The barefaced cheek!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He's been reading golf monthly.

That's one of the drills in the current edition.

(Though I think the idea is to hit the sand and go under the ball)

I remember a guy who had a party thick of picking his ball up in a bunker and holding it in the back of his hand. He would then play a full shot and release the ball. Even though we knew what he was going to do it looked just like a normal shot.

Last edited:

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had a guy at our club who used to ALWAYS find his ball in the trees and rough. So one day his PP went in first and found his ball without mentioning anything and put it into his pocket. A couple of minutes later the player came in and said he found his ball. Turns out he just dropped one in the rough and pretended he found it. Obviously was called out on it and still doesn't hear the end of it. Wonder how long he had been doing that for, and the chances are he still does it!

He is also known for 4 putting on holes just so his handicap doesn't go down. Cannot stand the man.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never caught anyone as blatant as that.

Come across a few serial miss-counters. Hard to say if it's deliberate or just careless.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never caught anyone as blatant as that.

Come across a few serial miss-counters. Hard to say if it's deliberate of just careless.
Ha, yeah I hate those guys. When they've just been hacking around the trees, in a bunker, two-putt and call a bogey 5. You can't really call them on out, but you're just standing thinking there's no way that can be a 5. :confused:

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well, since then a few more stories of his 'exploits' shall we say, have surfaced...

Needless to say, anyone drawn in a match with him will be watching him like a hawk! Luckily his new partner for the summer 4ball event will not let it pass either, so I know he will be in good hands.

Re the Bank Holiday thing, our course is always closed on Bank Holidays. Cant play golf on the common on Bank Holidays, it's against the conservators laws :-( But we do get free rounds at other courses though so its not all bad.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well, since then a few more stories of his 'exploits' shall we say, have surfaced...

Needless to say, anyone drawn in a match with him will be watching him like a hawk! Luckily his new partner for the summer 4ball event will not let it pass either, so I know he will be in good hands.

Re the Bank Holiday thing, our course is always closed on Bank Holidays. Cant play golf on the common on Bank Holidays, it's against the conservators laws :-( But we do get free rounds at other courses though so its not all bad.

So he's been caught cheating, by the sound of it more than once and he is still being allowed to play in comps? I wouldn't be keeping an eye on him, I'd be flat out refusing to play him.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ha, yeah I hate those guys. When they've just been hacking around the trees, in a bunker, two-putt and call a bogey 5. You can't really call them on out, but you're just standing thinking there's no way that can be a 5. :confused:

I played with a guy many years ago at Hoebridge who hit his ball into some God awful places. It was something like 4 or 5 occasions we rooted around in trees\undergrowth for his ball and each time he found it and not only did he find it, he had a swing and a gap to hit it through. On each occasion neither our other FC or I saw him "find" the ball but neither of us actually saw him do anything wrong. To this day I am convinced he was cheating, you just don't hit your ball in those places that often without at least having to take a drop.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I played with a guy many years ago at Hoebridge who hit his ball into some God awful places. It was something like 4 or 5 occasions we rooted around in trees\undergrowth for his ball and each time he found it and not only did he find it, he had a swing and a gap to hit it through. On each occasion neither our other FC or I saw him "find" the ball but neither of us actually saw him do anything wrong. To this day I am convinced he was cheating, you just don't hit your ball in those places that often without at least having to take a drop.

We use to have a guy off 4 who played with two pensioners who could only hit it 120 yards flat out. He'd spray it to all parts but by the time the old boys had played their shots to catch up to where his ball was he'd always have found it and like this example, it was always in a clearing and with a full swing available. He was known for always rolling up with these two and never playing with anyone off a similar level. In the end the club picked him for a match and he shot 90+. He then went back to his normal group but with the captain and committee keeping a clandestine eye on him around the course and caught him dropping balls or given it the leather wedge. He wasn't seen again

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We use to have a guy off 4 who played with two pensioners who could only hit it 120 yards flat out. He'd spray it to all parts but by the time the old boys had played their shots to catch up to where his ball was he'd always have found it and like this example, it was always in a clearing and with a full swing available. He was known for always rolling up with these two and never playing with anyone off a similar level. In the end the club picked him for a match and he shot 90+. He then went back to his normal group but with the captain and committee keeping a clandestine eye on him around the course and caught him dropping balls or given it the leather wedge. He wasn't seen again
That's shocking!!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Not me, but a mate of mine played with a guy that was like this. The first time he played with him he was suspicious so the second time he watched him closely.

Par 4 with a shot, hits his drive into deepish rough and doesn't bother with a provisional. He went looking for it with his glove screwed up in his hand and when he thought no one was looking, down he went and a ball popped out of his glove.
Mate called him on it straight away and he claimed it was an old ball and he was just throwing it away.

I heard about another guy who putted from the green and hit another ball on the green, and when challenged about it said "they don't play that rule". Sadly it went no further as he was seen by someone not prepared to have the grief over it and was doing rubbish at the time.

I played with the same player a while after and he asked me to hold a tree branch out of his way while he took his shot.

They are definitely out there. :(

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think we all come across it at times but never with regular partners and is so out of order though some incidents stick in my mind particularly.

For some reason in the first comps I have played at two clubs as a new member there has been dubious behaviour, almost as if they know you would be in a difficult position.

One was the classic finding balls no where near where they hit them and in the open which made me very suspicious at the time but first competition at club. After he left I heard on the grapevine he was a serial offender.

He was an unpleasant chap who had his membership cancelled by his wife - when she caught him cheating with another woman !!!

The other incident in my first comp (a stableford), I was uncomfortable with what happened but somewhat different and never come across before, and here he keyed in two scores on the computer where he did not finish the holes - one on each nine.

So it could be an honest error (but twice on one card ?).

Probably the comps team did not check non-winning cards (made it up to 36 points instead of 34) and close scrutiny would show n/r on the card and it was merely a keying error....

The most interesting one, I did not play in and happened at an old club , the talk of the place due to those involved.

Foursomes match, one of them tells his partner off for moving the ball when identifying it along the lines of "I told you last time I would not stand for that again", concedes the match (which they had been winning) and walks off.

His partner however, still went into the bar for a drink with the winning pair so one assumes there were "differing opinions" on what happened, what is allowable, or an awful lot of neck/self denial......