The Cricket Thread

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This series should have an 'asterisk' associated with it - as being played during/in spite of Covid restrictions!
I don't believe much can really be decided 'negatively', though any outstanding 'positive' contributions (not that there have been any - yet) should certainly be 'appreciated'!

just this series or all the last 18 mths ones?

lets be honest Covid isnt changing the ultimate outcome of the series!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
just this series or all the last 18 mths ones?

lets be honest Covid isnt changing the ultimate outcome of the series!
This one in particular.
Earlier one(s) not so much, but arguable.
jlets be honest Covid isnt changing the ultimate outcome of the series!
Er, how much effective 'warm-up' has England had? Or even 'proper' 1st class matches?
But it was always going to be 'a challenge'!

Btw. As a Kiwi, I'm 'semi independent'!

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
that because it affected the opposition and not us? hows this any different to what say india faced over here?
Very little. Same 'logic' applies - just, seemingly, rather 'higher profile' as an Ashes series, which always seems 'higher profile'!

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Buttler is one of the best white ball batsmen around. Destructive and innovative. He is a very good cricketer but he is not a good enough gloveman for the test game for me.

Englands selection and batting seems to be the main issue though.

Why not play a front line spinner? Lyon has it going sideways at times. Why is Wood not playing. He is different to the rest of the pace attack. The openers are walking wickets. Pope is trying to exert dominance too quickly and making the same mistakes Bairstow was binned for. Stokes now with a niggle too.

Looking nailed on for 2-0 already.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
They almost made it to half way!

Reminded me of a wonderful mini-book called 'NewZild' (or maybe the - earlier - Aussie equivalent 'Let Stalk Strine') that mentions 'Claps!' One of the worst examples being a 'Bang Claps!'

Grizzly

Visit site
Look, the Ashes were a gonner as soon as Archer was ruled out - I mean, England's strategy is "lets take the same bowling attack that failed last time, but with four more years on the clock. While we're at it, stick with the batting too - 'cept for that Ginger kid whose technique we f***** up, no point letting him keep when we can bring in someone manifestly worse, and the good opener who quit". Hardly a surprise is it, especially when Root - great batsman, very solid slipper and halfway decent spinner, remains a god awful skipper?

sunshine

Visit site
Inevitable result. England lasted a lot longer than I expected.

I sense England will be much more positive in the next match. Ashes are gone, but I don't think it will be 5-0.

sunshine

Visit site
Root heavily critical of his bowlers, saying they kept bowling too short and didn't adjust. He's the captain! The bowlers play to his game plan, or do they just work it out for themselves? Is he insinuating he told them to bowl fuller and they ignored him?

Who is he throwing under the bus? Stokes bowled the shortest length...

I don't think the bowling made a difference, England lost this (as usual) due to the fragile top order.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Inevitable result. England lasted a lot longer than I expected.

I sense England will be much more positive in the next match. Ashes are gone, but I don't think it will be 5-0.
I admire your optimism but what do you base that statement on? Unless Malan and Root keep being allowed to bat instead of others, they could take places 1-6 :LOL:, and our bowlers find a way to stop the Aussies I'm seeing nothing in those first two games that suggest anything other than 5-0.

Throw me a crumb of comfort.

D

Deleted member 1147

I admire your optimism but what do you base that statement on? Unless Malan and Root keep being allowed to bat instead of others, they could take places 1-6 :LOL:, and our bowlers find a way to stop the Aussies I'm seeing nothing in those first two games that suggest anything other than 5-0.

Throw me a crumb of comfort.
bad weather for 5 days?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Root heavily critical of his bowlers, saying they kept bowling too short and didn't adjust. He's the captain! The bowlers play to his game plan, or do they just work it out for themselves? Is he insinuating he told them to bowl fuller and they ignored him?

Who is he throwing under the bus? Stokes bowled the shortest length...

I don't think the bowling made a difference, England lost this (as usual) due to the fragile top order.

I also found Root’s comments about the bowling really peculiar. These are international cricketers, two of whom have over 1000 Test wickets between them. Surely they have the ability to bowl to a plan, agreed and communicated with Root? Either they have regressed to the level of park cricketers, ignored the captain, or Root is not being candid with interviewers. I’m not sure which it is.

Totally agree with your comments re the batters, though. If England can’t scrap their way to 350/400+ in a first innings away from home, they haven’t a prayer of winning matches consistently against quality opponents.

This is shaping up to be a truly depressing tour.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Broad and Anderson were great servants of the game for the poms. It is time to thank them and send them on their way to a happy international retirement.

Not playing a front line spinner is a disgrace selection wise.

But. You could have the West Indies attack from the 80’s as your bowling unit and still get smashed because your batsmen aren’t making the runs.

I see a 4-0 series result with a valiant draw thrown in at the G and that’s because rain took a day of play away.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Broad and Anderson were great servants of the game for the poms. It is time to thank them and send them on their way to a happy international retirement.

Not playing a front line spinner is a disgrace selection wise.

But. You could have the West Indies attack from the 80’s as your bowling unit and still get smashed because your batsmen aren’t making the runs.

I see a 4-0 series result with a valiant draw thrown in at the G and that’s because rain took a day of play away.
While I'd concur with the result (at least!), I believe the lack of preparation is the reason. So at least another year before they should go/consider going.