Plug In Hybrid Cars - Experiences?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, that's been out for about a year.
I doubt it will get near Tesla though, they're just too far ahead.

Just out of interest, how many petrol stations are there in Morpeth, not counting Morrisons?
Diddy in comparison but hopefully the start of things to come for them and other mfrs.

Based on the same geographical area as I restricted the charging points to, 1 other petrol station. That just shows how well refuelling works, how well it would work for hydrogen as well. I filled up on my way home last night,not in morpeth as it happens. In and out in around 2-3 minutes.

Behaviour is going to have to change, no problem with that. Fossil fuels are very, very convenient though and anyone without a drive is going to take an awful lot of convincing until that range level increases. Hopefully not too far away.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I filled up on my way home last night,not in morpeth as it happens. In and out in around 2-3 minutes.
How much did that cost?
If you had nipped into Lidl in Bedlington, you could have filled up an EV while you did a bit of shopping and you wouldn't have wasted 2-3 minutes and all that money, standing in the freezing cold holding a cold petrol pump. :whistle:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How much did that cost?
If you had nipped into Lidl in Bedlington, you could have filled up an EV while you did a bit of shopping and you wouldn't have wasted 2-3 minutes and all that money, standing in the freezing cold holding a cold petrol pump. :whistle:
Nipping to Bedlington would have added around an extra 25-30 minutes on my commute, to take me to a shop I didn't need to go to and would then have to spend another 30 minutes in waiting for the car to charge, assuming no one else was on the charger at that moment. Instead, I pulled off the road I was driving along, spent 2 minutes holding a petrol pump and got home an hour earlier than if I wanted to charge in Bedlington. You need to look at a map of Northumberland if you are going to play this game :LOL:. It would be less out of my way to go to Ashington but there is no way I want to spend 30 minutes in Ashington :eek::eek:. Grim doesn't cover it if you are killing time there.

As it happens, I have a drive so could get a charger installed at home. I do see in Morpeth a significant number of houses and flats that have no drives and would be entirely reliant on charging on street, not possible at all at the moment, or at one of these rare charging points. I know it seems as though I am being a little awkward but what I am trying to do is show how completely inadequate the set up is right now for many ordinary people. The govt are putting the cart before the horse and until we start seeing major additions in chargers, not just 2 in a car park of 370 spaces, then progress will be limited.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Nipping to Bedlington would have added around an extra 25-30 minutes on my commute, to take me to a shop I didn't need to go to and would then have to spend another 30 minutes in waiting for the car to charge, assuming no one else was on the charger at that moment. Instead, I pulled off the road I was driving along, spent 2 minutes holding a petrol pump and got home an hour earlier than if I wanted to charge in Bedlington. You need to look at a map of Northumberland if you are going to play this game :LOL:. It would be less out of my way to go to Ashington but there is no way I want to spend 30 minutes in Ashington :eek::eek:. Grim doesn't cover it if you are killing time there.

As it happens, I have a drive so could get a charger installed at home. I do see in Morpeth a significant number of houses and flats that have no drives and would be entirely reliant on charging on street, not possible at all at the moment, or at one of these rare charging points. I know it seems as though I am being a little awkward but what I am trying to do is show how completely inadequate the set up is right now for many ordinary people. The govt are putting the cart before the horse and until we start seeing major additions in chargers, not just 2 in a car park of 370 spaces, then progress will be limited.

Apologies, I don't know your commute route, I only know Bedlington is 4 miles from Morpeth, and if your going shopping anyway why not fill up while you're there.
All irrelevant of course as you have a drive at your house.
Did you know you can get a £500 grant towards having a charger installed at your home? and if you charge overnight at half price tariff,
thats about £2 for 100 miles or 300mpg

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apologies, I don't know your commute route, I only know Bedlington is 4 miles from Morpeth, and if your going shopping anyway why not fill up while you're there.
All irrelevant of course as you have a drive at your house.
Did you know you can get a £500 grant towards having a charger installed at your home? and if you charge overnight at half price tariff,
thats about £2 for 100 miles or 300mpg
No need to apologise, all good fun and I do get your point. We need to change mindest, that is a big part of the transition to electric. I do too many long journeys at the moment to warrant an electric car but once the range starts to extend I am up for it. If I could afford a Tesla, no finding one of your 4 yr old models with 100k on the clock :D, then that would do the job but it is not financially viable right now. We just need the other mfrs to produce family cars, with a Tesla range at an equivalent price to fossil fuel cars. Not going to happen right now but hopefully will do soon.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
As far as I can see at the moment, the way forward may well be "wireless charging" - top up the car's batteries while driving over chargers under the road surface. The technology is already there.

I can see the trolley bus coming back as well - particularly in heavily polluted towns and cities.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Didn’t the budget yesterday state the aim was for everyone to be within 30 miles of a charging point?
If that is the case, that’s not very practical.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I thought I'd ressurect this instead of starting a new one. The time has come for me to change my company car and Hybrids are amongst the options. I currently run a Skoda Superb 2.0 litre diesel and to move to the new Superb IV hybrid will save me about £2k a year on company car tax alone! There are other hybrid options but in terms of bangs for the buck, and boot space, the Superb is a no-brainer. Any personal mileage is mainly done locally and any long mileages done by business are covered by the company via a fuel card. So I just pay for my own personal use. Apparently the monthly mileage claim is a bit more complex but the company has the calcs to sort that out.
I will be using it to pull a caravan maybe 4-5 times a year so that is when the lower fuel consumption will impact on me but otherwise, I can't see a reason not to go for it.
Give this thread is from the start of the year, I wonder if anyone had any updates or further thoughts?
Thanks in advance. (y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought I'd ressurect this instead of starting a new one. The time has come for me to change my company car and Hybrids are amongst the options. I currently run a Skoda Superb 2.0 litre diesel and to move to the new Superb IV hybrid will save me about £2k a year on company car tax alone! There are other hybrid options but in terms of bangs for the buck, and boot space, the Superb is a no-brainer. Any personal mileage is mainly done locally and any long mileages done by business are covered by the company via a fuel card. So I just pay for my own personal use. Apparently the monthly mileage claim is a bit more complex but the company has the calcs to sort that out.
I will be using it to pull a caravan maybe 4-5 times a year so that is when the lower fuel consumption will impact on me but otherwise, I can't see a reason not to go for it.
Give this thread is from the start of the year, I wonder if anyone had any updates or further thoughts?
Thanks in advance. (y)
I ultimately bought my lease 2.0d Superb but had I not also owned the company and so have to pay the higher leasing costs I would have been all over the Superb hybrid. It is the standout car of its type and the compromise you may have to make, if any, is negligible. As you are not personally picking up the lease cost, only benefitting from the reduced BIK it looks a slam dunker.

I check out a Skoda forum every so often and the comments are still generally positive. Go for it (y)