The Cricket Thread

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
KP was very clear in his condemnation of the county game , calling it poor and lacking in talent and a waste of time

He didn’t like the fact he was challenged when they questioned him about the 100 being played during prone England cricket season and it was his normal deflected response of “money” and “excitement” and “growing the game” - and again didn’t like to be told that we already had that with the T20 Blast

The nan clearly still has his head up his own rear and will always be not interested in franchise cricket - something which will never work in England and will ruin the county game

The ECB and Mr Harrison need to take an inward look at themselves because the blame sits with them

Looks like the Cricketer agrees with your assessment

1648560573756.png

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well great effort from England - prob the wrong choice at the toss but too many wickets dropping , brilliant from Sciver

Horror decision at the toss (no surprise Nasser was on the premises lol), compounded by England bowling way too short too often, especially to Haynes, but dont think it would have made much difference, in the 50 over format the Aussies are a much better team and deserved winners.

Cracking effort in response from Sciver (albeit it was her who dropped Healey earlier)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Australia showed why they are the best side around. Was it the wrong choice? Bat and struggle and it's all over so I can see why they decided to bowl and try and keep the score to a reachable target but Healey played a career innings. Great effort to get as close as they did

D

Deleted member 3432

Looks like Root has over bowled Stokes again....

Awaiting scan on his dodgy knee.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Root has resigned as captain. He gave his best but I think its long accepted he wasn't the sharpish in certain scenarios.

Who replaces him? Stokes? Bairstow? Cook? ?

Uncertain times.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Root has resigned as captain. He gave his best but I think its long accepted he wasn't the sharpish in certain scenarios.

Uncertain times.
It can't be Stokes. Physically and mentally he is not robust enough. He needs to look after himself without the added baggage of the captaincy.

I have no idea who could do it but we are in new broom territory, new coach, new captain and so this gives the coach a chance to pick someone fresh who they can work with, have similar ideas with. Root as captain was not working, not changing because we didn't have an obvious alternative was never a great answer.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

Uncertain times.

There really is no obvious successor. They either go for a current Test player without obvious captaincy credentials, or a natural leader who perhaps isn’t up to Test standard. I don’t see a simple solution.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fair play to Root, think he'd have gone sooner if there had been a viable alternative the last year or two

Maybe time to pick your 11 and put names in the hat before each game till we find one that works ;)

phillarrow

Visit site
There really is no obvious successor. They either go for a current Test player without obvious captaincy credentials, or a natural leader who perhaps isn’t up to Test standard. I don’t see a simple solution.

I think it's time to go for the best leader, out of the bunch who may not be quite up to test standard. Stick him to bat at six or seven and let him lead and inspire others by his leadership ability, as opposed to hoping that his batting ability will drag poorer players up.

A Mike Brierly type character, rather than a Joe Root.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it's time to go for the best leader, out of the bunch who may not be quite up to test standard. Stick him to bat at six or seven and let him lead and inspire others by his leadership ability, as opposed to hoping that his batting ability will drag poorer players up.

A Mike Brierly type character, rather than a Joe Root.

Ive heard this a fair bit but when push comes to shove no one can actually name who it is