The Cricket Thread

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I remember this delivery in the WC... it was way too tight a no-ball call even in real time. Good to see it has been pulled up by those defending this. It is the same bowler.

View attachment 44483
The 2 incidents have nothing in common bar the same player

One is a tight umpiring decision, the other is a conscious decision to gain an advantage against the spirit of the game

But those who want to will continue to spin it and continue to destroy what used to be a great game

I feel sorry for club cricket umpires who are going to have to officiate this week after week now

How about this one?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Glad the crowd at Lords turned on them because no matter how they try to justify it it stinks. And I’m glad that Charlie Dean faked it today, just proves that we would not stoop to those levels. Well done ladies.

I bet Deepti Sharma’s Monday to Friday job is working at a call centre trying to convince vulnerable types there is something wrong with their broadband!

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The 2 incidents have nothing in common bar the same player

One is a tight umpiring decision, the other is a conscious decision to gain an advantage against the spirit of the game

But those who want to will continue to spin it and continue to destroy what used to be a great game

I feel sorry for club cricket umpires who are going to have to officiate this week after week now

How about this one?

I agree both are different. but it is funny to watch it being dragged up

Glad the crowd at Lords turned on them because no matter how they try to justify it it stinks. And I’m glad that Charlie Dean faked it today, just proves that we would not stoop to those levels. Well done ladies.

I bet Deepti Sharma’s Monday to Friday job is working at a call centre trying to convince vulnerable types there is something wrong with their broadband!

Sorry to say that is fairly low brow.. I am assuming it was said in anger. Similary I hope Deepti is wishing she can turn back time. Not good for the game

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Sorry to say that is fairly low brow.. I am assuming it was said in anger. Similary I hope Deepti is wishing she can turn back time. Not good for the game

Watching her celebrations well after the decision had been given Im not sure I agree.

Wonder how she feels about Indias great servant Julia Goswamis last game celebrations being completely overshadowed by her behaviour?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Watching her celebrations well after the decision had been given Im not sure I agree.

Wonder how she feels about Indias great servant Julia Goswamis last game celebrations being completely overshadowed by her behaviour?

I cant read hear my mind. I agree, the whole thing has overshadowed Julia's fairytale ending.
When Broad did not walk after nicking the ball a few years ago, ..... perfect poker face that day even when the ball bounced off his bat.... are we still holding it against him, not really. He and We have moved on. I am sure, he will put it in his memoirs someday..

PS: as i said, i dont agree with what happened.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Nope, stone cold. I hold them both in similar contempt. And as for old Deepti having any regret, I think that’s just wishful thinking on your part.

RichA

Visit site
Everyone needs to get over the whole spirit of cricket myth in relation to something that was actually within the laws of the game.
We could make a fairly long list of activities that take place in every amateur or elite professional cricket match that attempt, sometimes successfully, to achieve a wicket or avoid losing one by exercising dishonesty.

Grizzly

Visit site
I remember this delivery in the WC... it was way too tight a no-ball call even in real time. Good to see it has been pulled up by those defending this. It is the same bowler.

View attachment 44483

Err...how is that a defence?

Firstly, the picture above clearly shows nothing is grounded behind the line, so...its a no ball. Its a very very tight call, and one that would never have been made in the days when no ball calls were made on the field in real time, but it is still a no ball. And as a spinner bowling at, what, 40mph, she has no business pushing the line.

Not that that is really relevant. Even if it was a jaw dropping travesty of a decision, it doesn't excuse making a much worse one, two "wrongs" do not equate to justice. By that argument, if I play a singles match play and my opponent penalises me for playing the wrong ball in a genuine mistake, I'd be entitled to drop one down my trouser leg on the next hole...

Grizzly

Visit site
When Broad did not walk after nicking the ball a few years ago, ..... perfect poker face that day even when the ball bounced off his bat.... are we still holding it against him, not really. He and We have moved on. I am sure, he will put it in his memoirs someday..

Interesting analogy, one that we could discuss for an eternity I suspect. My take is that Broad was within his rights to play to the umpire, even once he knew he had been the beneficiary of an absolute howler - after all, there is a DRS in place for the opposition to challenge, and its not his fault they had burned their reviews*. Its a big step from that to deliberately conning an opposing player as Sharma did.

* There is an argument about walking here. I spent half my career as a confirmed walker, even when I knew there were some clubs with...shall we say cooperative umpires - until I was given out on 98 caught behind to a ball I missed by about a foot; even that I'd take, but for the wicketkeeper, a friendly acquaintance, admitting as I walked off that he knew I was nowhere near it, but that he had no intention of withdrawing the appeal because, why would you.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sky are clearly using Pakistani local TV coverage. Comes with the bizarre product placement...a bike powering a massive fake washing machine, and actors drinking tea from a paper cup ?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sky are clearly using Pakistani local TV coverage. Comes with the bizarre product placement...a bike powering a massive fake washing machine, and actors drinking tea from a paper cup ?
Not only that, every time an ad comes on the commentator has to read out load what the ad states.

Thought The 20/20 was a great finish, especially the last 4 overs. Dawson excellent

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Another take on the subject .. apparently left the crease early 72 times before getting run out on the 73rd

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...022-3rd-odi-deepti-says-it-was-a-plan-1336620

That’s definitely not good and deserved a warning. Now Deepti reckons she did warn her but Heather Knight has just called her a Liar. Which is strong stuff! I suppose it would all have been picked up on mic so let’s see how it pans out. (My money is on the English captain)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Doesn't ever batter do it? it's called backing up I was taught this at school never once was it describes as cheating like its being called by Indian fans.
For me it's pretty low, how ofter do bowlers try this?? I played for over 25 years and didn't see this once.
I suspect if someone ran one of indias stars out in this was it would be a different story all to gether.

Last edited:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting analogy, one that we could discuss for an eternity I suspect. My take is that Broad was within his rights to play to the umpire, even once he knew he had been the beneficiary of an absolute howler - after all, there is a DRS in place for the opposition to challenge, and its not his fault they had burned their reviews*. Its a big step from that to deliberately conning an opposing player as Sharma did.

* There is an argument about walking here. I spent half my career as a confirmed walker, even when I knew there were some clubs with...shall we say cooperative umpires - until I was given out on 98 caught behind to a ball I missed by about a foot; even that I'd take, but for the wicketkeeper, a friendly acquaintance, admitting as I walked off that he knew I was nowhere near it, but that he had no intention of withdrawing the appeal because, why would you.

Looks like Broad wadded in and had to defend himself. He is alright since 99% of people don’t walk (best to keep quiet rather than look like KP or Piers Morgan)
https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...eepti-sharma-for-run-out-101664079170202.html

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Doesn't ever batter do it? it's called backing up I was taught this at school never once was it describes as cheating like its being called by Indian fans.
For me it's pretty low, how ofter do bowlers try this?? I played for over 25 years and didn't see this once.
I suspect if someone ran one of indias stars out in this was it would be a different story all to gether.

I agree .. it was always taught as ‘backing up’ rather than stealing a run…

Btw this is how the stars do it ..

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lanci had a great day against Surrey in an irrelevant match. 414/5 but expect it will be a draw

Question for Mudball and Fundy plus other knowledgeable cricket fans on here. How close is Keaton Jennings to going on an Overseas Tour this winter?