The Cricket Thread

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Catching up with the highlights on BT Sport and, just when I thought nothing could depress me more than another meek English capitulation, I had to suffer that insufferable prat David Gower commentating on it.

He simply won’t use one word when several hundred pompous one will do, will he?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
BTW.. what’s with all the all the bandages on Hameed’s fingers… saw him have a shy at the stumps - how can you hold a ball properly? Or is he really a closet wicket keeper?

D

Deleted member 3432

BTW.. what’s with all the all the bandages on Hameed’s fingers… saw him have a shy at the stumps - how can you hold a ball properly? Or is he really a closet wicket keeper?

Chocolate fingers, history of breaking them. If he batted any length of time the Aussie bowlers would have smashed them the way he bats with hands so low on pitches with higher bounce than at home.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looks like rain is falling in the wrong country. India v SA Day 2 (of a proper test match) washed off due to rain. Could it rain in Australia instead..

Listened to some commentary by Sunil Gavaskar (don’t like him).. he was commenting on fast bowlers getting tired in Test matches. He was blaming the 30 ball limit in the nets. If a fast bowler cannot bowl 10-12 overs in the net, how do you expect him to bowl it in the middle….

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Catching up with the highlights on BT Sport and, just when I thought nothing could depress me more than another meek English capitulation, I had to suffer that insufferable prat David Gower commentating on it.

He simply won’t use one word when several hundred pompous one will do, will he?

I wish you'd stop sitting on the fence & tell us what you really think... :)

D

Deleted member 3432

It’s an English problem of thinking you have to pick the best player as captain (in most sports).
Captains are different beasts, and the captaincy can have a negative effect on the player.

To find an alternative Captain we need to find someone who is Test class as a player first. If you eliminate Anderson and Broad as at the end of their careers you are left with Stokes and Woakes who has not been selected for this game.

The majority of the of them wouldn't be anywhere near the team if we had some decent players.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
To find an alternative Captain we need to find someone who is Test class as a player first. If you eliminate Anderson and Broad as at the end of their careers you are left with Stokes and Woakes who has not been selected for this game.

The majority of the of them wouldn't be anywhere near the team if we had some decent players.

If we had ten world class cricketers in the Test side we could maybe accommodate a world class captain if their playing ability didn’t quite cut the mustard. I’m sure most will agree Mike Brearley wasn’t a world class bat.

Unfortunately, this England side doesn’t have that luxury. The next captain, as Root cannot possibly continue beyond this tour, is a massive headache for the decision makers.

D

Deleted member 1147

Agreed
But I’m also referencing our better times

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is probably a stupid question but does the captain have to be playing? I mean, can you have a coach or someone orchestrating things from the sidelines? Would that be against the rules or would it just be too difficult in practice?

they pretty much are anyway Kaz, Root is getting messages constantly from the coaches/analysts, whether theyre the right messages............