The barefaced cheek!

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A few of us from our club played a different course on Friday as ours is closed on bank holidays. Anyway, in our 4 ball we thought we'd pair up and have a match, just a few quid on front 9, back and overall. My partner and I had won the front and overall but were all square playing 18 after losing 17. Anyway, back in the clubhouse after it turns out that one of the guys we were playing was spotted teeing his ball up in the bunker on 17 with a bloody tee!! He even bent down and picked it up after playing his shot! He was spotted by 2 people in the group behind but didn't say anything. The others didn't say anything at the time because they were so shocked. Going up 18 as well he had a mare and I gave him his final put and GeV said down for 5. It was actually a 7! I now wonder what the hell else he did during the round. When challenged afterwards in the bar he didn't deny it, he just looked embarrassed and bluffed something along the lines of it didn't mean anything but then he made his excuses and left because the conversation centred around cheating.

I really wish I'd seen him use a tee in the bunker but there's no way I would have even thought to check! Staggering really, I'm still a little bewildered. We were all talking about it at our club yesterday. Can't see him living this one down...

Anyone else experienced anything similar? Maybe you've teed it up in a bunker before? Is it common?...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
might just be me but i think putting the ball on a tee in the bunker may actually make the shot harder! im sure id just go straight underneath it and leave it in there!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
might just be me but i think putting the ball on a tee in the bunker may actually make the shot harder! im sure id just go straight underneath it and leave it in there!

depends if it was one of these parkland fairway bunkers and if he used a driver:rofl:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I'm with you, can't see how it would help...but then I took 4 to get out of one yesterday so what do I know?

D

Deleted member 16999

When playing for fun with mates, I/we have allowed a free drop away from walls or roots to avoid people damaging clubs in a nothing game, but never heard of or seen someone tee it up in a bunker etc.

Also makes you wonder how many times previously he's done this or just been unlucky to get caught first time.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
More like 'the barefaced cheating bar steward'.

He'd be blackballed from any group I played in, like you say, what else did he get up to that he didn't get spotted doing or called out on.

He could never be trusted again, needs a good whipping with some alignment sticks 😜

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i think he wouldnt be playing golf with me ever again ,and i would make dam sure that everyone in the club knew what he had done.
ive heard of some dodgy doings on the course but this takes the winners rossette by miles .
i cant stand cheats in golf or any sport and would not want to ba associated with them .
what or will you and your club be doing about this ,i know it was only a bounce game but if he is cheating against his mates in a bounce game then wtf will he do in a comp.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
What?! Can't believe this hahah. What does it say about a guy if he's willing to cheat like that in a casual match. No integrity or confidence in his own game. Make me wonder why some folk play at all haha.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I guess that's one way of making sure you don't ground your club in a bunker!!!! Unbelievable........

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've seen a few questionable things down the years but only come across 2 serial cheats. One had a reputation going back years, and had been pulled for it on a number of occasions. Several years ago the club committee called him in and basically said enough is enough.

On the last occasion I played with him I caught him on 3 occasions, twice moving a ball in the rough, and one of those occasions he moved it 40yds. The 3rd time was moving his ball from the back edge of a bunker to the centre.

I conceded our match on 17, saying I felt ill, and then roasted him at gas mark 7 on the walk back in.

He didn't learn, hence before the committee a few weeks later. He struggles to get a game now... not even sure if he hasn't wrapped in recently.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had a serious cheat at our club, he had been pulled several times using the 'leather wedge', he got a competitive ban from the committee but much worse a general refusal to play with him from virtually the whole club membership, he gave up shortly after and moved to the club bar, its a shame as he was a nice guy, but a cheat is a cheat.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Will be interesting to see if he makes an appearance at the weekend. If he was caught cheating like that he'd not be welcome in any of our roll ups where there's money being played for (even if it's only £3 a man). I wonder if he'll come up with some sort of excuse with time to think of one. I'd definitely be keeping an eagle eye on him in comps and pull him if he tries anything at all. If it continues you'd have no choice but to alert the club

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When playing for fun with mates, I/we have allowed a free drop away from walls or roots to avoid people damaging clubs in a nothing game, but never heard of or seen someone tee it up in a bunker etc.

Also makes you wonder how many times previously he's done this or just been unlucky to get caught first time.

This👍

When i I got back into golf four or five years ago, first pit society do I went on was at Forest Pines. The very nice guy who ran it, paired me in a fourball with the legendary Joey Leather wedge. I was asked to keep an eye on him as he and his brother swept the board the year previous. Fantastic, first comp back and I am the one who has to watch him. Problem was he could cheat for England and it bogged me off big style. He never won owt, so nowt was said.
roll on two years and the pit KO comp I ran for 64 lads. Joey LW and the society organiser met up in th second round. Joey got beat 7 and 6 and told the following day he told at the pit, that the organiser was a Bandit.
I wrote a lovely poem taking the Micky about what went off in the game, and posted it up at the pit. He never spoke to me again.