The Cricket Thread

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A county championship game called off before a ball is bowled because they are trying to start the season on April the 6th, to accomodate the white elephant that so far has lost £60m over 2 years and ensures that no proper cricket is played in this country in august at the height of summer.

Utterly ******** ridiculous
No matches have been abandoned, no play today at Somerset but still a valid rant :)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Some win by Leicestershire at Headingley. Having not won a single first class fixture last season they’ve just chased down 392 to win by 3 wickets.

IJames

Visit site
Saw a picture of Michael Parkinson with Dickie Bird today. MP whilst 88:and looking well hardly recognisable. Cannot download the pic sorry.
Dickie, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have aged at all - he's always looked 90! Both far more acceptable Barnsley and Yorkshire ambassadors than Geoffrey Boycott! Here's a recent conversation between the 3 of them

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dickie, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have aged at all - he's always looked 90! Both far more acceptable Barnsley and Yorkshire ambassadors than Geoffrey Boycott! Here's a recent conversation between the 3 of them
I grew up in Barnsley, wife was born there and family still live there. Dickie has a statue there, posing as he signals a batter is out- they had to raise the plinth as people kept putting things on his raised fingers. He has had cones, condoms and all sorts put on it 🤣

Grizzly

Visit site

We shall have to disagree about Parkinson, who I was unfortunate enough to have some dealings with through club cricket. I found him to be an entitled, pompous tool

IJames

Visit site
We shall have to disagree about Parkinson, who I was unfortunate enough to have some dealings with through club cricket. I found him to be an entitled, pompous tool
Maybe Dicky is the odd one out then! :ROFLMAO: He (MP) was the archetypical gentleman the one time I encountered him - during a round memorable for that and the scenery at Henley a number of yers ago.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Total madness, cricket is a summer sport. we start the Warwickshire over 50s 30th April I wasn't keen on that tbh - June would be a nice

Leicestershire for the title this year
I think the Herts league used to start the end of April and our first friendly games were Easter weekend. Which usually meant the whole team looking like Michelin men as everyone had at least 3 jumpers on😂 fielding the ball was murder esp close. Remember 2 nd slip getting hit square in the balls as he couldn't get his hand out his pockets quick enough 🤣

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are Ireland ready for the move up to Test Cricket? Hammered by an innings in the first test against Sri Lanka and now, after a decent 1st innings by Ireland, Sri Lanka are 650+ and only lost 3 wickets. Shows the massive gulf between those nations who play regularly and the newer nations.
Also, England are playing Ireland in a one off Test as warm up for the Ashes - not sure that match will tell us much

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the Herts league used to start the end of April and our first friendly games were Easter weekend. Which usually meant the whole team looking like Michelin men as everyone had at least 3 jumpers on😂 fielding the ball was murder esp close. Remember 2 nd slip getting hit square in the balls as he couldn't get his hand out his pockets quick enough 🤣

Brill, I got one in the shin a few years back fielding at first slip. great start to the season.

Cricket has changed we used to be more serious and play both bank holiday Mondays as league games and start 1st week of MAY !! glad I'm very part time these days 8 games a season + Knockouts section. unlike the 50 plus games in my prime :) bowling 25 overs a game and opening the batting was fun once. old days you could bowl all the way through. NOT a team game in those days

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are Ireland ready for the move up to Test Cricket? Hammered by an innings in the first test against Sri Lanka and now, after a decent 1st innings by Ireland, Sri Lanka are 650+ and only lost 3 wickets. Shows the massive gulf between those nations who play regularly and the newer nations.
Also, England are playing Ireland in a one off Test as warm up for the Ashes - not sure that match will tell us much

Wonder how many Test teams in history have batted first, made pretty much 500 and then lost by an innings!?

D

Deleted member 15344

James Rew continues to impress , I suspect this years ashes are prob too earlier for him but any issues with Foakes then he is worth a shout. But being at Somerset he will prob be ignored for a good decade or so

D

Deleted member 15344

Two disappointing bits of news this morning

1. Archer out for the summer again with a stress fracture , not sure if he will play red ball cricket again

2. And England make the decision to go backwards by bringing back Bairstow but giving him the gloves 😩🤦‍♂️

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Two disappointing bits of news this morning

1. Archer out for the summer again with a stress fracture , not sure if he will play red ball cricket again

2. And England make the decision to go backwards by bringing back Bairstow but giving him the gloves 😩🤦‍♂️

Agree with point 1 but as an exiled Yorkie, can't agree with point 2. JB is great to watch and just what the game needs