The Cricket Thread

D

Deleted member 3432

Bairstow is back! But won’t take the gloves though.

Crawley back too. Averages 11 in 2021.

Need something special from England in this test.
More likely to lose in 2 days as opposed to 3...?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Yet another appalling start. Both openers in the first two Tests were bad, but they dropped the wrong one for me. Hameed is never a Test opener. Never in a month of Sundays.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It won't change until the structure of the English summer is moved away from 2020 cricket. How can they expect to develop test players when nearly all the 4 day cricket is played in April, may and September?
It might help if the test side actually played 4 day cricket! Most will have played 2/3 games at most this season. How can you practice and improve if you aren’t playing? The fault lies firmly with the ECB and. How they manage the competitions and central contracts

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ray Illingworth died today. RIP. Tough Captain who took England off in an Ashes Test after Snow had hit Terry Jenner and was slightly manhandled. Won the Ashes back and was an uncompromising guy, especially when Chairman of Selectors

I saw 2 days of England v Australia in July 1968 at Headingley, Ray Illingworth took 6 for 87 in the 2nd innings. Some player he was !

Billysboots

Visit site
I’ve just had a quick read through BBC Sport’s feed on the first day at the MCG, and it appears that, not content with us being battered by Australia, those writing the feed are now intent on talking like Aussies as well.

English batters no longer edge behind. The writers now use the expression “nick off”. Talk English for pity’s sake.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
My 6yr old wants to get up early tomorrow and watch the end of day 2, mainly to sing the Barmy Army songs I’ve been teaching her - I’ve said i need to check the child abuse laws before I agree to it.

I went to the MCG for the Boxing Day test in 2006, we’d already lost the series before I got on the plane!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

It won't change until the structure of the English summer is moved away from 2020 cricket. How can they expect to develop test players when nearly all the 4 day cricket is played in April, may and September?

Exactly this. The lack of focus on FCC has come home to roost in Englands Test cricket.

Ok, drop Burns for Crawley in this test, but actually , before this series Burns was our 2nd best batsmen this year after Root....and he's only averaging 30.

Billysboots

Visit site

Exactly this. The lack of focus on FCC has come home to roost in Englands Test cricket.

Ok, drop Burns for Crawley in this test, but actually , before this series Burns was our 2nd best batsmen this year after Root....and he's only averaging 30.

Spot on re Burns. Not had a good tour by any stretch but, if England had to drop an opener, it should have been Hameed.

Nothing about him says Test match opener. Nothing. Appearance, demeanour, technique all not up to scratch. He’s never going to walk to the crease and make the opposite think they have a scrap on their hands.