The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
but what do you get week to week travelling from home.

My home to home costs are £2-3 a week that's roughly £4-6 for 400 miles.

Yeah my 50 mile to work and back is £1 a day if I don't get to charge at work.

We left bath at 9am. 90% battery, stopped at reading just now. 4 gridserve bays free (and bp pulse available) however we have 63% battery left .. plenty left in the battery for the last 85 miles of the drive

Motorway cruising speed of 70 aswell. Air con and radio on..car fully loaded with kids and cases

None of this "you can't use the air con" rubbish

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That sums it up perfectly.
For those who can't charge at home and will have to rely on public chargers, things are improving all the time with another 1,642 chargers installed in April.
Even Sainsburys is joining in on the fun...

So much unnecessary negativity towards EVs from the press and general public misunderstanding information about them.

We got home .. 2 stops for Wees (10 mins each stop for the girls) didn't charge either time but first place had 4 chargers all available (and another charge station) second services (south mimms) dunno how many available however there were about 20-30 chargers!!! I had to go find a space normal space as didn't want to block one (altho saw one EV not charging and one ice parked in one. I'd fine them both)

Pleasant drive. 3 hours 15 mins total for a 2 hours 50 journey .. no charging needed

Started 90% got home 25% left which is enough if we wanted to go out. But it's plugged in. Asked for 70% to be added to get me to 95% by 7am..been mapped 2330-0630 so will be back to normal by the morning for under £3.50

Did use slightly more charge coming home than when I did the other day (63% other day 65% today) however the M4 is 5 mile longer route and more route at 70 so I'm very impressed

We didn't hold back at 60 just drove as normal

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Around 55mpg with no range anxiety or wondering when/where I have to get fuel from every three or four weeks.
Oh, and only three minutes to fill up every third or fourth week.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Around 55mpg with no range anxiety or wondering when/where I have to get fuel from every three or four weeks.

I had zero range anxiety driving home 155 miles at motorway speeds with the air con on with plenty of charge left

You have a driveway no? So really just making excuses.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I've just worked out for both cars since they arrived

Between them they have covered 3352 miles

£16.84 home charging (£3.40 ISH to go in tonight)

Public charging £56.51

£73.35 total

2p a mile

I'll take that

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
VW T Cross £26000.
Nearest eq almost £40k.
Until that changes it’s a no from me.
The Peugeot E-2008 is a pretty close equivalent...
50mm lower
177mm longer
6mm narrower
Road tax £220 less
Cost £24949

Untitledcccc.jpg
I understand the specs may be different but certainly well under £40,000 and £3526 cheaper than the petrol VW T Cross

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Peugeot E-2008 is a pretty close equivalent...
50mm lower
177mm longer
6mm narrower
Road tax £220 less
Cost £24949

View attachment 53179
I understand the specs may be different but certainly well under £40,000 and £3526 cheaper than the petrol VW T Cross

As someone who's owned a stellious made car I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Real poor build quality. Not very efficient either

I'd highly recommend Kia or Hyundai models

Or the VW models their pretty good

Skoda one is very well made

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ah! a politician who avoids answering the question with an answer to an unasked question.

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
However we know their not for you so who exactly are you trying to convince? Yourself?

Just trying to offer an opposing view which, no doubt, you'll dismiss in a heartbeat.
I sometimes think you regard everything anti EV as pure propoganda, but I'm probably wrong there, too.

You go over the same things time and time again, so who, exactly, are you tring to convice? Yourself?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just trying to offer an opposing view which, no doubt, you'll dismiss in a heartbeat.
I sometimes think you regard everything anti EV as pure propoganda, but I'm probably wrong there, too.

Depends where it comes from.

When it's pure fake news then yes.

When there is actual reasons

Not repeating old arguments that have been disproven time and time again.

We get it you don't want one. However many people either want one or have one. Very few who have made the choice regret it.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends where it comes from.

When it's pure fake news then yes.

When there is actual reasons

Not repeating old arguments that have been disproven time and time again.

We get it you don't want one. However many people either want one or have one. Very few who have made the choice regret it.

Or admit to regeretting it?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First bill after switching to Octopus flex … (has a few days that is not covered)

Total consumption >> £74
Total Export >> £54

Nett leccy £20 (we also have gas for heating)

Just for additional context, the glorious £20 also includes charging the EV every night. Pre EV, my old Diesel SUV would do about 3 full tanks over 2 months. So about £150 a month of fuel.

Solar without battery is meaningless. EV without solar and home charging is way to go

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First bill after switching to Octopus flex … (has a few days that is not covered)

Total consumption >> £74
Total Export >> £54

Nett leccy £20 (we also have gas for heating)

Just for additional context, the glorious £20 also includes charging the EV every night. Pre EV, my old Diesel SUV would do about 3 full tanks over 2 months. So about £150 a month of fuel.

Solar without battery is meaningless. EV without solar and home charging is way to go

Screenshot_2024-05-10-18-12-26-92_f90b96e7af3c5a594eb0c92de7fc5fe1.jpg

I had writers block for something the other day so I busied my mind with this sheet to track the milage I've done in each car since February. The cost of home charging and the cost of public charging

The public charging thus far is all Kia

£15 Kia
£5 Kona

I'll take that

Certainly cheaper than before

My aim is to track for a year and compare how much export I get from solar compared to what I pay for charging the car

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Can you elaborate on exactly what you mean by that statement?

It sounds like you're saying that there's no point having solar unless you also have a battery. But I might have misunderstood what you're getting at.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
The misses is starting to look at cars when we are out. Our Focus finally gets to her.

We are getting there. I am pointing out Kia Niro, Hyundai Kona and MG 5s when I see them. Only the Kona seems to come in the right colour so far ;-)

She does notice the i3 from BMW but it is way to small and all of them are too old anyway.