The Cricket Thread

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I think it's time to go for the best leader, out of the bunch who may not be quite up to test standard. Stick him to bat at six or seven and let him lead and inspire others by his leadership ability, as opposed to hoping that his batting ability will drag poorer players up.

A Mike Brierly type character, rather than a Joe Root.

I tend to agree. What Brearley lacked in ability he more than made up for with his man management skills. I’m still not sure who the best candidate is, though!

phillarrow

Visit site
Ive heard this a fair bit but when push comes to shove no one can actually name who it is

I don't know enough about county cricket to suggest anyone, but what a sad state of affairs if there's no obvious candidates out there from all those first class counties.

I do wonder if we'll look back on this period and see it as the beginning of the end of test cricket? I know people have said that for a long time, but it does appear that the standard of long-game cricketers is just getting worse and worse nowadays.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't know enough about county cricket to suggest anyone, but what a sad state of affairs if there's no obvious candidates out there from all those first class counties.

I do wonder if we'll look back on this period and see it as the beginning of the end of test cricket? I know people have said that for a long time, but it does appear that the standard of long-game cricketers is just getting worse and worse nowadays.

sadly think we are well past the beginning :(

the 2 names ive seen mentioned from outside the current test team are Vince and Billings - neither strike me as red ball tactical genius material lol

D

Deleted member 15344

sadly think we are well past the beginning :(

the 2 names ive seen mentioned from outside the current test team are Vince and Billings - neither strike me as red ball tactical genius material lol

Vince , Billings and Burns are three obvious choices

Think Stokes would actually buck the trend in regards the best player ( all rounder ) being the captain

Think Abell is going to a great captain for us but we have had a shocking start

They need to sort out the coach etc situation first

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Vince , Billings and Burns are three obvious choices

Think Stokes would actually buck the trend in regards the best player ( all rounder ) being the captain

Think Abell is going to a great captain for us but we have had a shocking start

They need to sort out the coach etc situation first

if theyre the obvious ones bring on the left field ones imho :)

fwiw i expect Bairstow may be offered it on the basis of being about the only other player they refuse to leave out lately

D

Deleted member 15344

well that was a bit nervy at Taunton lol, 4/4 then 60/8 chasing 84 and got em 9 down :eek:

Sorry but the season hasn’t started yet - this is just warm ups ? - at least the bowlers have woken up - just need the batsmen next

Hope things change Match figures so far 6 for 88 from 53 overs. That is a tidy bowling spell for a leggy. However Crompton the last time I looked had scored 20 from 120+ balls.

He did exactly what you want from a spinner , held down an end and also got the break through with some big wickets

They clearly don’t trust Leach so Parkinson needs to be given a chance and good run at it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bold move given the issues he’s had over the last few years.
Hope it works out and doesn’t ruin him as both a cricketer and a person.
This with knobs on. I'm hugely surprised, not from a talent point of view, but from his physical and mental wellbeing. Let's hope the captaincy does not become too great a weight and the management are able to support him succesfully.

Have the bubbles ended now? That alone must be a huge weight lifted off all international players if they have. They were a heck of a burden.