The Cricket Thread

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Bold move given the issues he’s had over the last few years.
Hope it works out and doesn’t ruin him as both a cricketer and a person.

I can’t help thinking this is a huge mistake. Huge. But given the almost total absence of alternatives it was pretty inevitable.

England have been there, done that when it comes to appointing their talisman as captain. Three times, with Botham, Flintoff and KP. And on each occasion it was pretty much an unmitigated cock up. I firmly believe that all-rounders like Stokes have enough to focus on without the additional burden, a considerable one at this time, of dragging English Test cricket out of the gutter.

Throw into the mix his self-confessed recent mental health issues and this has disaster written all over it. I hope I’m proved wrong.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think this is the right move

Yes it didn’t work with Botham and Flintoff but I think there is something different about Stokes - his recent mental health issues and with his dad I think will stand him in a good position

Think the move is going to surprise a few

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Think its a bad choice personally but desperately hope Im wrong, if not then English test cricket is going to be reaching new depths :( Feels as though a case of no other options as others have said

Not a fan of all rounders as captain, worry about Stokes physical fitness and subsequent availability (especially if he continues playing all 3 formats), dont think he is a natural captain based on what ive seen in the past and would prefer he focussed on batting/bowling! Thats without talking about a certain event off the field in the past.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think its a bad choice personally but desperately hope Im wrong, if not then English test cricket is going to be reaching new depths :( Feels as though a case of no other options as others have said

Not a fan of all rounders as captain, worry about Stokes physical fitness and subsequent availability (especially if he continues playing all 3 formats), dont think he is a natural captain based on what ive seen in the past and would prefer he focussed on batting/bowling! Thats without talking about a certain event off the field in the past.....

Totally agree and a sad indication of where the test team is and how the lack of succession planning has come back to roost. Too many knee jerks reactions and players brought in and discarded and no planning even as far back as when Root was appointed. I think this will impact Stokes ability on the pitch and be a burden off it he doesn't need

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe Stokes' (and Rob Key's) first move should be getting the failures from this winter playing some red ball cricket in the County Championship. It's no good the management blaming the lack of red ball cricket available and then not getting the players to play in the matches that are being played. It is weeks since they returned from the West indies and the next Test isn't until 2 June so they can't use the excuse that players are tired and need to rest. At this rate they will be moaning the players aren't match ready when we lose in spectacular fashion against the Kiwis!

D

Deleted member 15344

The rent a mouth that is KP has used it as a reason for Franchise county cricket - ? end

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can’t help thinking this is a huge mistake. Huge. But given the almost total absence of alternatives it was pretty inevitable.

England have been there, done that when it comes to appointing their talisman as captain. Three times, with Botham, Flintoff and KP. And on each occasion it was pretty much an unmitigated cock up. I firmly believe that all-rounders like Stokes have enough to focus on without the additional burden, a considerable one at this time, of dragging English Test cricket out of the gutter.

Throw into the mix his self-confessed recent mental health issues and this has disaster written all over it. I hope I’m proved wrong.

Hard to argue with this really, also adding into the mix Stokes's recent injury record. Lack of candidates forced the hand. He has come along way since his public trial and I hope for Eng cricket, it works out.