The all things EV chat thread

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure if this one has been covered before..........I was parked up in a car park in my local town this morning, directly opposite 4 charging bays. One was in use and then a large American pick up truck drove into one of the other bays. The truck had been modified so it really was a US style truck and so probably wouldn't fit in a standard parking bay. (For some reason, electric car bays are slightly bigger 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Anyway, apart from being selfish, if this just on a par with people parking in parent and child spaces without a child present or is it an offence? We have a highly active set of traffic wardens in our town and there is no doubt they will see thus truck parked there. Will they give them a ticket?

Just curious.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure if this one has been covered before..........I was parked up in a car park in my local town this morning, directly opposite 4 charging bays. One was in use and then a large American pick up truck drove into one of the other bays. The truck had been modified so it really was a US style truck and so probably wouldn't fit in a standard parking bay. (For some reason, electric car bays are slightly bigger 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Anyway, apart from being selfish, if this just on a par with people parking in parent and child spaces without a child present or is it an offence? We have a highly active set of traffic wardens in our town and there is no doubt they will see thus truck parked there. Will they give them a ticket?

Just curious.
Think it depends who owns/ runs the car park.

Council one he’s in trouble,

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Just curious.

If it was a Tesco car the company that runs then has patrolling officers usually and they would.

In our local one I have watched the guy go up and down the disabled parking bays and ticket those not showing a blue badge and another EV user on the charging bay told me they do the same for those.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it was a Tesco car the company that runs then has patrolling officers usually and they would.

In our local one I have watched the guy go up and down the disabled parking bays and ticket those not showing a blue badge and another EV user on the charging bay told me they do the same for those.

Can someone park an EV in the EV bays but not have it on charge?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Isn't it private land, and therefore legally not enforceable?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seems the gov are back tracking on EV’s
Claimable mileage rate down again to only 8ppm from 9ppm last year and 10pm previous while hybrids and ICE engines see an increase.

With public chargers being exceptionally more expensive per KW, how can the gov expect to drop the mileage rate and still expect fast growth.

Seems a way of clawing back lost tax on paye BIK and fuel taxes

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems the gov are back tracking on EV’s
Claimable mileage rate down again to only 8ppm from 9ppm last year and 10pm previous while hybrids and ICE engines see an increase.

With public chargers being exceptionally more expensive per KW, how can the gov expect to drop the mileage rate and still expect fast growth.

Seems a way of clawing back lost tax on paye BIK and fuel taxes
I aked my accountant about buying an EV/Hybrid through my company. It just isn't worth it unless its zero emmisions and ultra long range.
So I stuck with a new petrol engined one, bought personally.:)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Isn't it private land, and therefore legally not enforceable?
When you go into a privately owned car park provided the owners/car parking company have displayed the information/terms and conditions you need to know clearly they can issue a penalty notice if you fail to abide by them. If you fail to pay that penalty notice the company can pursue you for payment through the courts.

It is worth remembering that if you drive through/ on to privately owned land which is open to the public, such as a supermarket car park, the road traffic acts still apply.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you go into a privately owned car park provided the owners/car parking company have displayed the information/terms and conditions you need to know clearly they can issue a penalty notice if you fail to abide by them. If you fail to pay that penalty notice the company can pursue you for payment through the courts.

It is worth remembering that if you drive through/ on to privately owned land which is open to the public, such as a supermarket car park, the road traffic acts still apply.
But the police or local council wont get involved just becuase a non disabled has parked in a disabled bay.
As for private clampers, it has been said many a time that they cannot compell you to pay up but most do through the fear of the unknown to them.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
No. It's the same as parking in a kids space but not having your kids with you.

I'd expect a ticket

Pretty obvious aswell as your not plugged in

I didnt think parking in a parent and child bay was against any rules, just heavily frowned up on. Whereas parking in a disabled bay was ticketable.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But the police or local council wont get involved just becuase a non disabled has parked in a disabled bay.
As for private clampers, it has been said many a time that they cannot compell you to pay up but most do through the fear of the unknown to them.

The council will if you do it in a council car park.

Yes but private clampers have every right to pursue through the county court and it will mean a CCJ on a person's credit record.

Continue to refuse payment and they get a county court judgement expect a bailiff on the doorstep.

I would add where I live there is little point in parking in a disabled bay without a badge as disabled drivers have to pay the parking fees anyway so such a person might as well park in a 'normal ' bay.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didnt think parking in a parent and child bay was against any rules, just heavily frowned up on. Whereas parking in a disabled bay was ticketable.

My mum came down to see us a couple of weeks ago so I drove us to Tesco to pick up some lunch. The car park was rammed but there were a couple of Parent and Child spaces available so I parked in one. The spaces in our local Morrisons are marked as "Parent and Toddler" but in Tesco it is "Parent and Child" so even though she's in her 70's and I'm nearly 50 I was entitled to park there. (y)

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thought i share my experience. Had my tesla model 3 rwd for 18months. Did 36k miles mainly local driving with couple one day 300 miles trips.
Last weekend was going for 1000 miles round trip to play golf with my mates at the course where I start playing golf.
Was positively surprised with range and charging. Trip was from North of Aberdeen to Shifnal in Shropshire.
Left home with 100% charge, first charge was at Larkhall and it took 11 minutes second one at Penrith/Tebay and that took 17 minutes.
That was all the charging for 460 miles and arrived with 15%, would be higher but spent almost 2h in traffics from Preston to Stoke on Trent.
Hotel I was staying didn't have any chargers so went next day to local supercharger and that took 40 minutes to fully charge the car.
Next charge was on Sunday on the way back at Chorley took 10 minutes and the final one was at Larkhall 22 minutes.
Next time will probably book hotel with charging facility apart from that it was smooth drive.