The Cricket Thread

Grizzly

Visit site
Marshall was lethal

Remember watching him in the 80’s down in Taunton and seeing Viv face him

It’s a shame that they don’t produce the likes of him - Roberts , Holding , Croft , Walsh and of course big Joel Garner

Not just them - Curtley Ambrose, Wayne Daniel, Winston Davis, Franklyn Stephenson...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pity they can’t work out some sort of wickets x average to work out who has the better record. I know they mention strike rate plus average to show who are the top t20 batsmen and would be good to see something similar for bowlers
That sort of discussion is why pubs were invented 😄.

@Grizzly makes a great point about Hoggard. You also have to take into account the type of pitches played on, why Indian bowlers other than spinners rarely appear on these lists. Too many variables, hence why the bar is the only place this can be decided 🍻

Grizzly

Visit site
Could go on for ages- Patterson , Bishop

Hall was supposed to be the best of them all

I'm not old enough to have seen Hall, Charlie Griffith and the like bowl, but my late Dad had the chance to play against many of them when they Pro'd in the northern leagues and he spoke of the pace, even on a sluggish deck, being quite frightening. Worth bearing in mind for comparisons that they played their cricket with the old back foot no ball rule, which enabled them to get much closer to the batsman than someone like Holding or Marshall would have done. Selecting an all time West Indies attack would be a very good way to enjoy a good bottle of rum, it has to be said.

Grizzly

Visit site
Was lucky enough to sit down and interview him a few years ago at the British Par 3 after he released a book. Very nice gentleman and a great story teller of his cricketing days on both the county and test circuit

One of those players where you wonder what he might have achieved had he not chosen to tour South Africa during apartheid. I remember "his" match against Yorkshire - 11 wickets and two centuries and still on the losing side!

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Decent first T20

Great innings from Buttler with a few decent knocks supporting

Then apart form a little stand the bowling unit looked good - great to see Archer back and hitting 90mph with ease

World Cup starts next week

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
I haven't played and cricket in over a decade... was amused today when my cricketing neighbour told me that scoring is done on an App, and he's not seen a scorebook in ages!

I shouldn't be suprised, but crikey, no scorebook?🤣🤣
When I used to score, home games were a pain, app on the iPad, scorebook and scoreboard to look after.
A lot of teams in the top leagues use both.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I used to score, home games were a pain, app on the iPad, scorebook and scoreboard to look after.
A lot of teams in the top leagues use both.
I haven't played and cricket in over a decade... was amused today when my cricketing neighbour told me that scoring is done on an App, and he's not seen a scorebook in ages!

I shouldn't be suprised, but crikey, no scorebook?🤣🤣

We are 100% on play cricket, except a few places who insist on scorebooks but these are generally lower league or B teams.. play cricket does everything and everyone can see player stats at the end of the season.

School started using NXSports app . Its £7 and I refuse to pay for it, so no idea what is happening

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
We are 100% on play cricket, except a few places who insist on scorebooks but these are generally lower league or B teams.. play cricket does everything and everyone can see player stats at the end of the season.

School started using NXSports app . Its £7 and I refuse to pay for it, so no idea what is happening
Always liked doing the book, with all the balls and different colours for the bowlers.
One game I almost run out of colours as they bowled 9 players 😂

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting to compare the differing styles that Jofra Archer and Mark Wood have to bowl fast. Archer looks almost effortless in his approach to bowling 90mph, whereas Wood looks as if he's putting in a lot more effort to get to those speeds.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Why does Eoin Morgan feel the need to shout his commentary? Is it supposed to appear more exciting if you're bellowing at the top of your voice? On the other hand, Stuart Broad has fitted in very well.

I thought when Broad started to get involved a year or so ago that he had a decent future in broadcasting.

Agree re Morgan. Way too loud.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Broad is very good - cricket both on Sky and 5live have very good line ups , Talksport - not so much

That ball from Wood for the wicket was a snorter, Rashid been on the spot as well - can’t be easy in the cold wet conditions for him

Grizzly

Visit site
Morgan, Vaughan and indeed Anderson, are proof that being decent at the game does not make you decent at talking about it.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Morgan, Vaughan and indeed Anderson, are proof that being decent at the game does not make you decent at talking about it.

I cannot abide Michael Vaughan. Morgan is a decent enough fella, knows his stuff but is very excitable in the commentary box. Not really listened too much to Anderson.