The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find that remark rather odd, to be honest. You’ve played United three times, conceded eight and scored none. United were never threatened with defeat in any of those games, not even remotely. Forest didn’t take their chances, but then neither did United across the three games, so you should perhaps count your blessings rather than bemoaning the fact you think you’re better than you are, and we’re worse!

I think you're mis-interpreting what I'm saying, although I probably didn't choose my words very well. To clarify (and as I've already said), United were much the better team (and to be expected, given the squad they have, that's been together more than 3 months). What I'm trying to say is, United, based on those performances, are not 8 goals better than Forest. The scoreline(s) were flattering - mostly due to our own doing. Both goals last night;

1. Stupid fanny pass by Boly, picked up inside 22 yards and basically ended up being 2 on 1, which will never end well.
2. No one marking Fred, for some reason, allowing him to have a cup of tea at the back post all on his own whilst he waited for the ball.

Martial's goal in the first game, albeit a very good counter attack, was straight at Hennessey, except he takes approx 2 weeks to get down to the ground, so missed it. Henderson (or any other Premier League level keeper) would have (and should have) saved it.
Fred's goal in the same game - Emmanuel Dennis passed it STRAIGHT TO CASEMIRO, who then fed Fred the ball, completely against the run of play (because why would any of Dennis' team mates expect him to just pass the ball to United).

We got pumped 6-0 by City early in the season, and rightly so. we were terrible - and barely touched the ball. Got pumped by Leicester 4-0 - again, was deserved. Same with Arsenal 5-0 - we collapsed and looked horrible.

Whilst United are a better team, and deserved to win all 3 games; all 3 of those scorelines aren't a fair assessment on how Forest have played overall (which is more of an observation of taking the positives vs. how we were playing prior to the World Cup break - I was convinced we'd struggle to say up - but I'm MUCH more optimistic, given our progress). United didn't dominate all 3 games or look ruthless like Arsenal or City did - that's not a knock on United, but more testament to the job Cooper is doing.

Hopefully that makes sense....but just to clear things up UNITED WERE THE BETTER TEAM. :)

Can I be irritated by the way the commentators last night cooed when Bruno Fernandes kicked the ball with the outside of his boot, like he'd performed some sort of sporting miracle?
haha. Also; Fernandes falls over when being challenged = He's being clever. Emmanuel Dennis does it = he's cheating. At least be consistent. :LOL:

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
The tie was over before they went out,I suspect the atmosphere would have been different if it was a contest.
To be honest after the first leg it could have been 8-0 as you lot were shocking.
I feel for your manager trying to get all those players to gel and keep them all happy.
I’ve never seen a club buy so many players and not good ones either.

Oh god, not this again.

One last time for those at the back:

1. We didn't have a choice but to buy so many players in the Summer. SIXTEEN PLAYERS LEFT THE CLUB/CONTRACTS EXPIRED/LOANS ENDED. What did you expect them to do? Buy a couple of players and just field the U21's to fill the gaps?
2. Similarly in Jan - we have 4 players on Long-term injury and a further 4 out for at least a month - they've bought players in to give the squad depth to allow us to keep competing.
3. "Not good ones" - I take it you're well versed with the German, Belgian, Italian and Brazilian leagues to give this judgement?

Not sure what game you watched last week, Tony, obviously had your United-Tinted specs on. "Shocking"? Bit OTT, typical United fan :ROFLMAO: We just don't have final 3rd quality - Which is difficult a.) when the squad is still new and b.) 2 of your 1st choice attacking options are injured. Could have been 2 up at the half last night if not for Dennis trying to finish one and hitting it right into Surridge (FFS) and Brennan thinking too much about the other.

Yes, the squad is still gelling, but compare the last two performances vs how we were playing earlier in the season and it was like night and day. Performances are improving, and that's all I can ask. Part of me is glad the cup run is over as it allows the team to concentrate on the task at hand, which is surviving relegation - which on current form, is giving me optimism.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think you're mis-interpreting what I'm saying, although I probably didn't choose my words very well. To clarify (and as I've already said), United were much the better team (and to be expected, given the squad they have, that's been together more than 3 months). What I'm trying to say is, United, based on those performances, are not 8 goals better than Forest. The scoreline(s) were flattering - mostly due to our own doing. Both goals last night;

1. Stupid fanny pass by Boly, picked up inside 22 yards and basically ended up being 2 on 1, which will never end well.
2. No one marking Fred, for some reason, allowing him to have a cup of tea at the back post all on his own whilst he waited for the ball.

Martial's goal in the first game, albeit a very good counter attack, was straight at Hennessey, except he takes approx 2 weeks to get down to the ground, so missed it. Henderson (or any other Premier League level keeper) would have (and should have) saved it.
Fred's goal in the same game - Emmanuel Dennis passed it STRAIGHT TO CASEMIRO, who then fed Fred the ball, completely against the run of play (because why would any of Dennis' team mates expect him to just pass the ball to United).

We got pumped 6-0 by City early in the season, and rightly so. we were terrible - and barely touched the ball. Got pumped by Leicester 4-0 - again, was deserved. Same with Arsenal 5-0 - we collapsed and looked horrible.

Whilst United are a better team, and deserved to win all 3 games; all 3 of those scorelines aren't a fair assessment on how Forest have played overall (which is more of an observation of taking the positives vs. how we were playing prior to the World Cup break - I was convinced we'd struggle to say up - but I'm MUCH more optimistic, given our progress). United didn't dominate all 3 games or look ruthless like Arsenal or City did - that's not a knock on United, but more testament to the job Cooper is doing.

Hopefully that makes sense....but just to clear things up UNITED WERE THE BETTER TEAM.:)

haha. Also; Fernandes falls over when being challenged = He's being clever. Emmanuel Dennis does it = he's cheating. At least be consistent. :LOL:
To be fair, most of the time when a team concedes a goal, there is at least one mistake from the defending team, or various things that the defending team could do much better. It is rare that a team concedes a goal, yet that team did absolutely everything perfect in their defending in that moment. The trick for the attacking team is trying to expose weak points, and then being clinical.

Utd had control of the tie last night, they just didn't play with any urgency. It can be frustrating in one off ties, although understandable last night. However, there have been plenty of fixtures like last nights over the last 5 or so years, where United have been horrific. No quality at all in turning possession into chances to score, and getting crucified on the counter. Plenty of teams like Forest came to Utd, and outplayed Utd. Even if they had less possession, they had the better chances. They knew Utd were there to be had. So, as a Utd fan, it is really pleasing to see Utd play with much more control. Even if we are not blowing teams away by 4 or 5 goals, you can see the attacking play is much more slick. But, we are massively more solid. Give the ball away less, and when we do lose possession, much calmer in getting it back.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I be irritated by the way the commentators last night cooed when Bruno Fernandes kicked the ball with the outside of his boot, like he'd performed some sort of sporting miracle?

Then Rashford came on and thought they might just wee their pants every time he touched the ball.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
With regards to Bellingham, is he really that good. Its alright lording in it in Germany playing against championship level teams but what about the big games. Played alright for England against the poorer teams. Has he got the game for the big matches.
This from a Leeds fan but Im not sure he'll cut it in the premier league. Its all about opinions though

Yes. He's that good, IMO. He's the player you can build around and could be the mainstay of his next team for close to 15 years, given his age. I, like most Liverpool fans, would love to see him with us. He's already excellent, and will improve too, I have no doubt. But given where we are at the moment I don't see him coming to us - we're just not good enough.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting set of February fixtures ahead of the Final on the 26th

Man U
4th h v. Palace
8th h v. Leeds
12th a v. Leeds
16th a v. Barcelona
19th h v. Leicester
23rd h v. Barcelona

Newcastle
4th h v. West Ham
11th a v. Bournemouth
18th h v. Liverpool

The price of success eh? If Barcelona go into the 2nd leg with a lead, will ETH field a weakened side and give up on the Europa League? TBH I reckon Man U have strength in depth to cope with those six games...Leeds away might be a battle but they should have enough to cope with the 3 home league games...then its just Barca to pick squads for.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Oh wow! Is there any way back for him?

It's going to be a difficult one for him as most will have made their minds up on is guilt and having the charges dropped doesn't mean he's now innocent. From a football point of view there are no further charges to answer so he should be allowed to get on with it. Whether he has the personality to deal with the abuse he's going to get from the stands is another thing.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The way of the world now is a great deal will be down to sponsors. If the big Utd sponsors, especially those relating to kit and clothing, do not want him seen in their gear, he will not play irrespective of the intentions of the club.

Not commenting on guilt, innocence of anything else but if the sponsors see it as bad PR and threaten to pull the plug, that is it.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How in the name of hell has that happened????? The evidence is in the public domain.. that's incredible

But to answer the way back there has to be if all charges dropped

Wasn't the evidence the video that she put online? I can't remember what exactly it was however the police line is that "key witnesses have withdrawn and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction." Obviously you can read into this any number of ways however it obviously wasn't as cut and dried as people thought.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Got to say, people shouldn’t be named and shamed until proven guilty of a crime.
Clearly mistakes were made, but when ultimately there is no charge…….
Difficult when you’re a Premier League Footballer though.