The Cricket Thread

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well if you named that test squad before it was announced I doff my cap to you lol

Touring Pakistan we're only taking one proper spinner and one keeper but two unproven middle order batsmen who fit the Bazball mould and who bowl a bit of part time spin, one of who has played a grand total of zero red ball games this summer. Surprised to see Anderson going (I guess they wanted one of them and Broads staying at home for his kids birth). Optimistic to think Wood will still be fit after a T20 WC too

Grizzly

Visit site
Its a really odd squad, I genuinely can't make head nor tail of it. Unless they are seriously thinking of ditching Brook to play both, I can only assume they are looking at Livingstone or more likely Jacks at seven and only two seamers plus Stokes, which makes Wood a massive punt and Overton not much less of one.

No huge issues with any of the decisions individually, but as a collective....

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its a really odd squad, I genuinely can't make head nor tail of it. Unless they are seriously thinking of ditching Brook to play both, I can only assume they are looking at Livingstone or more likely Jacks at seven and only two seamers plus Stokes, which makes Wood a massive punt and Overton not much less of one.

No huge issues with any of the decisions individually, but as a collective....

one theory is one of jacks/livingstone will bat at 8 as the 2nd spinner. 6 batters, foakes, livingstone, leach, anderson and wood

its certainly different.....

Grizzly

Visit site
one theory is one of jacks/livingstone will bat at 8 as the 2nd spinner. 6 batters, foakes, livingstone, leach, anderson and wood

its certainly different.....

Yes, my initial reaction was Jennings, Crawley, Pope, Root, Brook, Stokes, Jacks, Foakes, Leach, Robinson, Anderson. It adds some ballast to the batting but...is Jacks materially better with the ball that Joe Root? First Class records would tend to suggest not.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, my initial reaction was Jennings, Crawley, Pope, Root, Brook, Stokes, Jacks, Foakes, Leach, Robinson, Anderson. It adds some ballast to the batting but...is Jacks materially better with the ball that Joe Root? First Class records would tend to suggest not.

Ive not seen much of him bowl but the old man whos seen him a few times for Surrey was less than complimentary

That we even think only taking one front line spinner and one keeper to pakistan is an option is eye opening (and shows just how bare the cupboard is).

One bad tackle in the pre game footie and Duckett will be keeping to Jacks in the 15th over of a test match lol

Grizzly

Visit site
Ive not seen much of him bowl but the old man whos seen him a few times for Surrey was less than complimentary

That we even think only taking one front line spinner and one keeper to pakistan is an option is eye opening (and shows just how bare the cupboard is).

One bad tackle in the pre game footie and Duckett will be keeping to Jacks in the 15th over of a test match lol

I've seen him a few times - I think he is the kind of bowler who can do a job in one day cricket but I really struggle to see him taking wickets, or keeping batsmen quiet, in Test cricket - and really, on pitches that offer pace for the new ball and not much else whilst day five, containment has to be key.

As for the cupboards...Patterson-White at Notts looks a decent bowler, and if Surrey ever stopped buying talent from outside and just played Virdi and Moriarty they are both potentially quality options.

Last edited:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great play by the Irish today to knock out WI who were ?
We were in Nelson NZ Saxton Oval,in 2015 Cricket World Cup when Ireland beat W. indies. Gayle, Bravo playing for W.I. Both scored over 300. tremendous atmosphere that day. We have family there and we stayed at the same Hotel as WI. Had my pic taken with Clive Lloyd. Great memories.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
England having their own Catch of the Tournament competition in just one match. Livingstone, Rashid and Buttler all taking absolute stormers. Moeen Ali must be a little disappointed that his very good catch won't even get talked about.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For anybody who has not seen and does not know the result I suggest you watch The India V Pakistan 20/20 today

travelling in India today… country was on standstill .. everyone gave up with 3 or so over to go. King Kohli indeed. You could just see that it was pure adrenaline when someone is in that zone.. incredible spectacle of sport. Fireworks went off everywhere.

I have an indian friend in the MCG today. The whatsapp videos have to be seen to be believed. The feeling is that India has won the World Cup.

The number of times that matches swung either way… Would love to see some more such close matches

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
travelling in India today… country was on standstill .. everyone gave up with 3 or so over to go. King Kohli indeed. You could just see that it was pure adrenaline when someone is in that zone.. incredible spectacle of sport. Fireworks went off everywhere.

I have an indian friend in the MCG today. The whatsapp videos have to be seen to be believed. The feeling is that India has won the World Cup.

The number of times that matches swung either way… Would love to see some more such close matches[/QUOTE]

dont worry you will, its called the IPL effect lol

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site