The Cricket Thread

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There’s a fine line between aggressive, entertaining cricket and getting the victory.
I wonder how they will play in the Ashes, I can’t see the fans liking it should they lose them from a winning position.

I love the way England play now. They are always worth watching. It's a breath of fresh air.

You aren't going to win every match being ultra-attacking, but remember this time last year they had won 1 test out of 17. I'm sure the vast majority of fans will accept the odd avoidable defeat like this one.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
There’s a fine line between aggressive, entertaining cricket and getting the victory.
I wonder how they will play in the Ashes, I can’t see the fans liking it should they lose them from a winning position.

I'd take this type of risk-reward style any day over the durge of the Chris Silverwood era, even if it means losing occasionally. We were in control for a chunk of this Test Match and gave NZ a chance with a declaration and enforcing the follow-on. I'm sure in the previous reign we would have batted them out of the game and secured the series winning draw; a practical approach but dull.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd take this type of risk-reward style any day over the durge of the Chris Silverwood era, even if it means losing occasionally. We were in control for a chunk of this Test Match and gave NZ a chance with a declaration and enforcing the follow-on. I'm sure in the previous reign we would have batted them out of the game and secured the series winning draw; a practical approach but dull.

I agree to an extent by they batted and bowled their way to an almost certain win after the first innings, surely there’s now a reset and say we’ve done the hard graft now let’s grind out the result.
All the top teams in history certainly would have won from that situation…I guess.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stokes was what....33 from 116 balls or something? Hardly slogging for the fences.

I didn't see the Harry Brook run out for 0, but I imagine that doesn't happen, and England win at a canter. Win some and lose some.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As a long time listener to Tailenders, I suspect if you've not listened to it, you won't understand what's going on!

Go Well.
Tailenders Live was fun…obviously we didn’t get the podcast ‘in joke’ stuff, and who the heck is this Mattchin Tendulkar bloke…🙄 But more than enough we could get straight off to make it enjoyable.

A lot of fun with Johnny Bairstow guesting and playing along with the p155 being taken over his injury and recovery…good guy; getting Jimmy’s take on the end of the NZ game and what he was thinking and talking with Jack Leach about. And how he loves Wagner 😊 Also Eleanor Oldroyd guesting was fun, for obvious reasons…

We also enjoyed the banter with the audience and the audience singing along to the ‘band’…and the barmy army chanting…and frogs…🙄

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
England have been very poor in this T20 series. Really poor.

Looked like one (or maybe 4 or 5) series too far for some of them recently, not helped with minds being on staying fit for the upcoming money bonanza train series

In tough conditions not to be unexpected and would rather point the finger at the schedule than the individuals personally

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looked like one (or maybe 4 or 5) series too far for some of them recently, not helped with minds being on staying fit for the upcoming money bonanza train series

In tough conditions not to be unexpected and would rather point the finger at the schedule than the individuals personally
Not many of the squad will be playing IPL so can’t blame that. This is not the same squad that played in the World Cup so can’t read a lot into it - apart from there isn’t much strength in depth

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not many of the squad will be playing IPL so can’t blame that. This is not the same squad that played in the World Cup so can’t read a lot into it - apart from there isn’t much strength in depth

At a guess Buttler, Salt, Archer, Curran, Rashid, Ali, Wood all going to the IPL, not to mention those who missed this tour in prep for the IPL!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
County Cricket season starts tomorrow. Lancashire v Surrey on Sky. Real feel in Manchester around 7 degrees. expect rain. Brrr. 6th April, total madness.

If they must have one of these “100 things”!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
County Cricket season starts tomorrow. Lancashire v Surrey on Sky. Real feel in Manchester around 7 degrees. expect rain. Brrr. 6th April, total madness.

I can almost feel the sting of the ball in the field 😳. The sort of day you may not try too hard to stop the rasping shot fizzing just to your side 😄

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
lovely day to field at gully and have them flying at you off the face of the bat lol
I think I'd prefer that to square leg, pull shot, or point for the cut. Somehow it's worse when you see it coming at pace, time to think. At gully it's all about reactions.

I know the ball will lose power the further away you are but it never felt like that to me. I hated fielding 😡

What am I saying, it's going to hurt like hell wherever you are tomorrow 😄

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think I'd prefer that to square leg, pull shot, or point for the cut. Somehow it's worse when you see it coming at pace, time to think. At gully it's all about reactions.

I know the ball will lose power the further away you are but it never felt like that to me. I hated fielding 😡

What am I saying, it's going to hurt like hell wherever you are tomorrow 😄
You were lucky! Remember 2nd June 1975 when Lanci were playing Derbyshire @Buxton and an inch of snow fell.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site

Total madness, cricket is a summer sport. we start the Warwickshire over 50s 30th April I wasn't keen on that tbh - June would be a nice

Leicestershire for the title this year

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A county championship game called off before a ball is bowled because they are trying to start the season on April the 6th, to accomodate the white elephant that so far has lost £60m over 2 years and ensures that no proper cricket is played in this country in august at the height of summer.

Utterly ******** ridiculous

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
A county championship game called off before a ball is bowled because they are trying to start the season on April the 6th, to accomodate the white elephant that so far has lost £60m over 2 years and ensures that no proper cricket is played in this country in august at the height of summer.

Utterly ******** ridiculous

I remember years ago playing a league fixture away from home early in May. The pavilion was a distance from the actual playing area so tables and chairs were set up for scorers and others brave enough to sit around.

I toughed it out for longer than most of my teammates, but only because I had my ski jacket and salopettes in the boot of the car following a trip the previous day to an indoor ski slope. Toasty warm I was, but I looked a bit of a prat.