The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Balogun bagging a hat trick for Reims in Ligue1 tonight. The lad is banging in in the goals over there. Great news for Arsenal let's hope he gets a chance next season.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ohh no, they're not. Just stopped play to have a little look at some "handbags"
Yet completely ignored that little scrote Antony raking his studs over Dennis’ ankle. Not sure who’s worse, Antony or Richarlison

Flattered United for the third time this season. Ten Hag Willy waving by bringing on 3 of his strongest players for absolutely no reason at all ? United’s support is worse than City’s didn’t hear them until about the 80th minute. Should be a good final for the neutral.

Pleased with how we played given we were missing 8(I think, at last count) first team players due to injury..At least Hennessey wasn’t completely useless this week ??

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Yet completely ignored that little scrote Antony raking his studs over Dennis’ ankle. Not sure who’s worse, Antony or Richarlison

Flattered United for the third time this season. Ten Hag Willy waving by bringing on 3 of his strongest players for absolutely no reason at all ? United’s support is worse than City’s didn’t hear them until about the 80th minute. Should be a good final for the neutral.

Pleased with how we played given we were missing 8(I think, at last count) first team players due to injury..At least Hennessey wasn’t completely useless this week ??
I don't remember the Antony challenge. I guess the commentators thought nothing of it? Don't remember players making a huge fuss?

United controlled the game. Sure, Forest had a couple of good chances in 1st half, but that sometimes happens in football.

Ten Hag is using the squad, keeping his key players involved, probably trying to keep momentum. Easier to do that these days, with 5 subs. Don't see an issue with that?

It wasn't exactly a game for the home fans to get majorly excited about. We'd pretty much won the tie in 1st leg, last night felt more like an exhibition. Had Forest scored first, and even got 2, I'd imagine the home fans would get a lot more involved in the game. Been much more excitable when we went on the attack and certainly if we scored.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't remember the Antony challenge. I guess the commentators thought nothing of it? Don't remember players making a huge fuss?

United controlled the game. Sure, Forest had a couple of good chances in 1st half, but that sometimes happens in football.

Ten Hag is using the squad, keeping his key players involved, probably trying to keep momentum. Easier to do that these days, with 5 subs. Don't see an issue with that?

It wasn't exactly a game for the home fans to get majorly excited about. We'd pretty much won the tie in 1st leg, last night felt more like an exhibition. Had Forest scored first, and even got 2, I'd imagine the home fans would get a lot more involved in the game. Been much more excitable when we went on the attack and certainly if we scored.

Should have been a straight red as clearly intentional.

No real issues with the subs just thought it was a bit bonkers since you have about 10 games in 5 days. Would have been a good opportunity to put out a few youth players. You’re not the same team without the likes of Rashford Casemiro and Martial, so why risk injury when the tie is essentially over (especially given what happened to Eriksson at the weekend).

Fully expected a United win, as you’re a team on the rise challenging for the top 4; but of the 8 goals you’ve scored, we’ve made at least 6 of them much too easy and gifted them due to stupid mistakes or poor passes, mostly from our backline. Fred’s scored twice FFS ?

Hopefully we’ll have our stuff together defensively when the home fixture rolls around.

ntommo

Visit site
With regards to Bellingham, is he really that good. Its alright lording in it in Germany playing against championship level teams but what about the big games. Played alright for England against the poorer teams. Has he got the game for the big matches.
This from a Leeds fan but Im not sure he'll cut it in the premier league. Its all about opinions though

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

No real issues with the subs just thought it was a bit bonkers since you have about 10 games in 5 days. Would have been a good opportunity to put out a few youth players. You’re not the same team without the likes of Rashford Casemiro and Martial, so why risk injury when the tie is essentially over (especially given what happened to Eriksson at the weekend).

Fully expected a United win, as you’re a team on the rise challenging for the top 4; but of the 8 goals you’ve scored, we’ve made at least 6 of them much too easy and gifted them due to stupid mistakes or poor passes, mostly from our backline. Fred’s scored twice FFS ?

Hopefully we’ll have our stuff together defensively when the home fixture rolls around.
That dosnt look good in slow mo.
but at full speed only Anthony knows for sure.

Swango1980

Visit site

Thanks for sending the link. But, really? You think that is DEFINITELY intentional, and it has put an opponent at serious risk of injury? His foot had to go somewhere, and he has barely touched him. It looked like a tap on the ankle. If we are going to dish out reds for that, there'll be a dozen red cards a game. I'm not surprised the incident didn't create any controversy amongst players on the pitch, commentators, pundits or managers after the game.

Exactly, we are not the same team without the likes of Casemiro and a few others. However, if he tried to give a few youth players a chance, and then Forest score early on and the nerves kick in, he could have seriously regretted that decision. Therefore, he went strong. To be fair, he started with Rashford on the bench, who could potentially be most prone to injury given the pace he plays at and the challenges he is likely to receive. He had Sancho coming back, and chose a fairly reasonable time to give him his opportunity. Perhaps he could have played Lindelof and/or Maguire, but maybe he wanted Varane and Martinez another game to work as a unit.

I suspect Ten Hag is being pragmatic, and accepting that a player could get injured in any game. However, if they are fit and healthy, don't need a rest, then to try and remain as consistent as possible in his team selections. Picking a team with many changes risks the danger of them not quite being up to speed tactically, like the well used players. We saw what happened at Brentford early in the season when we had a bunch of players who were not fully up to speed with how he wanted them to play. Being 4-0 down at half time is obviously unlikely, but not impossible. As a Utd fan, I expected a few more to be rotated. But, I also currently trust the managers judgement, and think he sent out a message that he is taking every game seriously. Furthermore, he was giving Nottingham Forest the respect they deserved.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for sending the link. But, really? You think that is DEFINITELY intentional, and it has put an opponent at serious risk of injury? His foot had to go somewhere, and he has barely touched him. It looked like a tap on the ankle. If we are going to dish out reds for that, there'll be a dozen red cards a game. I'm not surprised the incident didn't create any controversy amongst players on the pitch, commentators, pundits or managers after the game.

Exactly, we are not the same team without the likes of Casemiro and a few others. However, if he tried to give a few youth players a chance, and then Forest score early on and the nerves kick in, he could have seriously regretted that decision. Therefore, he went strong. To be fair, he started with Rashford on the bench, who could potentially be most prone to injury given the pace he plays at and the challenges he is likely to receive. He had Sancho coming back, and chose a fairly reasonable time to give him his opportunity. Perhaps he could have played Lindelof and/or Maguire, but maybe he wanted Varane and Martinez another game to work as a unit.

I suspect Ten Hag is being pragmatic, and accepting that a player could get injured in any game. However, if they are fit and healthy, don't need a rest, then to try and remain as consistent as possible in his team selections. Picking a team with many changes risks the danger of them not quite being up to speed tactically, like the well used players. We saw what happened at Brentford early in the season when we had a bunch of players who were not fully up to speed with how he wanted them to play. Being 4-0 down at half time is obviously unlikely, but not impossible. As a Utd fan, I expected a few more to be rotated. But, I also currently trust the managers judgement, and think he sent out a message that he is taking every game seriously. Furthermore, he was giving Nottingham Forest the respect they deserved.

He literally adjusts where his foot is going to plant ? it is what it is. Either way he’s high on the dislikeable scale with the likes of Richarlison. ?

I was unclear, United’s team selection wasn’t baffling, I’d do the same to ensure the tie is done, but bringing on Martial AND Rashford when the game is over seemed strange (Sancho made sense as he needs the minutes. Was nice to see the ovation he got from the home fans too, feel like he needs a bit of love). As you say, injuries could happen at any time, but with so many games in your schedule, I was just surprised he wasn’t keeping a few key players fresh given the weekend incident. Not a criticism really, more of an observation. Can’t deny what he’s done to turn things around in such a short space of time.

Swango1980

Visit site
He literally adjusts where his foot is going to plant ? it is what it is. Either way he’s high on the dislikeable scale with the likes of Richarlison. ?

I was unclear, United’s team selection wasn’t baffling, I’d do the same to ensure the tie is done, but bringing on Martial AND Rashford when the game is over seemed strange (Sancho made sense as he needs the minutes. Was nice to see the ovation he got from the home fans too, feel like he needs a bit of love). As you say, injuries could happen at any time, but with so many games in your schedule, I was just surprised he wasn’t keeping a few key players fresh given the weekend incident. Not a criticism really, more of an observation. Can’t deny what he’s done to turn things around in such a short space of time.
I completely get that Antony is on the dislikeable scale. He does his tricks (sometimes pointlessly) and his attitude does seem to give off that vibe at times. But, in that instance, we are looking at a slow motion replay of something that happened in an instant. He could have just realised his foot was going to plant near the opponents foot, and instinctively tried to move it at last second to try and avoid it, without really having time to think exactly where his foot or the opponents foot would be. He didn't stamp down on the ground, but managed to land fairly lightly, and get the weight of that leg pretty sharpish. If he wanted to cause damage, he could have properly stamped down on the ankle, and I doubt Dennis would have been able to play on.

Of the subs, yes it might be curious as to why Rashford came on. I think all the other subs made sense. Lindelof and Maguire made sense. Sancho made sense and Martial needs to be given another opportunity up front, given we only really have 2 strikers. Maybe Rashford came on as he wants him to keep up that momentum and match sharpness. Maybe he was sending a message to Garnacho that he needs to work hard, given Rashford is very much the form guy in that position. I didn't think Garnacho was awful, but there wasn't much cutting edge generally in that first half.

RichA

Visit site
It looked like a petty stamp in real time. I was surprised no action was taken.
There was a lot of cynical behaviour from both sides to remind me why I don't love football anymore.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Flattered United for the third time this season.

I find that remark rather odd, to be honest. You’ve played United three times, conceded eight and scored none. United were never threatened with defeat in any of those games, not even remotely. Forest didn’t take their chances, but then neither did United across the three games, so you should perhaps count your blessings rather than bemoaning the fact you think you’re better than you are, and we’re worse!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Changing tack slightly, am I alone in finding the fact that sports pages like BBC Sport insist on publishing daily transfer rumour updates, every day, even in the days following the closure of the transfer window? Really, nobody cares in February about who might be going where in the summer.

If we had a football random irritations thread this would be right up there for me.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Changing tack slightly, am I alone in finding the fact that sports pages like BBC Sport insist on publishing daily transfer rumour updates, every day, even in the days following the closure of the transfer window? Really, nobody cares in February about who might be going where in the summer.

If we had a football random irritations thread this would be right up there for me.

I'm with you, its a very slow news period in football atm clearly.

You'd think someone could produce an interesting bit of journalism but maybe they're all on holiday post transfer window shutting. :ROFLMAO:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
With regards to Bellingham, is he really that good. Its alright lording in it in Germany playing against championship level teams but what about the big games. Played alright for England against the poorer teams. Has he got the game for the big matches.
This from a Leeds fan but Im not sure he'll cut it in the premier league. Its all about opinions though

Haaland has done alright ?
In the World Cup Bellingham was right up there with his performances.
In the PL he will be class imo.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

The tie was over before they went out,I suspect the atmosphere would have been different if it was a contest.
To be honest after the first leg it could have been 8-0 as you lot were shocking.
I feel for your manager trying to get all those players to gel and keep them all happy.
I’ve never seen a club buy so many players and not good ones either.

Swango1980

Visit site

Leading up to transfer deadline, it is probably an agents dream. As soon as the deadline has passed, I bet the agents are still leaking rumours to the press whilst everybody's minds are still focused on transfers. Once the teams start playing again this weekend, I suspect a lot of the stories will shift to current football again, by and large. And how new acquisitions are performing.