The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
For some reason I ended up watching Basketball last night Boston v Lakers. Literally the last play LeBron was fouled. It was nailed on. The refs missed it. Lakers would have won. It went to extra time and the Boston Celtics won. Suffice to say it has hit the fan.

Some of the quotes are to the point.
Lakers player Anthony Davis said after the game that his side were "cheated" and suggested referees should be fined for missed calls.
We got cheated. To miss a call that blatant, the ref is sitting right there on the baseline, it's tough. It's not fair. I guarantee if the refs started getting fined for missed calls, it would be a lot better. But nothing's going to be done."

So what would happen to a player or manager if they called a referee a cheat in football. Could referees be fined.
Thoughts.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
From a Utd fan that’s amusing ????

Fabinho - tackle was late and dangerous and not sure what VAR was looking at , should have been a red all day

United is irrelevant, they weren't playing.
I was merely commenting on what I was watching at the time, L'pool should have had at least two, possibly three, players sent off.
The officials sided with L'pool each time, I think they were incredibly biased.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
For some reason I ended up watching Basketball last night Boston v Lakers. Literally the last play LeBron was fouled. It was nailed on. The refs missed it. Lakers would have won. It went to extra time and the Boston Celtics won. Suffice to say it has hit the fan.

Lakers player Anthony Davis said after the game that his side were "cheated" and suggested referees should be fined for missed calls.
We got cheated. To miss a call that blatant, the ref is sitting right there on the baseline, it's tough. It's not fair. I guarantee if the refs started getting fined for missed calls, it would be a lot better. But nothing's going to be done."

So what would happen to a player or manager if they called a referee a cheat in football. Could referees be fined.
Thoughts.

Players/ managers would be fined for sure.

Refs cant be - they don't get paid premier league money, they're normal working blokes with mortgages etc., if they were in line to be fined for a bad performance we would soon have no refs!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If refs have a bad game, make a howler, they get dropped the following week or get moved down the pyramid.

On other news, Jonjo shelvey to Forest. Well, they were due a transfer................Decent player. Doesn't run much but can play a pass on a good day. Brings plenty of PL experience.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Thoughts.
They would all be skint judging on what I have seen this season.
all the tech has made it worse imo.

am sure managers have been fined for this in the past.

Swango1980

Visit site
United is irrelevant, they weren't playing.
I was merely commenting on what I was watching at the time, L'pool should have had at least two, possibly three, players sent off.
The officials sided with L'pool each time, I think they were incredibly biased.
And, the Fabinho incident was incredible. It is unusual that everyone agrees, including fans of the players club, that a player should have been sent off. Pundits and commentators thought he should be sent off. Even Fabinho's reaction was one that he realised he had crossed the line, and he was probably expecting to get sent off once VAR got involved.

So, given how pretty much every person you could think off thought it was a definite red card, how does the one guy that has a qualification in refereeing, watching it using replays, not think the same thing??????

And, if they aren't going to give that decision, it is unlikely they'd give anything, except maybe a Cantona style kung fu kick.

On field referees can miss things in the moment, in fairness. But, I think they are consciously, or subconsciously not making the big calls as much anymore, as they'll just rely on VAR to notify them for anything they feel is borderline (in their mind). Not sure if that is true, but would love to know how many straight reds on field referees gave pre and post VAR, over say a rate of 1000 games.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
And, the Fabinho incident was incredible. It is unusual that everyone agrees, including fans of the players club, that a player should have been sent off. Pundits and commentators thought he should be sent off. Even Fabinho's reaction was one that he realised he had crossed the line, and he was probably expecting to get sent off once VAR got involved.

So, given how pretty much every person you could think off thought it was a definite red card, how does the one guy that has a qualification in refereeing, watching it using replays, not think the same thing??????

And, if they aren't going to give that decision, it is unlikely they'd give anything, except maybe a Cantona style kung fu kick.

On field referees can miss things in the moment, in fairness. But, I think they are consciously, or subconsciously not making the big calls as much anymore, as they'll just rely on VAR to notify them for anything they feel is borderline (in their mind). Not sure if that is true, but would love to know how many straight reds on field referees gave pre and post VAR, over say a rate of 1000 games.

There is so much in that post where I could have wrote this ?, this? this etc etc. I honestly don’t know if the the regular weekend screw ups is down to incompetence of officials, be it on the pitch or in the VAR booth. An over complication of rules or Both. But once more football discussion is dominated by the officials and VAR instead of a fine win by Brighton, a good draw with Wrexham and Sheff Utd.

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
If refs have a bad game, make a howler, they get dropped the following week or get moved down the pyramid.

On other news, Jonjo shelvey to Forest. Well, they were due a transfer................Decent player. Doesn't run much but can play a pass on a good day. Brings plenty of PL experience.

I think he could do a good job for Forest. Mixed time at Newcastle....occasionally Pirlo like but often too slow thought process and got caught with the ball...dropping down the pecking order at Newcastle and likely to drop further as squad strengthening continues. Right move for all concerned.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The talk about referees being fined for making a mistake makes me laugh. Do posters also think that players should be fined for missing shots, tackles, misplacing passes, etc? :ROFLMAO:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The talk about referees being fined for making a mistake makes me laugh. Do posters also think that players should be fined for missing shots, tackles, misplacing passes, etc? :ROFLMAO:

Clearly, there are a few people on here who have never made a mistake at work. Or even at all ?

D

Deleted member 15344

If players make too many mistakes they get dropped , or even sold etc - there are consequences for players making mistakes. No doubt there are consequences for anyone making mistakes.

There has been suggestions a number of times that maybe there needs to be some forum for the ref to explain some decisions etc that do affect the outcomes of games.

A referee has the power to cost clubs millions.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Cancelo in talks with Bayern for a loan move, with a £61.5 million option to buy in the summer.

A bit surprised by that. Who next to leave, Foden?

He's not exactly young, that's very good money for a LB and he can be replaced.

Smart business in my mind!

Foden wont leave City unless Madrid or Barca want him - might not even then!

Swango1980

Visit site
He's not exactly young, that's very good money for a LB and he can be replaced.

Smart business in my mind!

Foden wont leave City unless Madrid or Barca want him - might not even then!
Yeah, seems like excellent money, so probably good business.

It is just that it didn't seem long ago Cancelo seemed to be talked about one of the best full backs in the PL, and maybe therefore the world. He is still only 28, so if City have ambitions to win the Champions League (and to continue to try and dominate the PL), you'd think Cancelo would be a player they'd like to keep. He seems to have not played so well recently, in the games I've watched, but just thought that was a dip in form.

Do they have a ready made replacement, and if so, do they have strong cover as well? If not, will they have to go out and spend a fortune on another top class full back? Didn't seem so long ago Pep was spending lots of money to bring the likes of Walker into the club (5 years or so ago)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cancelo in talks with Bayern for a loan move, with a £61.5 million option to buy in the summer.

A bit surprised by that. Who next to leave, Foden?

been something up there since the WC, his performances have fallen off a cliff and then been rotated/dropped. Fair chance something going on behind the scenes?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yeah, seems like excellent money, so probably good business.

It is just that it didn't seem long ago Cancelo seemed to be talked about one of the best full backs in the PL, and maybe therefore the world. He is still only 28, so if City have ambitions to win the Champions League (and to continue to try and dominate the PL), you'd think Cancelo would be a player they'd like to keep. He seems to have not played so well recently, in the games I've watched, but just thought that was a dip in form.

Do they have a ready made replacement, and if so, do they have strong cover as well? If not, will they have to go out and spend a fortune on another top class full back? Didn't seem so long ago Pep was spending lots of money to bring the likes of Walker into the club (5 years or so ago)

No doubt that Cancelo's class - he's been in the last 2 team of the seasons! But you have to balance the books and the money is just too high to turn down for a 28 year old I feel.

Interestingly, he's only played a couple of games post world cup too so maybe something isn't all right for him at the moment? Hard to know - guessing really!

City are clever with their transfers, they do seem to keep the books balanced pretty well, I can only think maybe they're lining up an expensive target in the summer or they need to offset spends over the last 12 months.

They also have that Lewis who has looked really good at times so far this season - very young but look what Pep has done with Foden. Lewis looks very good any time I have watched him! Plus Ake has been way better this year!

Swango1980

Visit site
No doubt that Cancelo's class - he's been in the last 2 team of the seasons! But you have to balance the books and the money is just too high to turn down for a 28 year old I feel.

Interestingly, he's only played a couple of games post world cup too so maybe something isn't all right for him at the moment? Hard to know - guessing really!

City are clever with their transfers, they do seem to keep the books balanced pretty well, I can only think maybe they're lining up an expensive target in the summer or they need to offset spends over the last 12 months.

They also have that Lewis who has looked really good at times so far this season - very young but look what Pep has done with Foden. Lewis looks very good any time I have watched him! Plus Ake has been way better this year!
Foundational work in the transfer market, in preparation for making an unbeatable bid for Bellingham in the summer?