so much of the game.