Plug In Hybrid Cars - Experiences?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
been thinking about it, but the range of any of the cars i like or for that matter afford the range is pretty poor. looks like i will just be getting a diesel again. up here its still not practical, unless you only want a runnaround

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
been thinking about it, but the range of any of the cars i like or for that matter afford the range is pretty poor. looks like i will just be getting a diesel again. up here its still not practical, unless you only want a runnaround
These are hybrid so the distance on battery is about 40 miles but then you have the distance from the petrol engine to add to that as well.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a prius plug in. Before that I had a diesel car. I used to spend £240 a month on fuel. Now I spend about £30 on electric. Since I got it in march I haven't put fuel in it.
It does help that my place of work and golf course have free charging points

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
In a hybrid?
yes the passate Est was 27 miles on the battery i think, i suppose its OK for short trips around town, but i would be charging it all the time, may as we just have a petrol eng if you are going to be using petrol anyway?

there's very few charging points around here, love to get a hybrid or the like but cost and logistic of charging it too much hassle

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
sure i get that, but i'd be running it on the petrol engine all the time so what would be the point ?
You probably do more trips of 40 miles and under than you think. Not only that but even if you drive 100 miles a day the first 40 is electric. 40 miles on a average car is £5 of diesel. It would be 70p in electric. Surely you wouldn't turn your nose up at a saving of £4.30 a day?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
sure i get that, but i'd be running it on the petrol engine all the time so what would be the point ?
It depends how far your individual journeys are. If you are just going local, it would be on electric nearly all the time. If you go further then it would go to petrol and, on the correct setting, recharge the battery. From the reviews, the car tries to run on battery whenever possible. There are different settings as to how the car moves between battery and petrol.
You can charge it at home even from your own 3-pin socket. And on longer journeys you can get the car to re-charge the battery.
For me, the big point is the massive saving I will make on Company Car tax.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It depends how far your individual journeys are. If you are jut going local, it would be on electric nearly all the time. If you go further then it would go to petrol and, on the correct setting, recharge the battery. From the reviews, the car tries to run on battery whenever possible. For me, the big point is the massive saving I will make on Company Car tax.
The charge battery function whilst on petrol actually drastically decreases the petrol mpg making it pointless. Its a feature designed to charge the battery if your empty on battery but you know you're going to be entering a green charge zone.
On the most economic setting my Car will charge the main battery when I'm at the correct revs but even on a big journey its a small amount

Robster59

Tour Rookie
The charge battery function whilst on petrol actually drastically decreases the petrol mpg making it pointless. Its actually a feature to charge the battery if your empty on battery but you know you're going to be entering a green charge zone
It doesn't just use the petrol engine, it also uses brake energy recovery, but I get your point. In Scotland at least there are lots of electric charging points in the major cities so even charging whilst I am out shouldn't be too difficult.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesn't just use the petrol engine, it also uses brake energy recovery, but I get your point. In Scotland at least there are lots of electric charging points in the major cities so even charging whilst I am out shouldn't be too difficult.
Like you it saves us a fortune as my wife is in the higher tax bracket and a diesel car would cost us £365 in tax alone. Almost feels like theft when I top my battery up for free. The tesler is arriving in November so I'll be rinsing the belfrys charging points ?